The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shiny Stainless Exhaust
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:38 am 
TDC Member

Picked up a clever trick from a motorbike forum. How to get dull and dirty stainless pipes shiny. First get some harpic and brush it on the tail pipe. Leave it for about 20 minutes then rinse off. This leaves a very nice clean dull stainless finish. 5 minutes with Solvo Autosol gives an almost chrome like finish. A good touch to my Dolomites rear end without too much effort.

This may be too harsh for alloy so be careful !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:40 am 
Quote:
Picked up a clever trick from a motorbike forum. How to get dull and dirty stainless pipes shiny. First get some harpic and brush it on the tail pipe. Leave it for about 20 minutes then rinse off. This leaves a very nice clean dull stainless finish. 5 minutes with Solvo Autosol gives an almost chrome like finish. A good touch to my Dolomites rear end without too much effort.

I will have to try this on my extremely dull Stainless Rimmers system! Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:10 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

i can confirm it works a treat, i have been using on my motorbikes down-pipes for some time, i brush it on and leave for a few minutes, then brush on some more and agitate, comes up a treat.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:13 pm 
Is any particular type of Harpic required?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:41 pm 

harpic max 10, in the black bottle, available in the pound shop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:15 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXcM6g-JaBo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:31 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

I will have to try this on my extremely dull Stainless Rimmers system! Thanks for the tip.
I don't rate the quality of the brothers exhaust, it wouldn't surprise me if the stainless steel they use isn't as stainless as it should be.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:54 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't rate the quality of the brothers exhaust, it wouldn't surprise me if the stainless steel they use isn't as stainless as it should be.

I agree, For the cost it is not great. But its the only option without going custom...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:30 am 
TDC Member

Great Video, I think the entire bike needs a spray of Harpic, trouble is it may turn the engine black.
My MGB GT exhaust will be next, even though when I bought it from Moss, it looked almost chrome. The pipes now look like the "before" in the video ( cheap stainless ? ). My Dolomite exhaust is way better with just a dull finish from end to end.