The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sprint Price Guide
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:08 am 
Hi Guys
This is my first post so please go gently. :wink:
I joined at this years N.E.C where I had a chat with PaulB regarding his fantastic Dolly Sprint.
I'm looking for general advice on what to expect for different price groups regarding the Sprint.
Those price groups would be ;
£2000-£3000
£3000-£4000
£4000-£5000
I am currently saving up my pennies and hope to be in a position to purchase around April next year. (good things come to those that wait :) )
Looking forward to all your advice and tips
Thank you
Mark

Post subject: Re: Sprint Price Guide
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:02 pm 
Welcome to the forum :D
Hopefully some of the members with more knowledge will be along soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:09 pm 
Thank you for your welcome Bill
I feel like I've asked a question, nobody should ever ask ! :oops:
I realize guessing condition/prices is a little subjective,
But I dont have a clue and I'm sure there are people here that have more of an idea than me.
Awaiting the words of wisdom anxiously
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:31 pm 
If it helps, I have a tatty 1850 with good mechanicals (other than the niggly gearbox), working overdrive, Sundym glass, MOT'd until April 2015, reconned head, etc etc, yours for the miserly sum of £10,000.

So, you're right to ask :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:54 pm 
TDC Member

This looks nice for £4K, I think even the lower end of your budget will get you a very presentable car.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C547251#

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:47 pm 
Thanks Tony for your reply.
I have no budget set ; those prices were just a general guide.
I'm saving now, until April / May time, and whatever I have by then, will go towards a Sprint.
The link above looks very nice, quite cheap I thought (am i correct in thinking this?) Its also been advertised for a while.
Anyway I m not in a position to purchase just yet.
I'm looking for valued opinion (from members ) - not car, at the moment. :)
Would a Sprint around £2000-£3000 need much work ?
Should I expect it to have no rust ?
Should the engine require no work ?
Should the interior be complete and no damage ?
Or is that too much to ask ?
Advice welcome.
Cheers Mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:29 am 
The price cars are advertised at varies a lot, but £4k+ cars should be in very good condition. A lot also depends on your ability to do work on the car you buy, if you look at a car that you can't repair improve yourself then you'd probably be better off walking away because you will usually save money by buying a car that doesn't need the work doing; the extra cost being less than the bills you will pay out to get the work done. I get the impression that you may not have a great deal of experience of these cars, so my advice is to get out looking and build your knowledge before you buy. You don't have to stick with sprints to build your experience of bodywork and interiors, they're all the same on the outside and near enough on the inside. Drive the cars too when possible.
Once you begin to get a feel for the cars and their values you will get a better idea of what you really want to buy and what you are prepared to pay for it. But I would also suggest you hold back and keep saving until you have enough to buy the car you really want because then you are most likely to get the best owner experience and the big plus is that the car, if maintained, will always hold it's value. Talking about value Dolomite's in general are fantastic and even sprints are much better value than their period sporting rivals. And lastly asking for help on here is the right thing to do. If you look at a car and want an opinion take pictures, mostly of the bad bits and post them and your questions because someone here knows the answer.
Welcome and good luck, it always helps!
Andy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:05 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hello Mark,
Brilliant that you are so committed to Sprint ownership, and thank you for the comment on my car.

I would strongly recommend taking advice on any car before you buy it. There is a lot of over priced rubbish out there and bargains are rare. It is very easy to spend a lot of money and buy something which will cost you even more to get properly road worthy and reliable. Even the youngest Sprints are now 35 years old and they weren't built to last!

Is there an active club membership in your area? If so go along to the meetings and get to know the people. They will often know of good cars which are potentially for sale. They would also probablybe willing to go view a car with you.

Good luck with your saving and look forward to seeing what you buy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:02 pm 

Welcome to the forum Mark. It is worth joining the Club even though you don't yet have a car. Wherabouts are you? There could well be somebody local to you who can help. I can't really add much to what's already been said. It is worth learning how to do some jobs yourself such as basic servicing and minor repairs. Knowledge is power and to this end, you can find the parts catalogues and factory workshop manuals HERE in PDF format available to download.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:01 pm 
A very warm welcome aboard Mark :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:33 pm 

Its a tough one...
What any Sprint is worth is just what someone who wants one is prepared to day on the day....

Its so hard to generalise. There are those who get really good cars for a good price and those who pay
over the odds for stuff that is hiding all sorts of issues....

Even experts can be a bit starry eyed...

I got given the job of a final sort out of a car that had a full photo resto on here. When it came to me it drove like a nail and had cost 5k! - so much was done wrong due to ignorance. I sorted most of it and then the owner sold it on getting his money back to an expert who paid a fair price as it then drove reasonably, but he's since put another ton of work into getting it spot on...

Mad Mart restos do come up occcasionally and are worth the 6-5 7.5k they make all day long...but there are only 2 I know have sold 2nd hand recently and I dont know what PUS went for

Its a minefield....so take someone who knows with you and be prepared to look at loads before you commit
and do your homework and learn to recognise a lulu and buy it even if you see it first time out.

Jonners.