The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:09 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

What's the score with the forum website, in the address bar at the top it comes up with a red triangle and exclamation mark and says in red also 'Not Secure' I know that if this was somewhere that I was buying from I'd avoid it like the plague and not give any bank details, being as this is just a forum site do I take it that is the reason that it is not or maybe does not need to be a secure site? Seems more than a little odd this??

NOTE FROM ADMIN: THE SITE NOW HAS AN SSL CERTIFICATE AND IS NOW DEEMED SECURE!

Post subject: Re: NOT SECURE???
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't panic. The site is not protected by an SSL certificate, so your browser (Google Chrome) thinks it is insecure. Being a relatively small club, it's an expense (over £100/year) which we can ill-afford, given that the only real benefit to us is for Chrome not to flag the site as "not secure".

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:19 am 

Mozilla have always pushed Firefox as being the most secure browser around. I use Firefox and although I get warnings on some other sites, I've had no warnings about this site being insecure.
Cheers,
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:54 pm 

I was advised recently by someone not associated with the club, but a computer software and security expert employed in the field who lives next door, said to be careful when on our site as he recons it is vulnerable to information gathering. I'm no expert in these matters and didn't ask him about this but he knowing I was a member offered the advise whilst round on one of his regular visits.

Totally separately but around the same time another member told me to be careful when on site again saying it was not secure and vulnerable. He limits his posting because of it and he is a very knowledgeable person on the mark.

I have not had any warnings, but do not use Chrome on my computers and rely on the security programs installed to warn me. They have never issued any for the site so kept using it as normal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:04 pm 
I must admit, this is annoying when using an android phone and Google chrome as you can't login to your account.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:16 pm 
TDC Member

I use a Chromebook, iPad, work-provided very-locked down laptop on Firefox or Chrome, my home PC on Firefox and Chrome.
Been using this site for 9 years. Don't use phones for stuff like this.
When you see the data collected by Google et al the last thing I'm worried about from this site is my forum password being hacked or a private message intercepted.
Maybe I'm too laid back, but life is too short when you see what what other companies collect.
No, I'm not on Facebook for a very good reason!! There are limits to what I want hacked and sold!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:49 pm 

An SSL certificate is used to verify that you are talking to the web site you think you are talking to. You don't want to send your lloyds bank login details to a fake site that looks the same set up by crooks on 11oyds.com. So ask yourselves, would a scrote go to the trouble of setting up a fake forum.triumphdo1omite.co.uk web site just so they could steal your password? With that they could log in to the real forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk and steal all your personal data. In my case that's absolutely sod all.

If you're worried just go to your profile and delete any info about you that doesn't need to be there.

As for the annoyance, would chrome STFU if we got a let's encrypt certificate?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:08 pm 

The only info someone can gain is info posted so don't post your full name. address, DOB, NI or credit card number here (just send it via PM to me instead please)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:17 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
As for the annoyance, would chrome STFU if we got a let's encrypt certificate?
TL;DR - Yes.
The usual issue is not having a root certificate so Chrome (etc) still whinge but "Let's Encrypt" certificates are cross-signed by Identrust so even though they don't have a root cert of their own, it will work.

Otherwise Justin's approach also works, though I would add to make sure that you use the same login and password as your online banking to log into the forum with!* :P

*Not really, I'm joking, please don't do that, all details are sent in clear text across the big bad internet so don't use the same username/password anywhere else.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:11 am 

Quote:

Otherwise Justin's approach also works, though I would add to make sure that you use the same login and password as your online banking to log into the forum with!* :P

*Not really, I'm joking, please don't do that, all details are sent in clear text across the big bad internet so don't use the same username/password anywhere else.
Just checked your words above and failed to log in here. You actually have a different pasword for the forum.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:15 pm 
TDC Member

All recent browsers will stop moaning with a Letsencrypt certificate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
All recent browsers will stop moaning with a Letsencrypt certificate.
Thanks for that :bluewave:

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:02 am 

Ooops seems I opened a bit of a can of worms :lol: Still good to know it's not just me who has the message and as I thought so long as I don't go posting up any details that would be of use to anyone for ID or bank type theft then all is good 8) 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The site now has its SSL certificate installed so your browser sees it as secured!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:11 am 

Quote:
The site now has its SSL certificate installed so your browser sees it as secured!
Nice one thank you, sorry if I caused any trouble I was only wondering what it was all about as I'm not very computer switched on, I know what I need to know and do what I need but don't mess too much with anything I don't need to with them ...........off to go see if any photo's that I've posted in the past will show up again now???..... Or is that a totally unrelated problem??