The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 812 Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:37 pm 
Thanks Jonners :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:39 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Should have added its a good idea to get the fluid all out via the nearest caliper bleed screw and then prise
off the reservoir with the cylinder still all in place with pipes connected. Once the reservoir is off
access to the pipes is much improved and the risk of rounding off unions is greatly reduced.

You can get stronger "purchase" on the reservoir with it all held in firmly too. Do one mounting at a time with
2 large flat pry bars.

You can do the same when refitting. With new rubber seals and a bit of red rubber grease they go back in a lot more
easilly.

Jonners

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:19 pm 
Thanks for the input Jonners, it will serve me well when I come to doing it. Yesterday I removed the rear load sensing valve. Couple of questions on this one too; the piston which protrudes from the rubber dust cover seems to be siezed. Even putting pressure on it in the vice doesn't move it, tho I don't wish to be to heavy handed with it. If I remove the large flat nut which seems to retain it, what can I expect to happen? An explosion of springs and ball bearing? I currently have left the valve under some compression in the vice with plenty of wd40 to soak in.

Thanks

David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 am 

Bizarrely I have never done one of these.....

Have a look at the parts book and I think repair kits are a club item.

Lets hope somebody who has done one can fill us all in...

Jonners

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:10 pm 
Yes I see the club stocks the seal kit. I will probably order both seal kits, one for the load sensing valve and one for the brake master cylinder within the next week or so. In the meantime before I deal with the issue of the seat diaphragm I will clean up and paint both front seat frames and runners.

David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:03 pm 
TDC Member

David, especially for you I dismantled an LSV. :D

Remove the grub screw...

Then you can remove the pin next to the coil and the coil itself.

The shaft wasn't easy to get out and I had to use the vise as a press to get it out. I usually don't bother doing this bit, I just bend the bracket back and remove the LSV assembly (which is what I ended up doing any way). Whilst hitting the pin I missed and hit the cast lug and snapped it off. I think I have a spare somewhere.

I used a 32mm. socket to undo the assembly.

Once undone the assembly won't fly out as the seal will hold it, you will need to jiggle it to get it out.

Remove the spring (noting that the thinner end is towards the bottom). Then jiggle the main assembly to remove. Another seal holding this one.

There is a seal in the top piece under the nylon retainer. Both of these push out with the aid of a small screw driver (use something blunt if you are going to reuse the seal.

There are 5 seals to replace including the dust cover. You'll find the fifth one up under the main assembly, a very small 'O' ring.

Plenty of seals kits in club stock.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:26 pm 
Mart you are a saint. Great photos and greatly appreciated!! Your step.by step guide has given me the confidence to carry out this procedure with confidence. I hadn't even noticed the grub screw! Thanks again.

David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:40 pm 
TDC Member

Are all the rubbers available from the club including the ones in the spring mechanism that attaches to the axle?

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:39 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Are all the rubbers available from the club including the ones in the spring mechanism that attaches to the axle?
No, all but the axle rubber.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:38 pm 
Ordered a seal kit for the load sensing valve yesterday and partially stripped it down ,following Marts' photos. Looks straight forward enough. Unfortunately the club doesn't have in stock the seal kit for the single line brake master cylinder, so I may have to source a recon m/c? Jonners I will pm you regarding the one you have available.

Cheers

David

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:30 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

We have reconditioned master cylinders complete, resleeved in stainless steel, but they are £87.50 on an exchange basis for a single line one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:24 pm 
Or £125 from Rimmer, not stainless, and £60 surcharge.
I'm not knocking Rimmer Bros, they have the parts, and that's great.
In this instance, join the club. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:44 pm 
Bill I'm sure iv mentioned somewhere before that I am already a club member and have been for several years already. I don't know why it doesn't say that in the side column??
Xvivalve, I forgot to mention that information in my last post about the club having reconditioned ones. Didn't realise they were resleeved in stainless steel. Quite prepared to pay that price however I might have to wait a few weeks to work it into my budget.

David

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:46 am 
You did David, several times, sorry.
PM admin, he will sort out the forum status.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:57 am 

"triumphdolomiteuk" is the forum admin and is our very own Andy P.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 812 Next