The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: It lives
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:36 am 
TDC Member

The Toledo lives on! Yesterday was spent refitting the head (easy) and all the rest of the gubbins.
Sneakily I fitted he manifold to the head before fitting the head, saved some grief. The manifold drillings on the head all needed helicoiling, that was done last week (I am a philistine and used M10, as I an source them locally rather that ordering etc) and bolted up good and tight. I also used a "new to me" manifold as it had much better studs fitted, though has been pained white....

Fitted all the rest of the bits and bobs. Refilled with water and it poured out. The bypass tube had dropped out the inlet manifold (no idea why I hadn't popped it in the water pump, maybe to sensible) so a faff to take that all off and redo. But once sorted it started once the carbs had filled with fuel and idled like nothing had happened. The paint started to burn off the manifold, but no leaks or anything to cause concern.
well, the cam is a bit noisy. I may have to re-shim that again :(

All in all very pleased. I was exteremly lucky to have a spare head as the old one had corroded badly. And the NOS BL gasket set that cam from JT's garage was very timely. And Alun has been most helpful.
Also I really need to thank Mr Mig Wielder for the loan of the "Headmaster" that made head removal a straightforward exercise.

Now all I need to do is get under the car and do half a day (probably more!) cutting and welding, and then play with the rear springs. need some sensible suspension for the RBRR and all the stuff that will be in the car. Mainly me and 2 other full size" blokes.

Post subject: Re: It lives
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:43 am 
TDC Member

Great progress Clive!

Post subject: Re: It lives
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:11 am 
TDC Member

Thursday I clocked up 150 miles in the car, no problems, no loss of any fluids etc.
Friday, changed brake fluid, some fresh Millers CSS 20-60 and fresh antifreeze. Topped up the washer bottle, new wipers (bosch, but they came without the correct plastic clips. Luckily the old ones fitted OK) Also fitted the adjustable spax shocks and 175lb springs to the rear that I recently acquired. The height adjusters were truely seized, but I had some spacers in stock, and set them up so the ride height is the same as the std 1500 rear springs that were previously fitted.
Saturday, 280 miles up the Gaydon and back, doing mainly a steady 50 (average speed cameras) or 80ish. No dramas at all. And 35mpg, but I think a tad more advance can be applied. And carbs a flat weaker. The rear springs/shocks have transformed the car, it now has 175lb all round,the spax are set softish (a tad harder than a std shock I reckon) but the bounciness has gone. So very pleased with that.

Downside is the top-of-the -range TomTom I recently bought in a moment of madness has stopped giving instructions again. Did it when frst bought, so was advised to do a factory reset. A bit of digging suggests it is an issue with a lot of them. I am off to do battle with Halfords later today. I want a replacement before RBRR, and I don't want another TomTom if they are a problem.