The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: POWER STEERING
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:15 pm 
TDC Editor

Having run Dolomites / FWDs since 1987 age is catching up with me and I find my Dolly SE a great car but a bit too heavy on the steering at parking speeds. So I have decided to have an "Easysteer" power assisted unit fitted. The firm has an extensive web site and is based in Bolton, so not too far from me here in Leeds. They sent me some pictures of a Dolomite fitted with their unit, it sits nicely at head of column just above the parcel shelf. I was concerned as to where the unit would be fitted - little room in engine bay due to large servo unit.
They charge £800 to supply and fit, which seems quite reasonable. Another system costs in excess of £1500 - I mentioned it in Dolly Mixture.
The pictures they sent were of an Auto Dolly, is the owner a club member or reader of this forum? Has anyone else had such a unit fitted?

Post subject: Re: POWER STEERING
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:32 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Having run Dolomites / FWDs since 1987 age is catching up with me and I find my Dolly SE a great car but a bit too heavy on the steering at parking speeds. So I have decided to have an "Easysteer" power assisted unit fitted. The firm has an extensive web site and is based in Bolton, so not too far from me here in Leeds. They sent me some pictures of a Dolomite fitted with their unit, it sits nicely at head of column just above the parcel shelf. I was concerned as to where the unit would be fitted - little room in engine bay due to large servo unit.
They charge £800 to supply and fit, which seems quite reasonable. Another system costs in excess of £1500 - I mentioned it in Dolly Mixture.
The pictures they sent were of an Auto Dolly, is the owner a club member or reader of this forum? Has anyone else had such a unit fitted?
Hi

Do you know what it would cost just to supply ?

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It'll tell you on their website; http://simonebirchall.co.uk/shop.html

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:06 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Interesting, I have seen that company but didn't know they did Dolly systems.

You have checked that your current steering system is working properly? While converting my 1500 to a Sprint I took off the steering rack and found the knuckle joint (think that is the name of it ) was frozen and needed freeing. I believe that can make the steering heavy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:56 pm 

Steve

I would second checking things out first. When I got mine the steering was very heavy but after lubricating the knuckle joints and greasing the rack it was much easier on the arms. Keeping the rack well greased and re doing the joint regularly keeps it that way. I recently put on new track rod ends, they had passed the MOT but had an advisory for the rubbers and I ended up putting on new greaseable ones. It surprised me how much of a difference that made also.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:22 pm 
TDC Member

Some good pictures on their website showing the unit and the slightly modified parcel shelf. Looks better than the corsa version which is much lower down the shaft.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:44 pm 

Quote:
Steve

I would second checking things out first. When I got mine the steering was very heavy but after lubricating the knuckle joints and greasing the rack it was much easier on the arms. Keeping the rack well greased and re doing the joint regularly keeps it that way. I recently put on new track rod ends, they had passed the MOT but had an advisory for the rubbers and I ended up putting on new greaseable ones. It surprised me how much of a difference that made also.
I don't think I have ever come across ball-joints for outboard track-rod ends with a greasing facility (i.e. grease nipples). Do you have any more information about these?

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=308177758

Upgraded 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (Toledo / Dolomite HL / Sprint hybrid)

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:24 pm 
TDC Member

The last dolomite that I purchased has stiff steering and on investigating I found that one, of what looks like a relatively new lower suspension ball joint, part number GSJ 135 or GSJ 136 is very tight. I am hoping that it will free up with use.

I disconnected the track rod ends to find out where the stiffness was within the steering system as it is quite easy to split them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:38 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Quote:
lower suspension ball joint, part number GSJ 135 or GSJ 136 is very tight. I am hoping that it will free up with use.
I have had exactly this situation and unfortunately in my experience it just gets worse, so they want changing really!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:47 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Steve

I don't think I have ever come across ball-joints for outboard track-rod ends with a greasing facility (i.e. grease nipples). Do you have any more information about these?
Are these the items to which you refer:

Track-rod end GSJ156 with grease nipple

GSJ156 Triumph High Quality Track Rod End With Grease Nipple 2000 2.5 Tr5 Tr6 - £8.45 - Free postage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/GSJ156-Triumph ... 2405349665

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:13 pm 

Are these the items to which you refer

I don't know what the part no. Is, my local classic car garage got them probably from Moss as their round the corner from him. Recommended them and he fits them where he can. He has a knack of knowing what parts can be used on cars that they are not listed for but fit perfectly. The ones in the picture look the same but I couldn't confirm if they would fit. I will pop over to see him in the next few days and see if I can get the part no. off him or what car they are meant for. I know he has fitted parts for tr4 or 6 on mine that are identical but not listed as being so.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've recently had ALL my car's steering components replaced and on the move, the steering is great. However, at parking speeds, the steering is hugely heavier than that of a modern, PAS-equipped car. This is why the original poster in this topic is thinking of having his car fitted with PAS.

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:26 pm 

Quote:
Are these the items to which you refer

I don't know what the part no. Is, my local classic car garage got them probably from Moss as their round the corner from him. Recommended them and he fits them where he can. He has a knack of knowing what parts can be used on cars that they are not listed for but fit perfectly. The ones in the picture look the same but I couldn't confirm if they would fit. I will pop over to see him in the next few days and see if I can get the part no. off him or what car they are meant for. I know he has fitted parts for tr4 or 6 on mine that are identical but not listed as being so.
In addition to the steering rack, I have always regularly greased the top steering swivels and later the propeller-shaft universal-joints, once I discovered they had blanking plugs which could be replaced by grease nipples.

I wonder whether bottom steering swivels with greasing points are also available for the Triumph Toledo & Dolomite!?!
Quote:
I've recently had ALL my car's steering components replaced and on the move, the steering is great. However, at parking speeds, the steering is hugely heavier than that of a modern, PAS-equipped car. This is why the original poster in this topic is thinking of having his car fitted with PAS.
Apart from driving a 2004 SEAT Leon Cupra 20V Turbo for 1 mile only (the most modern car I have driven), the only other car I have driven with power-assisted steering, was my father's 1986 Ford Sierra XR4x4 (the next most modern car I have ever driven).

The 23 feet long, Ford truck-based motorhome that I drove in California in September 1981, had horribly-weighted power-assisted steering, which enabled one to virtually turn the steering wheel with one hand when the vehicle was stationary. :evil: It would have felt horribly unsafe on wet or icy roads!

Nigel A. Skeet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:30 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Steve

Are these the items to which you refer:

Track-rod end GSJ156 with grease nipple

GSJ156 Triumph High Quality Track Rod End With Grease Nipple 2000 2.5 Tr5 Tr6 - £8.45 - Free postage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/GSJ156-Triumph ... 2405349665
Sorry for the delay in getting back regarding greaseable track rod ends. I am advised they are for the MG Midget so could possibly be the ones shown although the Midget is not listed on the specs. They were supplied by my local classic garage and I believe they got them from Moss.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:55 pm 

Here is the link to more appropriate track-rod end ball joints with grease nipples, for the Triumph 1300, 1500, Toledo & Dolomite, from Classic Parts Trader:

2 x TRIUMPH 1300, 1500 (FWD & RWD), DOLOMITE, TOLEDO REGREASABLE TRACK ROD ENDS

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371256879302 ... Swl51hL7Sp

Price: £12.99

Classic Parts Trader
Ian Farrington-Smith
50 Beaufort Avenue
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
CV32 7TB
United Kingdom
Phone:07722828427
Email:ianfs13@gmail.com

Nigel A. Skeet