The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:02 pm 
That's one of the Maltese CKD cars, right? In which case they had a number of small detail differences and may have ended up in almost any hue from the contemporary Leyland stable.

A few Toledos - I was told six, but I have nothing to support this - were reputedly painted in Magenta! I'd love on of those!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:26 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Im sure i have seen a few Austin maxis in that colour :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:54 pm 
Me too. It's hard to be certain from any photograph, especially as Harvest Gold, Sandglow and Bronze yellow can all - in spite of being markedly different in the flesh - can appear similar in photographs, but yes:

Harvest I reckon. And I like it on that Toledo but.... Two words: Indicator lens! (are the "wrong" way around). :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:03 am 
TDC Events Officer

Quote:
That's one of the Maltese CKD cars, right? In which case they had a number of small detail differences and may have ended up in almost any hue from the contemporary Leyland stable.

A few Toledos - I was told six, but I have nothing to support this - were reputedly painted in Magenta! I'd love on of those!
Might not even have been a standard colour - that was probably the dregs of everything left over on a Friday. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:29 pm 
i said to danny it was possibly a dull harvest gold ,we had a mgb gt v8 in that colour it was one of the cars that stick in my memory as an excellent drive and sounded great too ! anyone know of any other colours that were export only ! i agree Toledo's in Magenta would be stunning :eyes4u:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:35 pm 

Rover tobacco leaf I reckon...

Not quite as revolting as catsick or saffron but in the same ballpark.

Harvest gold quite suits the BMC hydrolastics. its a tad greener. Maybe we were used to funny colours back then.

Now its all satin finish gunmetal thats all the rage. Looks mean on a Vantage but stupid on a Rangie...

Jonners

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:56 pm 
Quote:
Rover tobacco leaf
Let us take a look:
The Toledo:
A nice Rover P6B, finished in Tobacco Leaf:

Certainly looks close. :D

I reckon that Jonners is bang on with that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:44 pm 
I think it is Harvest... I had a P6B in Tobacco and that colour is, ermm 'browner' than this Toledo! I am sure it's Harvest... Saying that I think I am sure about a lot of things these days... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:09 pm 
TDC Member

What are the wheels from on that Maxi?

(With Jonners on the Tolly colour BTW).

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:21 pm 
ADO71. (Princess)/Ambassador. 14" so can be used with low profile tyres for those whose Hydrasag-suspended (post-'75) version of the Maxi doesn't have a sufficiently choppy ride already. :lol:

The one in the pic has been correctly lowered (I.E. by cutting the knuckles down a touch rather than simply letting fluid and/or gas out) and looks quite good, IMHO. Looking at the Sandglow Maxi behind the Harvest one, it's also on Ambassador wheels; the alloy variety as found on VdP versions.

Horribly o/t for which I apologise, John Lennon liked a Maxi but seemed unable to keep it on the road. Full story HERE.

Can anyone link a member of The Beatles to a Toledo or Dolomite? Preferably one finished in an unusual colour.... :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:42 pm 
Quote:
Harvest I reckon. And I like it on that Toledo but.... Two words: Indicator lens! (are the "wrong" way around). :lol:
Bah. I reckon it's safer that way round, more visible from the side, important as our cars don't have side indicators, whereas moderns do :P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:51 pm 
Looks a slightly different shade of brown to the Maxi or the Rover to me, but whatever shade it is, to my eyes it suits it.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:16 am 
totally agree steve i think it really suits it :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:05 am 
Quote:
Now I would love to see one of those... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:27 am 

That's quite a late Maxi to be harvest isn't it? I thought by then the BL rationalised colours would have been in full swing which would have meant an end to the Triumph and Austin Morris only colours...of which Harvest was one.

Jonners