The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: carb mountings
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:22 pm 
Decided to stretch the Sprints legs today with a 20 mile run down to Alton. Car ran fine on the way down. Started it up to come home and was running like a pig. One of the flexible carb mounts I purchased from Rimmer Bros two months ago (done around 40 miles ago) has completely fallen apart. The originals lasted 40 years and 80,000 miles, the replacements (which had to be modified to fit) lasted two months and forty miles - utter rubbish...... :x
Does anyone make decent quality replacements or even solid mounts? Not fitting these cr@p ones again..... Managed to get home by cable tying the carb to the inlet manifold.

Suppliers of decent quality replacements wanted please.

Post subject: Re: carb mountings
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:31 pm 
TDC Member

Recently had exactly the same issue on my recently purchased Sprint. Saw the comments about the repro rubber ones (Robsports website even says they are not that great!) and knowing how long repro rubber parts last on suspension bushes, i.e. not long! decided to bite the bullet and fit the solid aluminium mounts supplied by the club. Superbly machined, bolt straight on. Perfect seal (via the 'o' rings supplied). No hesitation in recommending them. Well worth the club membership fee.

Roger

Too many cars, too little time!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:41 pm 
Thanks Roger, Can anyone purchase these or do you have to be a club member? Who should i contact to arrange purchase? Would rather take my time to fit decent items that waste money on items with a shelf life measured in minutes...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:17 am 
TDC Member

Yes you have to be a member. They are probably the best selling club spares and I can't think there are many Sprints not using these now.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450