The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:53 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi,

Can some members help. I need to fit the headlight retaining panels to my car, however the originals where removed and long gone over two decades ago.

Unfortunately I don’t have a car for reference as to the exact location and alignment. I need to make up the centre support for each side as I understand this is part of the inner panel, can any members advise on the exact dimensions of these parts? Also, is there another bracket that goes on the outer part of the headlight panel and to the eyebrow? Has anyone bolted these in as apposed to welded? If they are going to be welded in it’s pretty much one chance only to get it right....I’ve tried researching this subject and found somebody who seemed to attach the aluminium bezels only and offered them into situ is this maybe what I need to do?
I’m in Worthing, West Sussex so if there’s anyone very local that might be willing to let me have a look at their car. :D :D :D :D

If there’s a few people out there can help with this issue it would be gratefully appreciated.

Chris.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:47 am 
TDC Member

Have you looked at any of James' resto posts? He provides a lot of high quality pictures that may help.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32242&start=120#p301225

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:39 pm 
TDC Member

when I took my car apart,there's a spacer bracket that determines how far the outer lamp panels fits,I've keep the old part as reference,as I'm working still in that area
My car is in Horseham

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:33 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

There’s also a tag on the HL eyebrow set about 5 mm back from the front outer edge to locate the end of the headlamp retaining panel, but I only have non HL eyebrows in the cellar at the moment so can’t measure that for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:43 pm 

Quote:
Have you looked at any of James' resto posts? He provides a lot of high quality pictures that may help.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32242&start=120#p301225
Thanks for the link,

I seem to remember he’s doing a red car too? Anyhow, I’ve sent a message and he’s happy to help :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:46 pm 

Quote:

There’s also a tag on the HL eyebrow set about 5 mm back from the front outer edge to locate the end of the headlamp retaining panel, but I only have non HL eyebrows in the cellar at the moment so can’t measure that for you.
Thanks for your help Alun.

Will see what I can come up with.