The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:03 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Oh, you tease...... :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 pm 

Well the good news is that I now have the Sprint stored away in a mates and managed to move it between it's bone dry resting place for the past few years into it's new (hopefully short) bone dry resting place which was only about 8 miles and the weather and roads were perfect, nice and dry so car did not even get the slightest bit wet or damp so I'm very pleased with Sunday mornings efforts.

The sad news is that a very close friend of many years at the young age of just 50 with three young children and a wife lost his battle with cancer on Sunday afternoon so I'm afraid not totally the day I was hoping for even though I knew it was looming it was still a very big shock and one that I'm struggling to deal with so I'm afraid the photo's may take a couple of days for me to get my head around posting.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:14 pm 
TDC Member

Sorry to hear that Steve, one never knows what is in store for us and ours. Get stuck into that car when the time is right, never wait too long for anything.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:19 pm 
TDC Member

Condolences.
Quote:
Sorry to hear that Steve, one never knows what is in store for us and ours. Get stuck into that car when the time is right, never wait too long for anything.
Never a truer word written.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:49 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Condolences.
Quote:
Never a truer word written.
Thanks and yes, as you quite rightly say you never know what's around the corner in life, we as a family have been hit really bad over the last 8 years with every year a family member or very close friend has either been hit with a serious life changing illness mostly cancer and many have passed away so I'm a firm believer in 'live life to the full while you can' hence buying this car that I really should not but it seems like the right thing to do :D

If I get time later I'm hoping to post photo's up, I've seen that photo bucket is no more and I've seen people explain it on here before but can't seem to find any how to's at the moment, can I copy and paste straight from what ever I'm posting from (phone or laptop) or do I have to use a host as when photobucket was the thing?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:53 pm 
TDC Member

When you create a reply or new topic, there is a blue "add image to post" P just below the white text box. I think this may be only for members, to save bandwidth, not sure. Or use one of the free hosting sites, Flickr is still free at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:30 pm 

Here goes then a trial photo, collection and dropping off at my mates was all a bit of a rush as I wanted to keep the car as dry as possible which as I've said worked out very well.
My mate need to go so we had to pretty much off load, have a quick poke around and go. The poke around proved to impress the 3 of us as although the top has rust here and there and the outer sills are gone, on one side the middle strengthener is a little 'frayed' at each end but mostly very solid, the other side from what we could see and poke at is looking like mainly just the outer sills!

Anyway tester pic.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:36 pm 

AHH so that worked!!
Those 1st two were from where we collected it, as you can see a 'genuine' barn find for a change!!!

Here's a couple of where it's resting now for hopefully not too long!.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:01 am 

Quote:
Oh, you tease...... :)
Ohhh, and the twist :lol: :lol: :lol:

This was my original car that I owned when I was 18 back in about 1984/85, I kept it until about late 1986 early 1987 then I sold it to a mate who kept it for a few months then sold it to another mate who I went to college with but who has since past away, where it went to straight from him I'm not sure but I know it sat in a barn for a long time (like about 25 years before being sold to the lad I just bought it off who bought it about 2 years ago and where I picked it up from. A mate that I was an apprentice with came to see me in July last year all excited to tell me that he'd stumbled across it and was sure it was mine....I confirmed it too him by telling him the number plate!! He had many a white knuckle ride in the car back and forward to work back then :lol: :lol:
It's because it was my old one that I've been a little more secretive about things with it over the last few months as I'm not sure if the lad I bought it off is a member on this forum, he found out that it was my car and was pushing the 'sentimental value' button a little too hard for my liking :lol: he was on and off about selling it so I had to tread carefully to get the deal :wink:

It's showing as last taxed June 1986 so been dry stored for a long time, it comes with a full set of coolant hoses and a pair of outer sills I'm itching to get started but need to get a few things in my life in order 1st like finish rebuilding our house and a major clear up in my yard and garages so don't need the Sprint distracting me too much hence putting it in a mates shed rather than mine :lol: :lol:

So there we have it......hopefully soon start a resto thread 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:28 am 
TDC Member

What a great story, no wonder you were keeping quiet about it. That's a great tale for the club magazine too!
I'll be perfectly selfish here - sort your house and garages, we need to see this restored with lots of pics. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:53 pm 
TDC Member

Always interested in Magenta Sprints, I love the colour and they seem to have been made in limited numbers.
Mine is a bit of an odd ball, early car but with clear glass, overdrive (as per vin number to confirm) and steats with headrests? VIN is below 10,000.
Good luck with it, will be great to get another back on the road and with such a tale to tell.

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:59 am 

Quote:
Always interested in Magenta Sprints, I love the colour and they seem to have been made in limited numbers.
Mine is a bit of an odd ball, early car but with clear glass, overdrive (as per vin number to confirm) and steats with headrests? VIN is below 10,000.
Good luck with it, will be great to get another back on the road and with such a tale to tell.
Mine's also a sub 10,000 chassis number, overdrive box, no headrests but I'll need to check the glass to confirm tint or not but I seem to think it is tinted, black interior that looks to be still in reasonable state jut needs 30 years of storage dust cleaning out of it. most of the carpets are still in but I think some may be missing :(
I've not got the V5 yet so will be interested to see how many owners now show or even if my name and previous address is still showing as back in the day I was not to good at sending the documents of to be changed and I know at least my mate who I sold it too would not of been in too much of a rush to either so there is a chance that I may at least be shown as the previous owner which would be pretty cool.
Speaking to my father a few weeks ago he says that even though they have moved twice since I owned the car there are still quite a few old Dolly parts up in his current garage attic so hopefully soon I'll be up there sorting through what's there, who knows what hidden gems I may turn up!!
Sadly the old SAH Triumph tune exhaust is no longer with the car :( though I suspect by now it would of been pretty rotten anyway so a new exhaust will be on the shopping list as will be a prop center bearing or maybe a complete prop which ever is easier to get hold of.......I just can't wait to get stuck into it!!