The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: 1977 Dolomite 1300!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:03 pm 
Hello everyone,
A couple of months ago I bagged a blue dolly from ebay! Im 17 at the moment and learning to drive :D I'm in love with it but there are obviously a few issues......like the fact that it doesn't quite start :lol: which my friends and their little fiesta's think is hilarious. At least i have style :P
Any way, Here she is....under the protection of a grapevine laden carport :)
It turns over, but Im pretty sure it needs a new distributer, as I'm not getting any sparking at all! Im thinking about an electrical one.....Any recommendations?

Hoping to join the club very soon!
Thanks
Dalton

Post subject: Re: 1977 Dolomite 1300!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:10 am 
TDC Member

Welcome to the forum! :)

There's not a great deal to go wrong with the distributor itself, it'll be something electrical if it's not sparking.

First check you are getting power to the coil, then check power from the coil, gradually working your way along the ignition circuit.

It's probably worth getting new points, condenser, plugs and HT leads anyway. Do that, along with setting the timing and the tappets you should be all set!

I'd highly recommend going for an electronic ignition module, it will replace the electronics inside your original distributor. To fit this you'll need to bypass the ballast resistor and change the coil too..

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:40 am 
Thank you for the welcome and the advice ! Are there any specific electric ignition kits or brands to go for?
Dalton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:17 am 
I would work with what you've got just now, then change to electronic ignition once the car is running.
As Howard says, new points and set the gap and static timing, get yourself at least two new condensors (even new ones can be faulty) and work through the system.

Welcome. :bluewave:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:25 am 
TDC Member

Welcome to the forum, looks like a solid car you've got there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:39 am 
Thanks for the advice! :lol:
Looks like this morning will be spent shopping!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:43 am 
Is this the sort of think ( with a new set of ht leads and plugs ) i'm looking for?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-45D-Poi ... 1e67cff164

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:43 am 
Yep, looks like the bits you need.
The vendor also does electronic ignition, so once you get your car running I would pop an electronic unit in there.
Why get it running on points first? I think it's easier to diagnose faults with the old-fashioned kit on it, and you can't really break it.
Search this forum (or any other) on how to test the coil etc before splashing cash, although for £9.45 you might as well bang straight in there!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:57 pm 
Thanks for the advice! Hopefully It won't be too long before she's back on the road! She been garage since before I was born ! Lol :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:47 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Hello Dalton, a cracking looking car you have there..an excellent choice! 8)

Please keep the questions and pics coming..

Loads of guru's bursting with knowledge on this forum ready to give you advice should you need it. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:57 pm 
Here a few snaps!

The good news is almost all of the car is rust free, with a couple of small exceptions!
:o

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:04 pm 
TDC Member

Try and keep the rust at bay - if it's going to live outside you'll be impressed by how quick "a bit" of rust will turn into "a lot".

The very best thing to do, especially on a bit like your bootlid, is to stop the rust getting worse and then protect it. Get rid of all of the loose rust and then apply some kind of rust converter (jenolite is a well known brand but there are loads of others - your local proper DIY shop will have something workable for sorting out garden furniture).

It'll chemically alter the rust to stop it getting worse. You can then paint over the top of the rust - there is a blue hammerite that's not a million miles away from the colour of your car IIRC, and that will make sure that the repair is weatherproof. It won't be perfect, but it will definitely stop it progressing. You can always do a pretty fix later, once you've learnt how to weld. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:19 am 
Quote:
Get rid of all of the loose rust and then apply some kind of rust converter.
You can then paint over the top of the rust - there is a blue hammerite that's not a million miles away from the colour of your car
My thoughts exactly. I'm using the blue myself and, from the look of your car, it should be quite near.

2 or possibly 3 good coats should see you through until you can give it more attention, but do it a.s.a.p.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:22 am 
Hi you have a great looking car in the making there.
Very similar to mine in every way apart from colour. How is it coming along
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:36 am 
Hi Chris,
I've started a restoration thread called project TYD which now will chronicle my progress :)
I too noticed the similarities when i saw your recent post ! hopefully they will be at the standard of some of the guys on here before too long.
As for progress, its going slowly but surely, at the moment I'm waiting on a new slave cylinder to sort some clutch issues (hopefully)
For now its a bit of body work :D hope you are enjoying yours as much as i am mine :)