The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:34 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

im looking to renew the road springs on 1300 browny,think past there best but still holding on :)
got front and rear shocks sorted
standard height or inch lower`d......any advice?

thanks nic

Dolomite 1300,1980`V`reg in british racing brown(russet),3.63 diff with 21t speedo pinion,95%poly`d,HL clocks,standard wheels with SE covers wrapt in 175 70 13,mot`d 19-09-2014,been off the since 1990,(july2017) stainless steel exhaust 3-piece,(xmas2018) wooden mountney steering wheel,(june2020) new monroe shock(radial front,gas-matic rears) with -1" lower`d springs all round.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:06 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Lowered looks awesome, but the ride is quite different. A standard height car soaks up a lot of road imperfections. A lowered car...not so much.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 pm 
TDC Member

Just take care what you get.
I ordered standard ride height heavy duty springs from Rimmers.
The rears were too big to fit the spring top plates (so I had to fettle them)
The front ride height is about the same as the other springs I have which were 1" lowering springs (even though the new ones were supposed to be "standard")
I took it up with Rimmers and they said they'd investigate, but never got back to me.
Anyway with those springs it looks like this:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:53 pm 

think i might go for standards all round and go from there,any one got free length sizes of front and rear springs,,so i can measure the new ones at rimmers there not far from me

Dolomite 1300,1980`V`reg in british racing brown(russet),3.63 diff with 21t speedo pinion,95%poly`d,HL clocks,standard wheels with SE covers wrapt in 175 70 13,mot`d 19-09-2014,been off the since 1990,(july2017) stainless steel exhaust 3-piece,(xmas2018) wooden mountney steering wheel,(june2020) new monroe shock(radial front,gas-matic rears) with -1" lower`d springs all round.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:10 pm 
TDC Member

Middle one, which is the one fitted on the front for the photo of the car above, is 325mm free length. (Rimmers HD "standard" ride height... according to them)
Left is original spec, on the right is the official 1" lower.

Sorry haven't got photos of the rear.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:08 am 

Quote:
The front ride height is about the same as the other springs I have which were 1" lowering springs (even though the new ones were supposed to be "standard")
I took it up with Rimmers and they said they'd investigate, but never got back to me.
Anyway with those springs it looks like this:
That doesn't surprise me, bought a sprint rocker arm from them. Secondhand, so i didn't expect perfection but the faces were so rotten it looked like it came from the bottom of the sea. Complained, said they would get back to me and never heard a thing.

I avoid them unless there is absolutely no alternative.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:10 pm 

il hold off buying,might have to strip a leg of red dolly and take spring with me to rimmers.........thanks all for advice.nice one :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:14 pm 

Quote:
The springs from Rimmers have always been like this, I had a 'discussion' with them over 10 years ago where they said I was fitting them wrong and when I said a neighbour of mine has the same issue and had sent theirs back they still denied it even when sent proof they still continued to say there wasn't a problem.
I then found others who had sent springs back but Rimmers still wouldn't admit they were the wrong size. we did receive a refund as a 'good will gesture' from them though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:53 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
The springs from Rimmers have always been like this, I had a 'discussion' with them over 10 years ago where they said I was fitting them wrong and when I said a neighbour of mine has the same issue and had sent theirs back they still denied it even when sent proof they still continued to say there wasn't a problem.
I then found others who had sent springs back but Rimmers still wouldn't admit they were the wrong size. we did receive a refund as a 'good will gesture' from them though.
Are there any other suppliers out there that can do HD Standard ride height springs? I recon to have searched the usual suspects before (with a heavy heart) ordering from Rimmers.... only for my fears to be proved right.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:39 pm 

Quote:
Are there any other suppliers out there that can do HD Standard ride height springs? I recon to have searched the usual suspects before (with a heavy heart) ordering from Rimmers.... only for my fears to be proved right.
I think (but may be wrong) I used Herald Spring as the are the same size but heavier.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:14 pm 

herald? any pictures of spring on shock

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:12 pm 

Quote:
herald? any pictures of spring on shock
they are fitted to a car in my workshop, if I remember (not very likely) I'll pop them out and measure them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:54 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Fit standard springs and height adjustable dampers, best of both worlds.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

Post subject: Hmm......
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:55 am 
TDC Member

Very reluctantly I feel I must comment....
Quote:
Middle one, which is the one fitted on the front for the photo of the car above, is 325mm free length. (Rimmers HD "standard" ride height... according to them)

That is what I would expect to see, Sam.
If the HD was the same free length as the standard spring wouldn't the car sit higher?

I have used springs from Rimmers without any problems in conjunction with adjustable shocks.
From experience, I know buying adjustable shocks is sensible because the fixed type don't always have
the platforms in the same place.
In other words I agree with Mark:
Quote:
Fit standard springs and height adjustable dampers, best of both worlds.
thanks
Ian

Post subject: Re: Hmm......
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:57 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Very reluctantly I feel I must comment....
Quote:

That is what I would expect to see, Sam.
If the HD was the same free length as the standard spring wouldn't the car sit higher?
Also what I expect to see, but I've measure the front (settled) ride height with all 3 of those springs fitted and the HD "STD" are within a few mm or the 1" lower spec springs, whereas the original saggy old springs give a ride height roughly 20mm above that. Accounting for sag over the years I'd say that tallies up and the HD "STD" springs Rimmers supplied never had a cat in hells chance of giving me STD ride height.