The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A fair price?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:25 pm 
I have been to look at a late Dolomite 1300 today. Unrestored, on original paint (mostly), very clean underneath, no visible rot only a few scabs, clean interior and shiny original paint. No water leaks in, no oil leaks out, test drive showed a nicely running engine and smooth box - all in all a nice motor I think except for scabs, a slightly bent edge of a wing, etc. But the owner won't budge past 1800 pounds. Is this a rip off? What are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: A fair price?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:33 pm 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-DOLOM ... 2ec8926d63

Around same price,compare them

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:59 pm 
Hmn, it seems very much like the one on Ebay at present, but don't know if that is a 'good' price either. If this one was a Morris Minor in this condition, I'd snap it up! If it was a 1998 Ford Fiesta I'd laugh and walk away... you see I don't know the market - can anybody here give me an 'indication'?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:12 pm 
TDC Events Officer

It's more collectible than a 1998 Fiesta, less collectible than a Morris Minor. It's sometimes said that any immaculate classic, even one that's completely unlovable, is worth about £2000 on the open market just because there's always a bit of a market for old iron. You can work backwards from there. The eBay ad you posted is about right for the money - nothing especially special about a brown 1980 4 door saloon with a small engine to the general market, but it's a nice example of the breed, doesn't need anything doing to it apart from maintenance, and won't depreciate.

I would say £1800 might be a bit rich if there is some obvious work that needs to be done to the one you've been to look at. £1500 may be a bit nearer the mark to price in the damage to the wing and the rust scabs IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:18 pm 
Thank you. Some good pointers there - need to have a good think. :?:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:38 pm 
Well, I got it slightly cheaper and with a year's tax. True, a few scabs, slight bend on wing BUT drives beautifully, unmarked interior - and am very happy, drove 30 miles home gracefully and now in-service as my main car. Time to join the club me think!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:11 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Quote:
Well, I got it slightly cheaper and with a year's tax. True, a few scabs, slight bend on wing BUT drives beautifully, unmarked interior - and am very happy, drove 30 miles home gracefully and now in-service as my main car. Time to join the club me think!

:thumbsup:

Congratulations! Have you got any pictures?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:47 pm 
Hi, no but will post some asap. Too wet at the moment, but have been using it every day for work - the Fiesta can finally go... but have found one technical problem... I'll post that on the right bit though.