The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:57 pm 
Hello to you all...

If something like this has been discussed before I do sincerely apologise!

Basically I have a Triumph Toledo that has been sitting for about 4 years and I want to bring it back to life very gently and very carefully of course!!!

I have owned the car for close on 10 years and I have to keep it, I can't let it go!

Anyhow, I digress.

What tips can you good people give me (and hopefully others!) with regards to waking a sleeping car up with a view to getting it back up and running safely?!

Any comments/suggestions with be thankfully received...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Change the oil and filter.
Get rid of the stale fuel.
Check points, plugs, air filter.
Check every single bit of rubber fuel hose on the car - it may have perished, especially old hoses which don't like modern unleaded fuel.
Check that the clutch operates - be belt and braces and change the master/slave cylinder seals.
Check the brakes very, very carefully. Calipers sieze, wheel cylinders leak.
Change the tyres, no matter how much tread they still have.
All the above based on recent personal experience.

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:06 am 
Thanks for the above tips...

I was just going to give the car a wash and leather!!!

Joking aside I realise that letting a car sit for eons is never good so I am keen to get this right.

Any more hints and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks all :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Drain the coolant and refill with new antifreeze and water.
Check the condition of all the coolant hoses.
Get the car running.
MoT it.
USE IT. Enjoy. Enormously.

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:36 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Don't forget to replace the battery. If it has been standing for 4 years the battery will be fubar.
Try turning the engine by hand to make sure it isn't seized or doesn't have any valves stuck. Do several revolutions just to be certain. If is turns freely then try turning it over on the starter motor to see if there's any oil pressure. Check the oil level on the dipstick before you try this.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:56 pm 
Quote:
Try turning the engine by hand...
I am so sorry but I have never really known what this procedure entails...?! What do you need to do to do this?!

All this advice is amazing so thank you so much!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:36 pm 

Quote:
All the above based on recent personal experience.
You have a running and working Dolomite? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, only took a mere twelve years to achieve, but now in daily use.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:33 pm 
TDC Member

Going against the grain a bit here, but beg/borrow/steal a decent battery, plugs out and spin the engine over to get oil around and hopefully fuel sucked through. Replace plugs and see if it fires up.

Obviously cast an eye over all hoses etc, but with a bit of luck not much will be needed. Except a brake fluid flush through, and some tyres (probably got flat spots, but a set of 4 decent tyres will not be horrendously expensive. Maybe wait until everything else is sorted, and then get tyres done.)

Old fuel can be an issue, but not always. You can easily drain the tank if it is no good, and pop a gallon of fresh in there. Oil change a good idea, but easier if the old oil is hot. Clutch may be an issue, but all sorts can be tried to free it off. All hydraulics will need a look, and may require seals or more.

Generally the advice above is good, but getting a car running and hopefully moving is a great incentive to getting it back on the road, rather than pouring time/effort/cash into it but without gratification.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:32 am 
My plan is to 'titivate' the Toledo first in terms of giving it a thorough clean both inside and out... I think this will be a nice bit of initial motivation to see the beast back in a state that makes it look good (even if it's below par in reality!).

Then I will most certainly follow the above steps and see what is what. As I have already said, I do want to do this in the right way so as not to make things worse.

Thanks to all for suggesting what has been suggested, I really do appreciate it!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:08 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Try turning the engine by hand...
I am so sorry but I have never really known what this procedure entails...?! What do you need to do to do this?!

All this advice is amazing so thank you so much!
As far as I know the best way is to put a large socket and wrench on the pulley bolt. I think 1 13/16" is the size you need. You shouldn't need that much effort to turn it over, and it'll be even easier if the spark plugs are out (otherwise you'll be fighting against the engine's compression - hopefully!).

Another way is to leave the car in gear and push it, but that seems less careful.

1971 Triumph Toledo 2 door
1977 Triumph Stag
Toledo blog, Toledo & Dolomite part catalogues & repair manuals

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:52 pm 
Quote:
My plan is to 'titivate' the Toledo first in terms of giving it a thorough clean both inside and out... I think this will be a nice bit of initial motivation to see the beast back in a state that makes it look good (even if it's below par in reality!).

Then I will most certainly follow the above steps and see what is what. As I have already said, I do want to do this in the right way so as not to make things worse.

Thanks to all for suggesting what has been suggested, I really do appreciate it!!!
Glad to hear you are going to keep it grifterkid, you had already made it your own. If you want to borrow my battery charger and some help getting it started I could spend a morning tinkering with it if you would like any help?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:01 pm 
All this help and advice has been most welcome, you are all such nice people!!!

It does seem like my Toledo will see the road very soon. At least, I hope it will!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:12 am 

Quote:

As far as I know the best way is to put a large socket and wrench on the pulley bolt. I think 1 13/16" is the size you need.
Another way is to leave the car in gear and push it, but that seems less careful.

The only issue with rocking the car in gear is if it has sticky brakes after being sat so long otherwise it is perfectly safe if you are sensible and don't push off down a hill.