The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:44 pm 
Been having a couple of issues all sort of related to each other.
Firstly my starter ring gear does wobble quite a bit.
My alternator belt doesn't seem to stay tight which might be because of the ring gear, or maybe the alternator moving, i'm not sure?
The thing that seems to be giving me the biggest issue is i'm only getting a reading of 11.5v on my volt meter, sometimes nothing at all, I've tried a different alternator and that isn't the problem, so maybe its the belt coming loose? Right after i changed the alternator and started it up with a decently tensioned belt it read the correct 14v but i turned the engine off changed my clothes, went out for a drive and its back to reading about 11.5v and the belt is loose again.
Anyone know of a loose belt making that much of a difference to how much charge they're getting? And anyone have any solutions to stopping it from loosening in the first place? I plan to change the starter ring gear bushes but its a bit of a hassle to get off so i'll have a to find a decent amount of time to do it, and i'm not even sure if that'll fix the wobble.

Could the charging problem be a bad battery? I doubt it considering the belts tension seems to relate to how much charge i'm getting (Then again I don't have definitive evidence of that).

And on top of all of that, there's a couple rattles coming from the engine, they get louder with revs, i have no clue what they could be.

Oh and i have had the belt come off multiple times when i'm driving the car a bit harder, its been a massive pain in the arse.

And another thing, when i'm reading a low voltage my indicators don't seem to flash like they should, they just stay on.

All help is much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:39 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

If the belt is loose than its not going to spin the alternator = low voltage but DON'T drive the car until you have found out what's causing the loose ring gear, it's either going to be loose crank nut, play in the crank nose or worn bushes on the ring gear. if its worn bushes replace with rubber one with the metal sleeve not poly bushes.

The rattling and indictaor issue could very likely be linked to the loose ring gear... again I repeat DO NOT DRIVE IT until its sorted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:45 pm 
TDC Member

Just to add that low voltage across the battery would certainly correlate with the indicators not flashing correctly.
Tony.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:29 pm 
Quote:
If the belt is loose than its not going to spin the alternator = low voltage but DON'T drive the car until you have found out what's causing the loose ring gear, it's either going to be loose crank nut, play in the crank nose or worn bushes on the ring gear. if its worn bushes replace with rubber one with the metal sleeve not poly bushes.

The rattling and indictaor issue could very likely be linked to the loose ring gear... again I repeat DO NOT DRIVE IT until its sorted.
I'll tighten up the crank nut when i get a socket big enough, hopefully thats the issue, if not i'll change the bushings. Whats the reason for not using polybushes? Are they too stiff?
And if it is play in the crank nose, what does repairing that consist of? Changing a main bearing? Or anything worse?

Im not going to lie, i have driven the car multiple times with the wobbly ring gear as it is my daily driver and i need it to get to work, but i can say that it has not got any wobblier since i first noticed it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:01 am 

The poly bushes are too stiff and don't allow any flex causing the ring gear to come loose from the pulley, there have been two cases of this lately from different people.

Worse case scenario with play would be a worn crank.