The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Thermostats for a 1500
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:49 pm 
TDC Member

For a long time I used to change over between a summer 82c thermostat and a winter 88 thermostat but I have not done it for a number of years. I have just put up with the engines running a bit colder in the winter.

However this year one of my cars seems to be running very cold, about a 1/4 on the temperature gauge so I am about to change the thermostat. The heater does not seem to be as hot as my other cars so I do not think it is a temperate gauge / sender problem. On getting ready to do this little job I note that some thermostats have a small hole in them with what I assume is an associated valve. See photo.

Both the official Workshop manual and the Haynes manual show thermostats with holes but I have a number that I have used in the past that do not have any holes. Can anyone advise me as to the best type to use.

I have also read in the Moss Spitfire catalogue that there is a hot climate thermostat GTS 102 (74c) is this something we should be using now to prevent overheating problems?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:48 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Hi Richard, i seem to remember people used to drill an eighth hole in these type of stats, just to help with bleeding the system. It would be interesting to see what others think :wink:

Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:26 am 
TDC Member

I am another hole-ite.
It makes sense to allow a small amount of bypass and helps to prevent air locks. At least it makes sense to me. Somebody is likely to explain why it isn't needed now!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:43 pm 
TDC Member

As I live in Bristol I visited Moss-Europe today and purchased some new thermostats one Summer 82c and one winter 88c both have small holes as I previously identified but I know some other suppliers thermostats do not have them. They were only £2.60 and £2.40.

Before I fitted them I checked them out along with the one I had taken out. The one that I took out seemed to start to open just before 82c was reached and this would be why the engine was running cold. The two new units seemed to be slightly over their specific temperatures but I fitted the winter stat and when I took the car out for a run its temperature was spot on mid range and the heater was a lot hotter. The wife will be very pleased. I must remember to change to the summer stat in the spring.

It has got me thinking about my other 1500 dolomites. My new (1981 reg) dolomite has a temperature reading mid range on the gauge. In the spring I must open it up to check what thermostat is fitted. Likewise I must look at my other two cars.

If you have a 1500 do you know what thermostat you have fitted in your engine? If it overheats in the summer it might be caused by your engine having a winter stat fitted.

Post subject: Hmm......
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:26 am 
TDC Member

I have asked this question before but didn't receive an answer then....

Why change between 82 and 88 degree thermostats?

Other manufacturers including Saab just used 88 degree all year round.
On the 1850 I had, I employed an 88 degree thermostat and the temp sat at the same spot
irrespective of the season. More importantly the heater worked in the winter!

Ian.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:46 am 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

I have got to say, i dont..... I dont even know what stat is in mine :? If it aint broke and all that :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:11 pm 
TDC Member

I will give leaving the 88C thermostat in when the weather warms up and see what happens.