The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spark plug tubes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:17 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi
Going to replace the spark plug tubes but which ones are best. Original ally ones or the new stainless steel ones.
Also why does the manual say to make up an alignment tool for refitting the head when you can put the head on with the studs in place and they are the same diameter.
Any thoughts
Mike.

Post subject: Re: Spark plug tubes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:09 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Both original and 'new' are made from aluminium, but the 'new' ones rely on effective 'O' rings rather than a moulded plastic shroud to form the seal. The 'new' ones are far better

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:13 am 

Thanks for the reply
I've seen them on ebay for £58.00 is this the best supplier and price.
Any thoughts on the head alignment tool as opposed to using the original studs.
Mike.

Post subject: Aye...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:16 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Also why does the manual say to make up an alignment tool for refitting the head when you can put the head on with the studs in place and they are the same diameter.
Any thoughts
Mike.
If the engine is in the car you cannot fit the head over the studs
because the inner wing turret is in the way, Mike.

Ian.

Post subject: Re: Aye...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:33 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Any thoughts
Mike.
If the engine is in the car you cannot fit the head over the studs
because the inner wing turret is in the way, Mike
Yes you can. Did the head gasket on my sprint with the engine in the car. Went on no problem.

2023 Porsche 911 Carrera T Manual!!
2021 Toyota Yaris GR-Four
2011 Super Skoda Fabia 1.2 S HTP

Gone but not forgotten 2008 BMW M5 (E61) Touring (George, as in Best, as it likes a Drink) to be replaced soon...... Epic epic car

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:19 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

The best supplier is Club spares.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see that someone is selling these on eBay for the same price as we supply them but they want an extra £5 for postage, whereas postage is included in the ClubSpares price.

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:49 pm 

Hi and thanks for all your replys.
Are the spark plug tubes from the club the new design with the O rings or are they the original design.
Also is the list of spares from the club all they do or are there other spares that are not listed.
Thanks again
Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:04 pm 
TDC Member

Club ones are the O ring types, you do need to be a member to buy them and the parts list is also in the members only section. You would think it would be a selling point to join if the parts list was in the public area but I'm sure that's been thought about over the years.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Erm...the Spares list is in the public area, in several places just in case you didn't see it in this section; viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20147
There are a few new parts still to be added to it, such as throttle pedal rubbers and seat diaphragms which are in stock, plus a few others. Any members care to volunteer to update the list and maintain it?

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:39 pm 
TDC Member

What's that strange noise? Sounds like rapid backpedaling to me...

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great news, people - a volunteer has come forward and offered to keep the Spares List up to date! :D
Lots of very positive things now happening for the Club, watch out for the next issue of Dolly Mixture!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:14 pm 
TDC Member

Do we have a pic of the new pedal rubbers? I didnt realise they were in stock :thumbsup:

Cheers

Tony

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not sure if we have a pic, but they look exactly the same as the original, just not worn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:51 pm 

Can we get a accelerator pedal rubber to Stoneleigh ?

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.