The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:16 pm 
TDC Member

I am about to change the non return valve that is fitted into the brake servo that is fitted in my single line brake system as there is a noise coming from the servo. Mainly when the car is stationary and ticking over and the brake pedal is pressed. If the engine is then revd up it stops until the brake pedal is pressed again.

My question is are these prone to becoming noisy as I have tried ones from a couple of spare servo's and the noise does not go away.

I have also noted that the Rimmer's catalogue shows different non return valves fitted to different models of dolomite.
Sprint/1850 and single line 1500/1300cc cars have a RTC812 but for 1500/1300c cars it shows a AEU1046

I have also found in the official Triumph parts Catalogue that it gives
An AEU1046 for the tandem 1300/1500 &1500HL and Part number 18G8953 for 1850 & sprint & single line cars.

Robsport on their web site show a part 37H8278S for Dolomites at a bargain price of £6 some other suppliers are asking £31 or £21.70.

My second question are they all the same?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:50 pm 
Quote:
Robsport on their web site show a part 37H8278S for Dolomites at a bargain price of £6
That's because they are secondhand.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:21 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

I have asked 'trade' the question, and will put any of these relevant to 'us' on the shopping list for our new Club parts supply. List to be published soon...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:03 pm 
TDC Member

Many thanks for the response AlanH that explains the difference in price, I just hope people will not have the problem I have identified with these second hand units.

xvivalve the club would be lost without all your good work. I await with interest to hear what the experts can tell us.

Today I picked up a 18G8953 non return valve from Moss in Bristol only to find that it was of a slightly smaller diameter than the one fitted. To make an air tight seal I resorted to wrapping some insulating tape around it. The good news is that the new valve solved the problem. The noise has gone, so I spent a day taking a serviceable servo out and trying two others complete with their non return valves These also made a noise. Prior to doing the servo change I had tried another non return valve that I had in my spares box so I am assuming it must be a common problem.

I would be interested to know if the non return valves fitted in other dolomite's make a noise. With the car stopped and the engine just ticking over press the brake pedal. This is when my non return valves will chatter. Rev up and the noise will go away until the brake petal is pressed again. Two of my cars, or three now, do not make any noise but my fourth makes some noise. It is not as bad as the car that I have been working on but it is there in the background.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:33 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Richard, You probably remember we chatted about this at SDD. I've had a listen to my 1977 1850 and the valve is quiet. The remote servo one on the MGB is also quiet. I was wondering if it depended on how much oil even in small quantities found its way back down the servo vacuum pipe. Any oily substance might tend to make the valve quieter in operation - at a guess.
Thanks for the hint on the master cylinder bracket. btw Sorted !
Cheers for now,
Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:59 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

All of those part numbers now supersede to BAU4856 which is the MGB item; they are all the same diameter, but variations exist in the angle of the union...apparently!

I will put these on the parts order that I'm compiling; all being well, though the wholesale prices need to be confirmed, we should be able to ship these to members inclusive of postage for less than £20

There is also an option for an aluminium inline replacement, which leaves the defective one in place, but they'd be slightly more expensive

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:56 pm 
TDC Member

Many thanks for the info Alun. Having looked on the Rimmers site the BAU1019 looks very much like the Non return valve that Moss-europe sold to me as an 18G953 being Black in colour. I found it was slightly smaller in diameter than the one I took out and had to use some insulating tape around it to get a good airtight seal. Looking at the various sites I have found that the rubber seal for the MGB into which the non return valve sits is a part number BAU1019 so I will obtain one of these at some point.

The Non return valve that I have replaced was working fine but just making a lot of noise, chattering, so an in line replacement would not solve the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:26 am 
Thread bump from a few years ago!

My Dad's 1500 has got this exact problem with a really annoying rattle/noise coming from the brake servo. The noise stops if the pedal is depressed.

Any ideas on what you did to fix it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:05 pm 
TDC Member

As stated above replace the non return valve and its associated rubber seal.