The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:53 pm 
TDC Member

***CAR IS SOLD***

Selling my Dolomite which i have had as daily transport for 6 years.
It has been off road for a year while i put a 1300 spitfire engine and o/d box in it. Also restored the front subframe while i done engine change.Will need to be trailered as engine hasn't been used for a year it is running sweet, also front end alignment needs doing so best to get a trailer.
Not a rust bucket but does need a smarten up, bonnet need repaint and roof as i done roof in white a few years back.4 good Avon tyres, nice center consul i made for radio etc. has Ford KA front seats as original had broken backs on them.
Was planning on putting it back into use but a change of job and a wife with cancer has put paid to it as now i dont have the time.
£800 firm. price does not reflect the car but i just want it to go to a enthusiast if possible.

Regards, Alan 07776481179

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:55 am 
TDC Member

Has it had a private reg number put on it ?

1980 vermillion 1500hl W reg
1975 green 1500tc auto P reg
1971 wedgewood blue 2000 auto mk2 J reg
1979 Sandglow 1500HL auto V reg
1972 valencia blue Toledo 2dr K reg
1973 Brown Toledo 2 dr L reg
1977 white Datsun 100a f2 S reg
1988 Toyota Tercel 4x4
1999 Toyota Corolla vvti est
because one triumph just isnt enough

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:52 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Or was it re registered (or rung) to try to get it free tax as some have been and shown up occasionally. As we all know 1300 Dolomites didn't exist in 1972 so I think a bit more background is needed to clarify its history.

Post subject: Okay folks...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:48 pm 
TDC Member

DSR member, the late Robin Scott restored two Sprints.
For the second one he couldn't bring himself to fit a vinyl roof because of the repairs he had had to do to the roof
so he left it as body colour (red). Everywhere he went he was told it wasn't a Sprint but a fake.
He had a photographic record of the work he had done.....

More recently, on the Toledo facebook page there was a Toledo sporting a distinctive J suffix registration.
It was pretty clear that the folk had simply transferred the plate from a 2 door Toledo to a 4 door.
Obviously the number had meaning to them.

In other words, without evidence, please don't be jumping to conclusions.

thanks,

Ian.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:57 pm 
TDC Member

Hi all, yes, the owner before I had it (2nd owner by the way) changed the 1850 for a 1300 when 1850 packed up and as (like me) it was a daily driver. He used what he had so the 1300 and subframe etc went in, through the years driving it he replaced loads with better items he had.He was the owner of his own Fiat garage for 16 years but Triumphs was his only interest, still has a mint 2 door Toledo. I brought it off him in 2014 and used it as a daily driver. Never took it to a show as it was a user not a show queen. If something broke or got damaged I replaced with what I could fit just to keep it going as I couldn't take it off the road due to only car! It is not perfect, neither it is standard but it was a great 6 years using it all the time and improving and adapting to keep it on the road. It never let me down always managed to get it home even when the thrust bearings and big ends gave up i managed to get home. So it is, what it is, definitely not original but it is definitely all Triumph.(Well apart from the front seats which I reckon are so much more comfortable than triumph ones especially on long journeys).

Hope this sorts the issue
Regards Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:43 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Hi all, yes, the owner before I had it (2nd owner by the way) changed the 1850 for a 1300 when 1850 packed up and as (like me) it was a daily driver. He used what he had so the 1300 and subframe etc went in, through the years driving it he replaced loads with better items he had.He was the owner of his own Fiat garage for 16 years but Triumphs was his only interest, still has a mint 2 door Toledo. I brought it off him in 2014 and used it as a daily driver. Never took it to a show as it was a user not a show queen. If something broke or got damaged I replaced with what I could fit just to keep it going as I couldn't take it off the road due to only car! It is not perfect, neither it is standard but it was a great 6 years using it all the time and improving and adapting to keep it on the road. It never let me down always managed to get it home even when the thrust bearings and big ends gave up i managed to get home. So it is, what it is, definitely not original but it is definitely all Triumph.(Well apart from the front seats which I reckon are so much more comfortable than triumph ones especially on long journeys).

Hope this sorts the issue
Regards Alan
Where is the car please?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:36 am 
TDC Member

Car is in Oxford.

Regards Alan

Post subject: Re: Okay folks...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:35 pm 

Quote:
DSR member, the late Robin Scott restored two Sprints.
For the second one he couldn't bring himself to fit a vinyl roof because of the repairs he had had to do to the roof
so he left it as body colour (red). Everywhere he went he was told it wasn't a Sprint but a fake.
He had a photographic record of the work he had done.....

More recently, on the Toledo facebook page there was a Toledo sporting a distinctive J suffix registration.
It was pretty clear that the folk had simply transferred the plate from a 2 door Toledo to a 4 door.
Obviously the number had meaning to them.

In other words, without evidence, please don't be jumping to conclusions.
Not jumping to conclusions Ian just asking for clarification as to what it is. It had to have started out as something else or had an older plate transfered to it. The square lights and flat dash shown in the pictures were not put in or on a dolly shell until 1976. All that looks suspicious, plus the OPs name Dodgy Dolly. I had to ask so nobody unwittingly got caught out if it was dodgy. I have seen a 1300 Dolomite on a 72 plate that was a ringer to avoid road tax.

I have to say that whoever did it must have been a stickler for originality. Most would have left the more preferred twin head lights and curved dash in it. The other early Dolomites with a retro fitted 1300 engine I have seen kept the front and interior as it was manufactured. It's usually a conversion that goes the other way.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:31 pm 
TDC Member

To who it may concern, the whole reason why my Forum name is because i own a 1949 Dodge and a Dolomite, which i brought as is and didn't really think anything about it the guy i brought it off told me about it and i was just happy to get one close to home ..............Lets face it if i thought there was anything dodgy going on i would not have used my forum name dont you think.........

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:thumbsup: :-D

Post subject: Well....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:02 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
The square lights and flat dash shown in the pictures were not put in or on a dolly shell until 1976
Toledos and Dolomites share the same shell except for the back wings and back panel.
It is possible (with some effort) to fit rectangular headlamps in place of twin headlights.
There is a school of thought that the rectangular lamps give better illumination (not something I concur with having been a few cars with they lights).

The main fixing points for curved and flat dashes are the same. Toledos had flat dashes from their introduction in 1970.
Curved dashboards with instruments sell for strong money, indeed a secondhand early 1850 tachometer will be over £50 itself
on the rare occasions they appear on ebay.

thanks,
Ian.

Post subject: Yes.....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:04 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
To who it may concern, the whole reason why my Forum name is because i own a 1949 Dodge and a Dolomite, which i brought as is and didn't really think anything about it the guy i brought it off told me about it and i was just happy to get one close to home ..............Lets face it if i thought there was anything dodgy going on i would not have used my forum name dont you think.........
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the sale.

Ian.

Post subject: Re: Well....
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:53 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
The square lights and flat dash shown in the pictures were not put in or on a dolly shell until 1976
Toledos and Dolomites share the same shell except for the back wings and back panel.
It is possible (with some effort) to fit rectangular headlamps in place of twin headlights.
There is a school of thought that the rectangular lamps give better illumination (not something I concur with having been a few cars with they lights).

The main fixing points for curved and flat dashes are the same. Toledos had flat dashes from their introduction in 1970.
Curved dashboards with instruments sell for strong money, indeed a secondhand early 1850 tachometer will be over £50 itself
on the rare occasions they appear on ebay.

thanks,
Ian.
You appear to echo what I was saying Ian. The guy who did the work on the car must have been a real Triumph enthusiast to have gone to the effort to change an early 1850 into a 1300 when most would not have and just left it at the engine swop. In doing so he made it look potentially iffy so needing further looking into before any purchase. Anyone with a good to fair knowledge will know what to look for in addition to the points raised, those with little or no knowledge will not have the foggiest. I was only trying to make sure any potential purchaser had a bit more knowledge of what to look out for, why, and to ask pertinent questions on its history which were not in the original post.

As I pointed out I have seen a car put up for sale which was a 1300 ringer. In that case the car was a 1300 given an identity plate from a 1972 1850 and then the DVLA informed it had had an engine swop. I would have been remiss not to have queried this one and someone got their fingers burnt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:15 pm 
TDC Member

Car is now sold.

Regards Alan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:42 pm 

Quote:

thanks,
Ian.
I did as it was rare in NL. The square lights didn't do what they promesed so I had to add a few extra spots.

Jeroen