The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:14 pm 
TDC Member

DVLA check says tax ran out in the mid '80s, and the number was attached to a 1998cc triumph, so it did run for a while. I wonder if it is still around?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:00 pm 
Trouble is that usually it's the homologation date that counts, although that may vary for individual club championships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:42 pm 
Quote:
Triumph apparently originally designed the 1300 that the whole range is based on with a mind to make a four wheel drive variant, so the propshaft and gap for a RWD axle have always been there.
Sorry to be pickie, triumph did make a 4WD rally cross car from the 1300 FWD body shell!! There is still some 4WD gear boxes hanging around at canley classic's!!

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:55 pm 
TDC Member

That particular car used a Triumph 2000 gearbox with two output shafts and no centre diff, mated to a Triumph 2000 IRS IIRC.

-edit-

I'm well confused now, after reading this...

http://www.gingell.com/4wd/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:02 am 
Yer pony gear box, 1300 spit engine, 2000 IRS, and I 'think' different size tyres front and back to sort out the drive bias thing

Post subject: 1500FWD - RWD / rallying
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:16 pm 
TDC Member

We have put the 1500RWD running gear into a 1500FWD just to allow us to have overdrive. Everything is there and at least you dont have to swap the dash like you would in a toledo! Just take the donar car's tunnel aswell and you have all you need.

We rallied a 2 door toledo with 1850 running gear. Del Lines aparantly did that in period, before upgrading to sprint. Our sprint version was pranged before making it to a rally :(

I think you would find it hard to show they rallied a 1500 with sprint gear, but unless you start winning everything I doubt people will question it. After killing the 2 door, we thought about using a 4 door toledo, but were told we would need to prove it was done in period (I shouldnt have asked!)

If you look at the "sprint" rally car, although it is badged dolomite it has toledo short boot, and flat dash... something a bit fishy there i think!

If you are just doing road rallies - like we did, then i think you are okay up to 74 for the historic class. pre-60 is best - extra points, but really limited choice of cars! 72 is nice as you have a tax exempt rally car when it is not being used.

David