The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:20 pm 
Dolomites make great daily drivers. I'd also choose an 1850 over a 1500 anyday :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:34 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

3 miles from me, and indeed I am bidding on it. Had a chat to the bloke and should be going to see it over the weekend.

The stored for 20 years is I believe stored and not run for 20 years.....

come on then who else is bidding. I'll sidestep if its one of you?

Last edited by David6214 on Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:03 pm 
Does anyone know anything about this beasty that just appeared on auto-trader? It's got to be the most vague add I've ever come across. :roll:

Link

Cheers
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:36 am 

Weirdly I followed several of the links and got to this.....

Picture of vehicle
Enlarge

Picture of vehicle Picture of vehicle Picture of vehicle Picture of vehicle
1980 TRIUMPH DOLOMITE SPRINT
Red, MOT-12-2007. Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Cloth upholstery, Tinted glass, Towbar, Wood/wood effect trim. £2,500 p/x welcome.

!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:52 am 
Could be worth a look Ben, if only so you can gauge all the others against it :( . Obviously a trader so a phonecall to sound him out wouldnt go amiss, i would like to think they know what they are talking about..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:39 pm 
Rather late but - 1850's 4tw :D

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:55 pm 
Quote:
Could be worth a look Ben, if only so you can gauge all the others against it :( . Obviously a trader so a phonecall to sound him out wouldnt go amiss, i would like to think they know what they are talking about..........
There's something about a "trader" that only supplies a mobile phone number that worries me slightly. Gave them a call and got no answer so :roll:
Quote:
Rather late but - 1850's 4tw :D

Phil
I'm coming round to that way of thinking :wink:

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:27 pm 
This one has been listed for a while. Might still be available and it's in the Cambridgeshire area. Needs work but looks good in the pics.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... arno/11959

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:24 pm 
Quote:
This one has been listed for a while. Might still be available and it's in the Cambridgeshire area. Needs work but looks good in the pics.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... arno/11959
Great, thanks for that. Will definitely check that out if the one I'm looking at falls through.

Cheers
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:13 pm 
Well, here she is. Didn't take too long now did it?

The rig.

Some **** in a dolly followed us all the way back!

Home, after an unexpected shower. The paintwork cleaned up really nicely with the kicked up spray but I will attempt to make a proper job of it tomorrow.

A check through the log book revealed receipts for large amounts of body work (wings/sills/front panel etc.) as well as a respray before she was laid-up which would explain the extremely good condition. Not only that but an added bonus was the four tyres that have remained fully inflated since the beginning of the week and caused no fuss when moving her to the trailer.

The engine is still very stiff and the clutch doesn't seem too well either but they can be tackled in time. Will be posting a list shortly of all the bits I'll be needing :P

Overall, one seriously happy dolomite owner here. Can't wait to get started!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:24 pm 

Is that the free one?

bit cleaner than my sprint :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:26 pm 
At least yours has the majority of an exhaust :P

edit: ...and is a proper colour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:40 pm 
So you dont want to be in the brown gang ?, :oops: brown cars dont rust as bad :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:48 pm 

Quote:
At least yours has the majority of an exhaust :P

edit: ...and is a proper colour.
Cosmetic use only that pipe, big load of soot came out of it when I started it up. It didn't blow as the rust was holding itself to itself. When I gave it a tap it basically dissolved :lol: :lol: Got a Stainless one for only a few quid.
I do like the colour though, once it's all sprayed and finished it'll be a class bit of kit.

Try and get a Stainless pipe if you can, I've read that a sprint sports pipe fits easily with only an adapter on the downpipe.
Oh, and that brown looks OK to me, it's the Russet one that looks a bit more, er, um, well, y'know :barf:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:03 pm 
Have to say the brown is growing on me; it improved dramatically as I watched all the dirt get washed off on the trip home. :D Certainly a respray isn't a priority, engine running>MOT>sprint alloys is the current plan.

Quite amazed actually, just checked through the details and it turns out that I'm the second owner (good going on a 34 year old car really).

Colin, I would be very interested in knowing where you can get a stainless zorst on the cheap :P

Cheers
Ben