The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: newb
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:12 pm 
hi all
new to this triumph thing and i am going to look a 1980 sprint at the weekend. what are the main points to look at i/e areas prone to rot. the car has stood in a garage for the last 5 years and has been owned by the same guy for the last 12 and has always been garaged. he says its sound? but would need a new clutch because it has stood for so long ( dont think standing can do the clutch in) so can you change a clutch without pulling the engine. also says it needs a new battery.
also how much does it cost to tax and insure on limited mileage
always wanted a sprint going back to the 80's and now at last it my look like i am going to get one :D
thanks
andy
oh anyone live around blackpool as if i do get the car i may need a few pointers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:57 pm 
Hi Andy welcome to the club ,sorry can't help on the car side as sprints ain't my specalist subject
ask this question on the dolomite related posts as that gets more people looking at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:48 pm 
good luck with the viewing m8, and welcome.

get some pics, reasonbly up close n personal, whack em on here and theres plenty of folk to advise you...

:thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:22 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Start at the front bumper and work backwards! Dolomites rust wherever metal is present. Any rust is bad news but most is fairly simple to fix if you can weld. Chassis legs are prone to rusting and need a fair bit of stripping-down to affect a proper repair. Complete original panels are generally rare and expensive, but good repro panels are available from the club. Door bottoms, sills and boot floor are usual grot spots. Open the front doors and take a look at the insides of the screen pillars. These are repairable but fiddly. Watch out for bubbles under the vinyl roof, these spell trouble. Clutch will free-off using standard brute force methods but if it needs replacing is easiest by pulling the engine and box out as one and doing it on the floor. Battery under 30 quid if you shop around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:56 pm 
TDC Member

The vent panel above the rear window is also tricky and a bit of a rust trap. Also have a look under the bonnet for bodges to the coolant system, as if it's not maintained properly (it isn't difficult, it just needs doing) sprints can tend to get a bit hot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:00 pm 

All of what Jod says, plus the front panel and all around the windscreen......

Boot floors are prone too - as I have found out - and the rear arches. or any arches if it has mudflaps fitted..

Welcome by the way

David