The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Servo non return valve
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:12 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi

I had some reference to non return valves in a separate thread (viewtopic.php?p=312699#p312699) where it turns out mine must be faulty and seems to be the cause of an annoying rattle.

Two questions. Firstly - best source ? Suggestion in other thread was Moss which is fine unless anyone can suggest better alternative.

Secondly R the old O commented that he'd been changing a master brake cylinder on a dual system and noticed "it is not a simple job to get the non return valve out of the servo as the hydraulic fluid reservoir on the master cylinder prevents the non return valve being removed. If the car has only a single line system there is no problem. I am assuming the same problem will exist on sprints and all other dolomites with dual braking systems. It looks as if the brake mast cylinder would have to be released from the servo to get the non return valve out"

Does anyone have any advice on this? I was hoping it was going to be a really simple job. Now it's looking like it might be a PITA.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:35 pm 
TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser

Hello there.

Richard and I agreed that it would be far simpler with the single line system, however if it is dual then still should be quite straightforward. Have a look and see how close the fluid reservoir is to the return valve- if it is nearly touching it it is a dual system and you would probably need to undo the 2 x nuts holding the master cylinder to the servo housing and slide it forward a little to give you more room. The servo return valve can be prised out from the servo quite easily.

Keep us posted!

MC

TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser.
TDC/TSSC group meeting - 3rd Tuesday of the month
The Duke at Clifton - OX15 0PE

1980 1500HL - OPD
1976 Sprint - SWU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:03 am 

Quote:
Hi

I "it is not a simple job to get the non return valve out of the servo as the hydraulic fluid reservoir on the master cylinder prevents the non return valve being removed. Thanks
unbolt the M/C from the servo to remove the NRV. Two bolts and there is enough flex in the pipes to allow this to be done.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:23 pm 

They do come out without moving anything because I changed mine last week. Pipe off then turn the valve so the pipe outlet is at the top then two levers either side and they will wiggle out slightly to the side away from the brake fluid reservoir. The rubber grommet in the servo is forgiving enough.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:56 am 

Just fyi all, especially those of us not in the UK.

Richard T.O.O. posted in another thread re servo valves :
"I obtained one from Moss-europe.co.uk. The non return valve is part 18G8953 and they currently show the cost to be £10.80 but you also need to obtain the rubber seal that it pushes into Part BAU1019, costing £3.85,as I suspect you will find that the new non return valve is slightly smaller in diameter than the original non return valve."

I just went through the process of trying to buy from Moss. The only option for shipping was "Carrier Standard" at GBP42. Hilarious, really? for two very small and lightweight plastic items? The number of times Companies seem to think they can recoup profit via ludicrous shipping charges and have us not notice is becoming insane.

For better or worse - perhaps much better as the part is described as Genuine - I purchased from the Brothers. Total cost GBP33 including a highly plausible GBP4.50 for shipping. Moss wanted about GBP14 for the parts but as I say GBP42 to ship them.

Regards

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:20 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

With the first small batch of reconditioned servos, they were returned with the original one way valves if the core had them fitted, or without if they were not. I questioned this last week when I took the next batch in and the reply was they assumed the customer had retained the valve where it was missing. I asked if they could source new valves, to which they replied yes, so I asked them to do so and hopefully from now on the reconditioned servo will come with new valves. I’ll see if I can source a quantity for Club stock...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 am 
TDC Member

There's a Land Rover part number for these Alun, I'll find it for you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:01 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

There are at least four part numbers for Land Rover, MG etc, all of which are slightly different parts, which explains Richard TOO's experience

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:35 pm 
TDC Member

Where can you get the seal from, I need to replace mine having got a valve from Alun.

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 pm 
TDC Member

I got both a valve and a seal from Moss-europe the details are give in an earlier message but I believe the actual size of the non return valves can vary depending on the actual Non return valve you have purchased so there may be various seal sizes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:16 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks for that Richard, I'll try my local Moss they're only the other side of town.

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:46 pm 

Quote:
Just fyi all, especially those of us not in the UK.

Richard T.O.O. posted in another thread re servo valves :
"I obtained one from Moss-europe.co.uk. The non return valve is part 18G8953 and they currently show the cost to be £10.80 but you also need to obtain the rubber seal that it pushes into Part BAU1019, costing £3.85,as I suspect you will find that the new non return valve is slightly smaller in diameter than the original non return valve."

I just went through the process of trying to buy from Moss. The only option for shipping was "Carrier Standard" at GBP42. Hilarious, really? for two very small and lightweight plastic items? The number of times Companies seem to think they can recoup profit via ludicrous shipping charges and have us not notice is becoming insane.

For better or worse - perhaps much better as the part is described as Genuine - I purchased from the Brothers. Total cost GBP33 including a highly plausible GBP4.50 for shipping. Moss wanted about GBP14 for the parts but as I say GBP42 to ship them.

Regards
Was this an online postage quote and did you query it with them as sometime the computer system assumes it is a large or valuable parcel?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:44 am 

I get loads of stuff from the UK for my Triumphs and Land Rovers. The ONLY supplier who took the effort to contact me and tell me that postage to Malta was going to be too high on a particular parcel and asked if I had a better alternative (which I had) was James Paddock. And that is why they are my first choice when searching for an item.

Others would not care less, even when the postage doubled the price of the item :(

1962 Land Rover Series 2a
1961 Land Rover Series 2a (under restoration)
1983 Land Rover Series 3

1995 Suzuki Samurai SJ413

1972 MGB GT (banished for being too tight to fit in it)