The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 6:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted:Fri May 20, 2011 3:00 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

After some deliberation I have decided to sell UG SLOW, my 1500HL. Over the last few years I have not been able to spend as much time on it as i'd have hoped and the car is located too far from home so I'm looking to find a new home for it. It will allow me more time to get on with my Sprint project too. I will post some more pics just as soon as I can get over to the lock up to take some though it might take a few days.

UGH 510W

1980 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL
Russet Brown
Just 48,000 miles from new
Taxed till end Oct 2011
MOT till late July 2011 (can come with 12 months MOT)

I took delivery of the car in late 2007 from a family friend. It had been his parent’s car before they could no longer drive. After that his daughter used the car for several years before it was laid up prior to me having it. I believe that although the number of owners is X that it was brought by the family new and I can only assume that it was first registered to the dealer, then his father, mother, himself, daughter, himself again and then me.

Unfortunately there is very little in the way of old paperwork with the car but the odometer shows just 48k miles from new. The car was garaged virtually all it’s life and the condition inside and out would appear to confirm the mileage as genuine.

Engine and Gearbox

The engine is in good overall condition with no knocks or concerning rattles to worry about and pulls well. It comes with the standard 4 speed gearbox without overdrive. I don’t find the lack of overdrive a problem but it would be easy enough to fit one if necessary. The rear diff is quiet and has no significant leaks.

Interior

The beige interior of the car is very original and in very good condition. The rear seats are without sun damage and the front seats are free from sagging or wear. The parcel shelf is in good order and there is some kind of Sony radio fitted. I have no idea if it works as it never came with the fascia.

Bodywork

As you’d expect for a 30 year old car it is not perfect. In her elder years my friends mother became less adept at parking and consequently the doors have taken a few knocks and at some point someone has damaged the boot hinges by reversing into something. This can be rectified with a new set of hinges which I have not fitted.

The doors can probably be sorted easily, there’s no rust to worry about or I have a set of rust free doors that can be supplied if the buyer would like them but they will need painting.

Boot floor and footwells are also rot free as are the chassis legs. One appears to have had a small amount of welding on it but it has been done well. A-posts and arches are also in good condition.

Some of the passenger side door trim is missing - I have some spares but never got round to putting it on. Not a big deal really.

The sills are original and jacking points are all OK. Wings too are good though the seam between the front valance and the wing has a little rust that will need tending to. The front panel and inner front panel are very solid and have benefitted from the ‘Protectol’ rust proofing which was used when the car was new. I topped up the cavity wax a year or so ago using several litres of Dinitrol and a compressor.

Work carried out

Since taking ownership of the car I’ve carried out quite a bit of work to bring it back into usage:

• Front and rear brakes have been overhauled using new wheel cylinders, shoes and rebuilt callipers
• New clutch slave cylinder
• New clutch master cylinder
• Stainless steel exhaust fitted
• New refurbished inlet manifold
• Refurbished exhaust manifold
• Carbs rebuilt
• Cavity waxed

This car is not perfect but is a very easy project and would make a very satisfying classic car that’s cheap to run and own.

If you’re looking for a car to crash, put Sprint running gear in or to use as a donor shell then please look elsewhere. This car deserves a good home and to be looked after by an enthusiast.

The car is located in Staffordshire and viewing is available most of the time just PM me or call 07929 010508

£850 ono

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

Last edited by SprintMWU773V on Sun May 22, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:Fri May 20, 2011 6:20 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Mark, I think that is a little underpriced to be honest. Lovely car.

Ken

PostPosted:Fri May 20, 2011 8:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Mark, I think that is a little underpriced to be honest. Lovely car.

Ken
I disagree. I think it is very underpriced.

PostPosted:Fri May 20, 2011 8:54 pm 

No it's realistically priced to sell. I've never seen any fetch much more than a grand and this needs some panel beating. Of course if someone wants to offer me more money then they are welcome to. I could do with moving it on quickly rather than holding out for a buyer who wants to spend £1200.

Sorry but we do tend to live in a blinkered world here thinking cars are worth lots more money than they actually are.

2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted:Sun May 22, 2011 6:41 pm 

This car has now sold and gone to it's new owner in Aylesbury. I look forward to welcoming him to the club soon. The car's gone to a good home and that's the most important thing!

2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted:Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:20 pm 
TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254960363723 ... SwVchgiomz

Now for sale again Mark.. I thought the registration was familiar. I also noticed the car at a recent auction listing at Mathewson's in Yorkshire with a guide price of £2000.

Still looks in nice condition.

TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser.
Meet 1st Wednesday each month - Royal Sun. A44 Yarnton

1980 1500HL - OPD
1976 Sprint - SWU