The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:49 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

The member who had agreed to buy this car from me has had to withdraw from the purchase because of unforseen issues which I entirely understand and sympathise with.

However, I am in the middle of moving house (literally!), and the car must be sold. So, I am offering it here first and will then go the inevitable eBay route if there are no takers.

This is a well known car and the recent rolling restoration of it has been well documented on this board, but I will recap the main points briefly.

The previous owner carefully removed all old underseal from the rear of the car, up to the rear footwell area. The entire rear axle and suspension were dropped out in this process and EVERYTHING replaced. New rear brakes, new handbrake cables, even the little clips and collets were all replaced. The rear floor was expertly re-finished in a stone chip resistant epoxy paint. The whole rear suspension was polybushed throughout.

The front suspension and steering has also been rebuilt. There are new track rod ends and the entire front end is again all polybushed, including the steering rack mounts. The combination of polybushes with standard springs and dampers gives a nice taut ride that is not boneshaking at all, but the thing handles beautifully, and in a delightfully predictable way.

I have fitted a replacement engine with only 43,000 miles recorded from a later Toledo, after blowing the original engine on the motorway returning from TDCIR last year. The replacement engine has a new head gasket fitted, and has new points, plugs, condenser, distributor cap, leads and rotor arm. A new coil is fitted and new horns. In order to avoid a repeat of the blow up incident, but to allow the little 1296cc engine to rev as Triumphs engineers intended, a brand new oil cooler is fitted, together with a rocker oil feed kit. The engine runs beautifully and will pull 90 mph in top gear on the original standard single SU and airbox. It benefits from the later type gearbox which is smoother and quieter.

The rear axle has also been replaced with that from a 43,000 mile donor after the original diff became excessively noisy. The car is now quiet and comfortable. The propshaft was removed, dynamically balanced and all three UJ's replaced with brand new.

The car has been fitted with a set of nicely refurbished Spitfire 4 wheels with chrome wheel nuts which are shod with brand new tyres. A spare set of steel wheels with good tyres will come with the car. The exterior has been mildly, and in my view tastefully customised. Aside from the wheels, a Sprint front spoiler is fitted. The grilles have been changed for the later Dolly 1300 black items and the sills have been painted black.

The bodywork is in generally very good order. Three small patches were welded to the nearside sill as part of the restoration but this work was done correctly (and photographed) and the pieces were cut from a donor car so are the correct profile. They are almost un-seeable. There is some very slight bubbling to rear wheel arches. The underneath is exceptionally clean and solid as you would expect given the attention that has been lavished.

The paintwork is an older respray, but in the original and increasingly rare ice blue. The paint job won't win any prizes, but it looks good and polishes up well. The chrome work is all excellent.

The blue vinyl interior is particularly striking and everyone who sees the car remarks on it favourably. The carpets are replacements and are good quality. The sills are painted black. The dashboard veener is good and the dash itself has been modified to Toledo TS specification with central fuel and temperature gauges and straight ahead speedo and rev counter. The later loom has been fitted including hazard lights and everything works as it should. Inertia reel rear seat belts are fitted.

This car looks good and drives beautifully. It has had sums of money lavished on it that far outweigh its value.

It will be sold with a new MOT and if I get near the asking price I will throw in six months tax. Being a 1300, it qualifies for the cheaper tax rate. Running costs are low with these cars with cheap insurance and a typical 35-40mpg.

Since the pictures above were taken, the boot lid badge has been refitted, a "Triumph" pad has been fitted to the steering wheel in place of the Dolomite item, and the marks visble on the rear seat have been cleaned off.

The car will come with a number of spares. As well as the wheels and tyres mentioned, there are four good chrome hubcaps, some new service items, a spare dash, a rear exhaust section (new), and 1500 stylee twin SU's with linkages airbox and manifold in case the new owner wants to go down the road of the TC conversion that has been discussed on this board so frequently.

I am located in the south east between south Croydon and Caterham, about 6 mins from Junction 6 of the M25.

I am seeking around £850-00. I think I have covered everything, but if you want more details please use the PM facility or e mail me at martinbellinger(at)aol(dot)com

This is a good car and I would like to see it go to a good home.

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE
2017 BMW X3 MSport
1954 Austin Healey 100M
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2016 Triumph Street Twin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:30 pm 
TDC Member

Martin,
I can't believe that you haven't sold this car yet. It looks and sound as though it is great. If I didn't already have a barn full of broken Triumphs I would be very tempted.
Nick

PS Maybe your avitar is putting poeple off!! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:20 am 

Nick,

I too am somewhat surprised not to have had any sniffs at all via the Club.

The car is away at the moment having some minor paintwork issues attended to. I must be mad to spend more money on it, but every time I looked at these two small areas it annoyed me!

When it gets back I will MOT it and then widen the net a bit.

2017 BMW X3 MSport
1954 Austin Healey 100M
2016 Triumph Street Twin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:01 pm 

Still on the table :wink: :lol: :lol:

Ken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:05 pm 
Hi Martin - I have PM'ed you with regards to viewing the car.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:33 pm 

Greetings from France. Not the easiest via BlackBerry but having a go.
Riffraff and I have now spoken and will hopefully meet up after our respective holidays. Many thanks Tim.

Meanwhile, wanted to let you lot know that this car sailed through the MoT yesterday with zero advisories. I am delighted after all the hard work.

Let's hope this car stays in the Club.

2017 BMW X3 MSport
1954 Austin Healey 100M
2016 Triumph Street Twin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:45 pm 
Glad too see the 494 looking so good. I wish I didnt have to sell her but due to moving abroad it had to go. For anyone who is interested I carried out the work on the underside during the 06/07 winter period. Basically I stripped the underside (boot floor, over the axle and up to the front edge of the rear seat back to bear metal then many coats of zinc primer followed by numerous coats of black gloss with a final couple of coats of undeseal. My plan was that that would take care of that part of the car for many years and the following winter I would give the same treatment to the front end (as I remember there really was not much wrong with the rest of the underside). However, as with all the best laid plans due to work commitments and moving abroad she had to go.

Life in Cyprus is good and I have seen a couple of fwds and dolomites I must remember to take some photos although one of the fwds is clearly off the road it has aged well in this climate. Sadly one of the dolomits I have seen has not as it seems to bow in the middle (probably something to do with the missing roof).

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:00 pm 

Now sold, and safely in the hands of its new owner, who I hope will be joining the Club shortly.

A really lovely little car that in the end was a joy to drive and will be much missed in fact.

Good luck with her Tim.

2017 BMW X3 MSport
1954 Austin Healey 100M
2016 Triumph Street Twin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:32 pm 
Nice little car - happy to cruised home at a steady 65mph, brings back memories of my first car, another 74 Toledo (2 door version).

Wife and eldest daughter have christened the car Hattie!!! :oops: Ah well.

Will certainly join the club, and will keep you all posted on how the car does.

Now, need to sell the Triumph Vitesse - anyone want a 1967 Vitesse MK1 - 12 months MOT, but in need of some welding??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:01 am 
Martin, one thing - the short rear bumper on your very nice racing Toledo - is this a standard item or did you have it made up?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:03 pm 

got any pics of the vitesse tim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:30 pm 

Tim,

I am often asked about the short bumpers (the front is also shorter and does not wrap around).

They are not in fact a "cut and shut" or a special item. They are rare, as they were only fitted to the very first few Toledo's built in 1970 on an H and J reg.

The bumpers for my car were supplied new by TD Fitchett in 2007, but at a cost of £400 each. You pays your money...

2017 BMW X3 MSport
1954 Austin Healey 100M
2016 Triumph Street Twin