The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:47 am 
Always fancied doing an 'oh no, not a...' thread..

Well, I shall cut to the chase then; on Sunday at the TSSC International, which was very quiet, but nonetheless I saw a couple of gorgeous brooklands green Sprint's (my personal preference from the range), I started talking to Bill from rarebits4classics about his Herald 948 S. Before I knew it a wad of cash was handed over, and I now own the car!

The car itself is a rare breed of the Herald, the rarest I believe, with only one or two 's' models still kicking around in the country. It has an MOT, the engine runs beautifully (apart from a slight carb problem, runs fine but the one screw has no thread so stinks of fuel, oh, and the battery isn't charging..despite a whole host of new parts in that department) and the bodywork is wonderfully solid, with the only rust being cosmetic. Seriously, it's in brilliant condition!

I should mention that this is not a replacement for the Toledo; that's still going to be treated to a full bodywork restoration, re-spray and full mechanical overhaul! :)

Anyway, have some pictures!

Thanks for looking :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:13 pm 
Looks splendid, I've always thought the early Herald shape was far prettier than any of it's BMC 1300 rivals. What's the 'S' stand for?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:46 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

The Herald predates the ADO16 by a long way....in fact its a contemporary of the 100E and later 105E really, so late Moggie thou and A40 as well.

What amazes me is how much of a step up it was from the Standard 8 and 10 it replaced. Even though it used their engine and box mostly, They really were aweful
cars....8's an 10's, but then so was the 100E (3 speed box 1122 side valve with 30 bhp on a good day, no heater and vacuum wiper on one side only!). The A35 was king of that particularly small hill IMHO....by a long way too even with its rod operated rear drum brakes.

Yes the Herald really was a huge leap forward for the common man. (We'll forget the mini conveniently)

Jonners

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:38 am 
Quote:
Looks splendid, I've always thought the early Herald shape was far prettier than any of it's BMC 1300 rivals. What's the 'S' stand for?
The 'S' stands for standard, meaning it's the bottom of the range edition, only produced between 1961 - 1964.
It lacks features such as a front grill piece, and some interior features. Quite a bit really, but it's late and I forget :roll:

Its the rarest form of the Herald, and I've been told by Herald guru's that it may be the only working Herald s in the country, or there may be another, I'm unsure. Probably the rarest car an 18 year old has ever owned! :lol:

Thanks for the comments :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:00 am 

Beautiful. I really like the Heralds with their little tail fins. Nice colour too.

Post subject: Well.......
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:28 am 
TDC Member

There is at least one other S I believe.
It was owned locally for a while a few years ago, I think that Chic Doig in Cardenden owned it after that.
It was featured in Triumph World magazine.

Is that the original registration?

Ian.

Post subject: Re: Well.......
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:37 am 
Quote:
There is at least one other S I believe.
It was owned locally for a while a few years ago, I think that Chic Doig in Cardenden owned it after that.
It was featured in Triumph World magazine.

Is that the original registration?

Ian.
It wasn't yellow by any chance was it? I've been told that there could still be one in yellow kicking about, but thats all the details I have.

No that isn't the original reg, it used to be 9339 UE. I'd love to reunite the plate with the car, and will surely give it a go, but I'm not sure if CAS 233 is transferable. I will enquire though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:08 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
No that isn't the original reg, it used to be 9339 UE. I'd love to reunite the plate with the car, and will surely give it a go, but I'm not sure if CAS 233 is transferable. I will enquire though.
Sadly 9339UE is now registered to a 1967 Aston Martin DB6. CAS233 is a standard DVLA re-issue from 10 years ago..

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

Post subject: Well.......
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:36 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
It wasn't yellow by any chance was it?
I am not sure, but I can find out because I know the previous owner's son.........

Ian.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:00 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
Sadly 9339UE is now registered to a 1967 Aston Martin DB6. CAS233 is a standard DVLA re-issue from 10 years ago..
Well at least it's on an interesting car! Shall have to have a look through my AMOC list of members & cars, see if the plate is in there.
I don't suppose you can tell whether or not the plate is transferable?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:00 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
I am not sure, but I can find out because I know the previous owner's son.........

Ian.
I'd appreciate it if you could, would be interesting to see if it's another car or not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:43 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well at least it's on an interesting car! Shall have to have a look through my AMOC list of members & cars, see if the plate is in there.
I don't suppose you can tell whether or not the plate is transferable?
CAS should be non-transferrable as it is a DVLA re-issue and would indicate so on the V5!

Interesting if you could find the current owner of 9339UE, it would be nice to get it back if possible!! :)

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:44 pm 
TDC Member

Well here it is! £1,645 though..

http://www.newreg.co.uk/search/search_r ... index.html

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II

Post subject: I have......
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:15 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ian.
I'd appreciate it if you could, would be interesting to see if it's another car or not.
Spoken to PO's son,
the S was white, had done 9000 miles (genuine) and was sold to Chic Doig.
He thinks the registration number was XBF followed by three numerals.
The car was original unrestored back then.

Definitely not your car.

Ian.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:27 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
CAS should be non-transferrable as it is a DVLA re-issue and would indicate so on the V5!

Interesting if you could find the current owner of 9339UE, it would be nice to get it back if possible!! :)
[/quote]

I don't have the V5 yet, being sent to me soon! The car wasn't actually for sale, just offered the right price at a show, so he understandably didn't have all the documentation on him. Yes, I'd love to have the original plate back on the car! :)