The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hi from a new owner!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:09 pm 
It's about time I introduce myself to the forum. I joined towards the end of last year to post some pictures of FOK 190L, the 1500 fwd that had ended up in Albert Looms' scrapyard, only to find I'd been beaten to it (I did try to buy that car, and the certificate of destruction had yet to be issued, but they wouldn't budge :snivel: ).

So anyway, I'm Ben, 21 and from Norwich, although currently living in Derby. I've been obsessed with cars my entire life, classics being my main interest. I've spent the last 4 years without a car of my own because of astronomical insurance prices, coupled with no real need for one. Besides, I had 2 mopeds and access to my parents car!

On to the car I've bought then. It's a '72 1500 fwd (funnily enough), in glorious brown. I went to view it on Monday, and fell in love. I thought the car looked oddly familiar, turns out the seller only bought it last December, and I'd happened upon the advert for it a number of times (it is still up http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/car ... 72/222112/). The guy paid the full £1100 for it, drove it 50 miles, and put it on ebay 3 months later. Apparently he hasn't got time to put it right, which is fair enough, as the big ends need replacing (I'll be needing help with that one!). The real kicker though? I won it for £390 :D

Picking it up on Saturday (hopefully). Can't ****ing wait!

Post subject: Re: Hi from a new owner!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:25 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Welcome to the forum.

You did well considering what the previous owner paid! There are 2 ways of doing the bearings and both involve separating the engine and gearbox so you can access the crankshaft to replace the bearings. You can either lift the engine leaving the gearbox in situ or you can remove the whole lot and separate the engine and gearbox once they're out of the car. You will need an engine crane and ideally, this needs to be done under cover (even a carport is better than nothing!). Please start a thread in the "restorations" section and keep us updated on your progress. Don't forget to include some photos.

I can supply you with the parts catalogue and workshop manual in PDF format. Please feel free to ask any questions if you need to pick our collective brains.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:42 pm 
Hello Ben - WELCOME! :D

It was crying shame about FOK 190L but there you go.... :snivel: .

However, this brown beauty looks full of potential, you obviously have the enthusiasm, we have the knowledge you need so we should all rub along really well.

Any questions you have (no matter how "trivial") please ask.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:03 pm 
Thanks for the warm welcome.

@Toledo Man whilst I have the necessary tools to replace the bearings (bar engine hoist! Either borrow my friends' dads' one or use block and tackle from sailing spares?) most of them are in Norwich! So I'll either limp the car the 140 miles home or put a shout out on here + retrorides for local (to Derby) assistance. I'll cross that bridge on Saturday. Resto thread + pics will follow.

Those PDFs would be handy, do I need to PM you my email address?

@DoloWIGHTY Cheers, and whilst I have had some experience with mechanics, I'm sure there'll be a few 'what on Gods earth does this thing do?!' type questions to come. I've never laid a finger on a welder, and am scared about fixing the holed sills, but I'm sure some advice + some practice will sort that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:52 pm 
Just got back from picking the car up, it was... interesting. I'll start a resto thread after lunch!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 pm 

Ben, just PM me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you the parts catalogue, the factory workshop manual or both.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:26 am 

Im in Norwich too..
Engine crane here if you need one, or help / advice.. Ive swopped a 1300FWD gearbox before, and its easier to take the whole thing out and split it on on the floor. Its a heavy beast though..
Matt.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:33 pm 

Quote:
Im in Norwich too..
Engine crane here if you need one, or help / advice.. Ive swopped a 1300FWD gearbox before, and its easier to take the whole thing out and split it on on the floor. Its a heavy beast though..
Matt.

If doing a gearbox change it will be easier to take the whole lot out but if its only the engine that needs to be removed it is easier to leave the box in situ as you are not disturbing the drive shafts or donuts and it saves having to lift the very heavy gearbox.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:26 pm 

Really??
I would have thought that providing your lifting gear is up to it, then removing the driveshaft inner couplings (easy) and the engine mounts (also easy) then lifting the whole lot out in one go is vastly preferable to trying to get to all the sump bolts in situ, also the hassle involved in trying to line up and get a decent seal with the gasket with the engine swinging from a hoist over the gearbox... shudders...
Ive pulled the whole lot out on a 1300FWD and its really no big deal. Would far rather do that and split it later than your way :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:55 pm 

Only speaking form experience from having down more engine changes than I care to count, also lining back up is easy as there are locating lugs and no need for a hoist if you have a couple of mates.

New metalastic rotoflexes are £120 each which is another reason why I don't disturb them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:41 pm 
@Toledo Man PM'd :)

@Matt of the Vivas I may well take you up on the offer of the crane + help, if you're up for it. I'm coming back to Norwich tomorrow, for a week, but taking the train :cry: so no engine lifting action for the time being. I'll be picking up my tools + nicking a few of my Dad's 8) so that I can fix the wayward steering.

As for the debate whether or not to leave the gearbox in the car, I'd prefer the quicker/easier method, but it depends how big a risk there is of damaging the rotoflexes. Spending £240 on replacing broken bits is one thing, but spending that on something you break yourself would be pretty galling. Hmm :-k

I'll put a video of the engine noises on the resto thread so people can give their prognosis.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:52 pm 

Im always up for old car action....
Got most tools etc here the mortal remains of a 75 1500 TC for bits, if you need anything.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:18 pm 
@Matt Good to hear. I'll let you know when I'm thinking of bringing the car to Norwich, and check that you're not busy :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:00 pm 
Hi Ben,
I've just bought a 1975 1500, also very happy and slowly learning with a lot of help from this forum.
Sarah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:05 pm 
Sarah- That's great to hear. This forum is a brilliant resource for new owners, I can vouch for that. You should start a thread in the resto section and post some pictures!