The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:15 pm 
Hello, this is my first post of hopefully many with in this forum.

I will cut to the chase. I am looking at buying a Dolomite in June, as i've previously owned a classic car I like to think I know some of the trials and tribulations that go along with owning an old car.

However, I was wondering, how much dolly do you think I could get for my money? I have about £1,500 saved up to purchase one, I am not looking for a sprint (as much as I would love one), but i'm just wondering what the users of this forum believe I should get for this amount of money in terms of condition?

One other question, how do you believe a Dolomite would fare as a daily car? I have seen quite a few people who are selling them indicate that they have used them daily.

I know this is kind of a vague post but it would be nice to have some kind of inclination.

(I've checked as much as I can to see if there are any posts similar to this one in order to not keep asking questions that other people have, if there is a similar thread, please direct me).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:10 am 
Get an 1850HL, with overdrive if possible. They regularly drop within your budget.
I used my Sprint pretty much daily for 2 years. Electronic ignition is a worthwhile mod to boost reliability and power.
After 2 years mine did start to rot, hence why it's now being semi-restored and turning into a dry day only car. The most important thing with these cars is to treat what rust there is and then protect it and keep on top of it. I think I speak for us all when I say the majority of our weekends are spent tinkering!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:29 am 
Your budget would stretch to a Sprint, mine was £1300 a year ago - and you can get one with an MOT (as mine) but you'll be looking at one that needs a lot doing to it - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22230 - you can see the ebay link here and can click it and go to 'original listing' to see the ad.

Not sure about the other models although I have an 1850HL which I bought last weekend, it owes me about £550 as I had to get it from Cornwall and needs a hundred quid and a few hours to get it going properly - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24293. With a bit of tidying up (interior is already pretty much mint) and all road legal it'll probably go for lot less than your maximum so there is a lot of value to be had with these cars.

As a daily driver they're fine, but if my journey was essential I think I'd take the Volvo.

Welcome to the forum by the way :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

You're unlikely to get a very good Sprint for £1500 if I'm honest, a rough example or a project yes but I wouldn't expect to buy a well sorted daily for that money.

I agree smart money s on an 1850 with o/d or perhaps a 1500 with o/d if you do less high speed miles.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:21 am 
i managed to pick up my dolly the other week for £980 which is 1500 hl with o/d and years tax and test with many extras such as sun roof, central locking, alarm and immobiliser fitted. I think as with most things cars are usually found within an owners club/classic car site or eBay, mine came from eBay and I got a very good car which is 80-85% solid. Sometimes you get a bargain and others will go for over there price. I think its just luck of the draw really and has to be the right day.

I have seen sprints recentely going for £1300-£1700 but again it will no doubt require some sort of work, but hopefully nothing major ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:32 am 
Even though it falls with in my budget I'm not looking for a Sprint due to the insurance on it.

I'm hoping to buy something thats not really a project and can be bought and driven straight away with minimal work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:02 am 
If your not in a rush just bide your time and you may get a member selling their car.That way you might be able to read their posts and renovation techniques used on the car as a bit of a guide to the history of it :D You might just get caught out buying the unknown :shock: Also people on the forum if you give them your requirements will steer you in the right direction i.e Lots of motorway/fast driving speeds look for the overdrive models(less work for you if you then find you need one),Town driving not really needed.
Good luck :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:45 am 
Thank you that sounds ideal (also thank you for all the ideas so far, they're really helpful).

I think i'd definitely be looking for a car with overdrive, even though it's all mainly just town driving it'd be nice to still have the ability.

Just hoping that for £1,500 I can get something that is in pretty good condition.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:04 am 
Good luck with the search....one thing though don't overlook the Toledo, they do turn up for sale and for your budget you could get a very very good one and possibly have a little left over to improve it further.

All the best

James

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:27 am 
The Toledo is what actually first got me interested. At the time one of my friends Dad's was selling his Toledo, even though I was interested I was too busy going through hell with an old mini.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am 
Where in the country are you Carl? A number of Toledos have been offered to me in recent days, I could put you in touch if they are still available.

Incidentally all are absolutely fine for regular use: I did 24,000 miles one year in my standard Toledo. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:38 am 
That sounds brilliant, I doubt i'd cover more than 12, 000 miles. I'm not looking to purchase anything really until June, but it would be great to have a look.

I'm situated in the south west, in a little town called Warminster in West Wiltshire.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:46 am 
I ran a Dolomite 1300 as my everyday car for 11 years, I don't think there was ever a time it didn't get me to where I was going and home again, they are well engineered, simple cars that always get a positive reaction for people.

You won't regret getting one :wink: .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:39 pm 
I spent 5 years trying to run an old mini as a daily car and it was a nightmare, so I'm definitely hoping for an easier ride.

Also I know dry storage is preferable but would a big all weather car cover suffice?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:11 pm 
I think Toledo's are excellent, I know I crossed to the dark side and now have a Dolly, my old Tolly was an excellent part time daily doing the 30 odd mile round trip from Wycombe to Heathrow 3 times a week with no problems. She took me on holiday round the Lake District and did a weekend to Holland as well various longish trips to visit family around the UK - a great car....the 2 doors look very good but the 4 doors are little more practical.

James