The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Sprint owner
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:52 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi,

I have had a Spitfire for some time now but decided I wanted something that would both keep up with the Straight six fans in our local club and was comfortable enough to make longer trips easier. I took the Spitfire round the North 500 earlier this year which was fun but hard work.

So I bought the Green Dolomite Sprint that Robsport had up for sale.

I am still getting used to it at the moment, the throttle seems to have very strong return springs on it which makes pulling away smoothly a bit of a challenge. But it performed well in the 38deg heat today reaching about 3/4 on the temp gauge in traffic.

Steering doesn't seem to self centre very much compared to the Spitfire so I will check the alignment. The suspension feels a bit soft as well but that might just be that my other cars are hard.

I am very pleased with it so far.

Andy

Post subject: Re: New Sprint owner
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:25 pm 

I'm jealous! That Sprint looked absolutely mintola! Unfortunately it was a way out of my budget at the moment. I've just got mine and, even though it's in good condition generally, it probably needs far more fettling than yours does!

Mine has a heavy accelerator pedal too. I thought it was just my pedal needing lubrication but maybe they're supposed to be like that?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:34 pm 
TDC Member

Welcome to the forum Gfiandy, a member for over 4 years and only your second post, and bought a Sprint! Sounds like you've bought a good one, I'm sure others will help you get it to the way you want. A member from SW Scotland has changed his suspension to what sounds like a good compromise, his user name is Bumpa, might be worth comparing notes. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:38 pm 
TDC Member

Welcome to the club, and what a great buy that car looked.
Settling into a totally different car will take a bit of getting used to.
No only just the wind in your hair but the driving position.

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:42 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Hi,

I have had a Spitfire for some time now but decided I wanted something that would both keep up with the Straight six fans in our local club and was comfortable enough to make longer trips easier. I took the Spitfire round the North 500 earlier this year which was fun but hard work.

So I bought the Green Dolomite Sprint that Robsport had up for sale.

I am still getting used to it at the moment, the throttle seems to have very strong return springs on it which makes pulling away smoothly a bit of a challenge. But it performed well in the 38deg heat today reaching about 3/4 on the temp gauge in traffic.

Steering doesn't seem to self centre very much compared to the Spitfire so I will check the alignment. The suspension feels a bit soft as well but that might just be that my other cars are hard.

I am very pleased with it so far.

Andy
Welcome Andy, looks a lovely car.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:08 pm 

Thanks for the welcome. I am getting used to the car now.

It had not been used much for a long time so brakes had jammed in the callipers a clean up sorted them out. I also felt on of the font bearings didn't feel right, there was a high frequency vibration. So I replaced them, the felt dust guard was missing from one and brake dust had created a sort of grinding paste with the grease.

The spring / dampers still feel to soft so I will probably upgrade them later.

The body work seems very good I have found no significant rust anywhere.

Exhaust which is the sports one bangs on the rear suspension so I need to fix that. As Robsport fitted it I will ask them to sort it out.

Seems to drip oil from speedo take off and somewhere at the front of the engine.

Generally very happy so far.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:23 pm 

Nice one!

I saw the car when it was advertised and thought it looked to be good value.
Enjoy it and let us know if the straight sixes are now trying to keep up with you....