The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:01 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi,
Having a real strong dislike for sighting modern plastic electrical ties under the hoods (or anywhere) on veteran & vintage cars, recently I bought several of these (8 inches long X 1/4 inch wide) brass ties from the "Restoration Supply Company", and their spiel is.... "Authentic lightweight brass wire tie to correctly “tie stuff” together on vintage vehicles".
My question is....What is the 'correct" way to tie them off?
The pointy end from the outside through the end slot/hole and then upwards and outwards through the innermost hole? .....seems like one way that'd work, but I just don't know. This is in order to secure some exposed wiring loom on my 1915 speedster and because it'll be clearly visible, I want to get it right.

Anybody "in the know"?
Thanks & Cheers,
Rob

Attachments:
ele244.JPG
ele244.JPG [ 39.02 KiB | Viewed 869 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:32 am 
TDC Member

I think through the nearest hole first then back through to the furthest hole with a bend so the double bend stops it undoing. Hard to explain lol

Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:08 am 

Quote:
I think through the nearest hole first then back through to the furthest hole with a bend so the double bend stops it undoing. Hard to explain lol

Tony
Sounds logical to me Tony.
Good advice from you as usual.
Cheers,
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:31 pm 

They are called Buckle clips through the inner most hole first , pull tight, then through the outer hole and bend back but these are 'too old' for Dolomites why not use the original type or binding tape?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:37 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
They are called Buckle clips through the inner most hole first , pull tight, then through the outer hole and bend back but these are 'too old' for Dolomites why not use the original type or binding tape?
Because they're for his Speedster! :wink:

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:41 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Because they're for his Speedster! :wink:

Oh ok ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:24 pm 

Thanks Gents,
I appreciate your good advice.
Cheers,
Rob