The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Help! with the welding
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:18 am 
TDC Member

Hi, I'm looking for some assistance in Central Scotland (Cumbernauld) with welding work (quite substantial) or I'll need to get a donor shell which I don't really want to do 'cos that effectively kills off one of our cars.
I know there is a place (Clydesdale in Carluke) that advertises on ebay, anybody used them or know of them?
Any advice would be appreciated to help get NollyDolly back on the road.
Cheers Doug.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:35 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for some assistance in Central Scotland (Cumbernauld) with welding work (quite substantial) or I'll need to get a donor shell which I don't really want to do 'cos that effectively kills off one of our cars.
I know there is a place (Clydesdale in Carluke) that advertises on ebay, anybody used them or know of them?
Any advice would be appreciated to help get NollyDolly back on the road.
Cheers Doug.
How bad is it? You can pickup a decent mig welder for £200, and patching things to a reasonable standard doesn't take long to learn. Most serious stuff, like a whole sill replacement, then getting a professional may well be wise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:13 pm 
Hi Doug,
I live in Greenock so its a wee bit of a trek for me but I DO go to Wishaw every other week to see my teenage son so I could pop in some time,have a chat and see if I can help out in any way?

David.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:10 am 
TDC Member

Thank for the advice guys, and cleverusername, I would agree MIG welding is the way to go, did my own (taught myself) outrigger replacement to a Vitesse back in the 90's but I have a pacemaker now and not allowed to use the elec welding (too much heavy direct current) but I would recommend that route to anybody thinking of trying it (if I did it anybody can)
Davy, I'm sending NollyDolly to Dave Mutch in Hamilton for the welding, and hope to get her MOT'd this year, then work as a running restoration (that's the plan) so maybe we could meet up once she is roadworthy.
Are there any more members in the Glasgow area?
Doug.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:54 pm 
Doug, glad you found someone local to do your welding. My welder packed in the other day when I finally got round to doing that repair on the end of the chassis leg ( OK, i DID forget it was needing done!!) So I'm watching a couple of internet sites to find another one. More expense :?
I was in Dunfermline on Sunday for a classic car show organise by the Scottish Ford Owners Club. I travelled over in my mates Mk2 3litre S. Oh the shame!
But while there I met a forum member and his brown ( russet?) Sprint called Craig and he lives in Renfrew, not far from me, but I'm not sure if there are any other owners in the Glasgow/Central area? It would be nice if they could make themselves knon to us and meet up?
There is a another event coming up in October at Castle Semple, LochWinnoch which I will be attending, if you can make it?
Sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent there guys.

I will post some photos of the front end of my Sprint and describe what my plans are to make the panels fit properly, so any input/ critique would be welcomed

David

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:43 am 

Why don't you step up and become an Area Organiser? I'm sure Andy P. will furnish you with the contact details of local TDC members. You will need to join the Club first.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:12 pm 
I am already a member of the club and have been for several of years now, but I dont know how to update my status on the forum??

David

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:48 am 

Drop a PM to Andy P. (triumphdolomiteuk) and he'll sort it out for you.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle