The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:33 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Been a while, tried to login, alas, my old nick "straylight" was no more. So I re-registered and looks like I have it back. Hopefully. Sentimental.

Bit of an update, sadly the sprint hasn't been on the road for 6 months, the shame, the shame. But took her out last monday for a bit of a run. Seems I'm leaking diff oil into the rear hubs, so work needed there (awesome forum resources for doing this btw) and more worrying is the intermittent electrical cut out. Driving along, steady revs, and the engine dies. Full fuel filter and it is too sudden to be a starvation issue. Comes good after 5-10 seconds and sometimes accompanied by some awesome backfires. Intermittent, seems good for 10-15min, then plays up again.

<sigh>

facebook is okay, but tbh, nothing beats the information that is collected in these forums.

I miss Jonners, seems weird reading the threads he contributed so much to :(

stu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:25 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Check your battery connections, if they are ok, try the plug at the back of the ignition switch. You can get an awesome backfire by switching off he ignition whilst driving.

I know what you mean about Jonners, I’m still visiting his house once a month or so, and there’s a real empty space there!

Good to see you back here!

Post subject: Aye, it is good,......
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:33 am 
TDC Member

Welcome back Stu.

Ian.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:11 am 
TDC Member

Hi Stu, welcome back. :bluewave:

Check the fuse connections as well. Get a bit of wire wool on them to make sure they are making good contact.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:24 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Stu, Just a couple of other things to check when the engine dies in this mode.
( You may have to be quick to do these checks before the dodgy connection comes good again ).
* Is the oil pressure light ON when the engine dies and stops, and as an additional check does the Handbrake light work OK ?
If so then the white cable wiring from the output side of the ignition switch is O.K. and you can concentrate on ignition coil related stuff.
* Does the heater blower motor work and also the washers ?
If so then the fused side of the IGN ON wiring is O.K.
* Does the hooter still work ?
If so the fused side of the always-on-12V supply is O.K.
* Do the headlights still work ?
If so the unfused side of the 12V always on wiring is O.K

After that its the battery connection/ earth leads / and the multiway connector block.
Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:17 pm 
TDC Member

Straylight? Awesome club tune by Baxter Baxter about 10 years ago, when I still frequented such places..!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:36 am 

Thanks for the quick suggestions about the ignition....onto it. I need to trace out my ignition kill switch anti-theft circuit, I found the switch !

Thanks for the warm welcome back. I am on FB if you want to hit me up. Member of the official FB page.

Galileo....straylight - from the "Villa Straylight" - Neuromancer :), with a side reference to spectroscopy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:09 am 

Stu,
I have no advice regarding your Sprints "issues", but its great to have you back.
Cheers cobber,
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:16 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Galileo....straylight - from the "Villa Straylight" - Neuromancer :), with a side reference to spectroscopy.
Brilliant! That never occured to me, I want to change my handle to Wintermute!

Just to be actually useful, my Sprint coughed and died in a similar way a few months back, thought it was the rev counter that was the cause but mysteriously the ignition feed in the fusebox had come loose.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:29 pm 

When you are on points and have the original setup you can leave all wiring and fusebox issues. The ballast wire to the coil is directly connected inside the loom. The only thing can be the ignition switch feed or the ignition on wire out. But when your probleem occurs and all other functions still work then the ignition switch and feeds are also ok.

Jeroen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:44 am 
TDC Member

Yes, welcome back. Good to hear from you. It must be the season for brake drums full of oil - I'm in the middle of fixing mine, which I only found when rotating the wheels. Gearbox nose seal 141756 is a better replacement for the one in the axle, but I'm changing outer seals and bearings as well given it hasn't been done before in 120,000 miles!

Geoff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:33 am 

Good diagnosis. I recall now that when I parked up and went for a restart, the engine fired but cut out shortly after, when the pressure on the key was released. Points to the ignition key switch. I'll look at it this weekend.

I have a replacement modern fusebox.

Thanks again, I need to spend more time in intelligent discussion on a forum and less time on the rubbish facebook.

stu