The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New FWD Owner!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:54 pm 
Hi everyone,

Just bought a 1967 1300 FWD, some of you will probably have seen it on Ebay (burgundy with 38k on the clock).

I have always been into my Italian classics (Lancia/Fiat) but after buying a 73 Mini I seem to have fallen for the Brits now! The Mini is great but not the best car for everyday use so I decided to get a Rover P6 or a Triumph 2.5. After viewing a few of them and trying to find a good one I came across the 1300 on ebay and bought it.

Picked it up this morning and took it straight for MOT, it failed as I was expecting but only on minor bits and bobs so should be road legal tomorrow!

I have been told it was bought in 1967 for a gentleman's valet who didnt use it much. The Service history is all there and backs the history up. Its a solid car, never restored and until a few months ago still has the plastic coverings on all the door cars.

Looking forward to using the car after my short drive to the garage in it (very impressed with the quality and mechanics).

David

Attachments:
Front.jpg
Front.jpg [ 64.56 KiB | Viewed 3215 times ]

Post subject: Re: New FWD Owner!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:24 am 
:eyes4u: Very nice indeed.

Post subject: Hello and.......
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:57 am 
TDC Member

Welcome to the forum David.

Ian.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:27 am 
That looks like a really nice 1300 - really like the front of the 1300 something about the bonnet just looks class.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:50 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Welcome to the forum.

The 1300fwd was designed by an Italian (the late great Giovanni Michelotti) if that's of any consolation to you...

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:01 am 
Quote:
Welcome to the forum.

The 1300fwd was designed by an Italian (the late great Giovanni Michelotti) if that's of any consolation to you...
Sorry to pedantic :oops: .

It wasn't designed by Michellotti it was designed by the engineers at Standard Triumph headed up by Harry Webster.

It was styled by Michellotti.

:oops:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:43 pm 
Thanks everyone.

Today was my 1st day driving it around and I have totally fallen for it!! :eyes4u:

Im still trying to get used to the qwerks (switch gear layout, especially the headlights!!).

Does anyone know if they all came with the plug in lamp thing that clips onto the window? I think its a parking lamp (red on one side and white on the other)

Gave it a little polish today but tomorrow im (hopefuly) going for the big T cut and polishing session followed by polished the chrome work. I cleaned all of the interior today except for the carpets as they need a really good going over with a shampooer and its looking good. The headlining is like new it was just mouldy under the visors where condensation had built up.

I will post some more pics when I get chance too! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:11 am 
Quote:

Does anyone know if they all came with the plug in lamp thing that clips onto the window? I think its a parking lamp (red on one side and white on the other)
Pretty sure that was an accessory that could be bought through somewhere like Halfords. They're pretty funky looking and add to make a great period accessory too 8) .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:31 pm 
Quote:
Quote:

Pretty sure that was an accessory that could be bought through somewhere like Halfords. They're pretty funky looking and add to make a great period accessory too 8) .
It came with a few period accessories (including one of those huge perspex wind deflectors, needless to say that is staying off!!), the lamp plug has been professionally fitted and still works too! In fact so far (touch wood) everything on it works except for the sender unit in the fuel tank.

Spent that much time polishing chrome and tinkering i didnt get chance to start the paintwork today, oh well maybe tomorrow!

The sender is a Smiths one and has totally stuck, i have tried cleaning and WD40ing but it seems to be beyond fixing. Does anyone know if any others fit the 1300 fwd?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 pm 
Hello and welcome! Lovely FWD you have there.

One thing I would suggest is to try the Meguires compound. MUCH better than Tcut and a lot less effort to use. I think I have a NOS sender in the garage which is surplus to requirements. Just let me know if you are interested.

Whereabouts are you?

Ken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:09 pm 
TDC Member

OOh, I could be interested in the wind deflector!

Welcome the the world of the car before the modern Dolomite!

1965 Triumph 2000 black and rust
1967 BSA B40wd green
2018 Jaguar E pace 2018
NOBODY expects the Canley Inquisition!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:41 pm 
TDC Member

Wonderful cars with a totally different feel to any other Dolomite shaped vehicle. Truly streets ahead of their competition in their day.

Well done on a discerning choice, and welcome.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:18 pm 
Quote:
OOh, I could be interested in the wind deflector!

Welcome the the world of the car before the modern Dolomite!
I will get you some pictures this week!

Thanks Ken I have PM'ed you!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:19 am 
You have PM. :D