The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:17 pm 
Hi my names jack and this is my first post but have been reading for a relatively long while. I'm 17 and have been looking for a 1300fwd or 1500 and have been to see a couple locally. However i am a little unsure exactly what i should be looking for when i go to see the cars in person. Obviously i dont want to let good opportunities pass me by when they are very salvagable cars, but equally dont want to wast my really rather limited supply of money on a lost cause.
Thanks for any advice :D .

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:58 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

The first thing to do is check if anyone will actually insure you as increasingly this is becoming an issue on classic cars. Regular insurance can't really be recommended so you'd need to look at a classic policy. It's a starter for ten anyway.

Other than that find the best car you can body wise, mechanics can be costly but are fairly straight forward and far cheaper than rescuing a heap of bodywork.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:13 pm 
Thanks any particular insurers thet i should try i've been rejected by a few all ready due to the fact i'm under 21 but i hear peter james and footman james are possibilities?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:28 pm 
Footman James will still insure, and competitively compared to say a modern policy for a Fiesta or a Corsa, but nowhere near what it was last year. Realistically you're looking at about £1.1k from them. Peter James will at slightly less but you have to be in a club (not talking this one down but the TSSC appears to have more sway). It changes on a weekly basis though. FJ were able to quote me on my bike 3 weeks ago, two weeks ago when I called they couldn't, then this week they called me saying that they could.

This thread has an excellent check list of what to look for on fwd cars provided for me by Nathan.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Having just spoken to Peter James of Peter James Insurance, I have been assured that Triumph Dolomite Club members will not be forced to join any other club in order to qualify for classic car policies with them. Drivers aged 17-24 will be able to obtain classic car insurance but it will be on a per case basis. It is unlikely that drivers under 21 years of age will be able to insure a Sprint or 1850 with Peter James, but anything under 1500cc shouldn't be a problem. As mentioned though, it will be down to individual circumstances, some drivers may qualify, some may not, so best to enquire.

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:09 pm 
Thanks for your help, will post any news and hopefully will return soon as a proud owner of my very own triumph!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:45 pm 
Bear in mind that Peter James' policies include one that doesn't accrue no-claim discount, as a young driver you'd be best off trying to get insurance that does build a NCD for you since this brings the cost down significantly with each year.

My Dolomite's insurance was with them and was an unlimited mileage policy that accrued no claims and still gave me a written valuation agreement just like the cherished policies do.
It didn't cost that much more either, the car would have cost me £82 on a second car, cherished policy which it's important to realise cannot be used on your only car but on an everyday, fully comp policy, unlimited mileage and as my only road-legal car at that time it did cost a whopping £85. That's per year by the way.

Before you check the above costs for decimal place disease, I'm 47, in a safe profession, have held a UK licence for 31 years (yes, from age 16) and only had one claim against my own insurance which happened in 1985.
As a first time driver/insured person then yes, you'll need to pay a bit more but it'll drop away soon enough. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:49 am 
Hi try HIC ON 08448884888 with there policys you can build a no claims discount Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:41 pm 
Good to see a fellow youth has an interest the classics ! I'm 18 and I've just bought a 1978 dolomite 1300 rwd. Still looking for decent insurance though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 am 
Quote:
Good to see a fellow youth has an interest the classics ! I'm 18 and I've just bought a 1978 dolomite 1300 rwd. Still looking for decent insurance though.
Quote:
Having just spoken to Peter James of Peter James Insurance, I have been assured that Triumph Dolomite Club members will not be forced to join any other club in order to qualify for classic car policies with them. Drivers aged 17-24 will be able to obtain classic car insurance but it will be on a per case basis. It is unlikely that drivers under 21 years of age will be able to insure a Sprint or 1850 with Peter James, but anything under 1500cc shouldn't be a problem. As mentioned though, it will be down to individual circumstances, some drivers may qualify, some may not, so best to enquire.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:17 am 
ill be sure look into that, thakyou.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:45 pm 
Thanks for all the advice guys, gonna continue phoning around the insurers tommorow fingers crossed I'll get a quote that is possible for me to go with, also i'm considering heading down to Quiller Triumph in London at the weekend,anyone if it'll be worthwhile or are most of their cars lost causes in terms of restoration?
Thanks again Jackc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:32 am 
TDC Events Officer

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice guys, gonna continue phoning around the insurers tommorow fingers crossed I'll get a quote that is possible for me to go with, also i'm considering heading down to Quiller Triumph in London at the weekend,anyone if it'll be worthwhile or are most of their cars lost causes in terms of restoration?
Thanks again Jackc.
Unless you are a dab hand with a MIG welder, or intend to become a dab hand with a MIG welder, I wouldn't look for a project. Buy the very best one you can as otherwise it will become a bit of a money pit (seven years and the thick end of £10k later and mine is still nowhere near finished!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:56 am 
This:
Quote:
.....Unless you are a dab hand with a MIG welder, or intend to become a dab hand with a MIG welder, I wouldn't look for a project. Buy the very best one you can as otherwise it will become a bit of a money pit (seven years and the thick end of £10k later and mine is still nowhere near finished!)
is good advice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:42 pm 
Completely agree with the above, I took the time to find a good'n and theres still stuff that needs doing, carb rebuild, rust under the fuel tank etc... On the bright side I just got a quote for 1000 pounds for a years insurance, not bad for an 18 year old.