The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 716 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 pm 
TDC Member

Bish

That doesn't seem a bad price for repainting the wheels,it's a job i also need doing but at the moment it's not a high priority, are they a local company

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:09 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Bish

That doesn't seem a bad price for repainting the wheels,it's a job i also need doing but at the moment it's not a high priority, are they a local company

Dave
Spit n polish in Tonbridge, so local to me Dave. They’ve been around a long time, but I’ve never used them before. I’ve heard more good things about them than bad over the years so I think I’ll give them a go. Nicely refurbed wheels will probably be the best looking part of the car though! :?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:50 pm 

I’ve had the Bilt Hamber out and been drowning the cars cavities in wax oil. It’s good stuff - a little bit more expensive than others but goes a long way especially in the hot weather we’re having...

The wiper mech from Steve turned up today. Thanks mate :thumbsup:
There’s no time like the present so on it went with little fuss, and I have working wipers again!

I have dropped my wheels at Spit and Polish in Tonbrdge for a refurb. I’m away now for a couple of weeks family holiday time, so will collect them on my return. Can’t wait to get the car back on the ground again!! Some thing to look forward to on my return ........

:D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:21 pm 
TDC Member

What a great thread this is to follow, lots of tips and information - keep them coming Bish :)

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:05 pm 

Thanks Murdo.

I picked up my alloys from Spit and Polish yesterday. They have made a lovely job of them.

They arent lacquered so I was going to give them a final clean up with autosolve on the cut faces and then a good coat of wax for protection. But, I soon found that three of the five tyres are fitted the wrong way round. My tyres are directional and they have fitted three of them with the inner faces on the outside. Bugger! The tyre walls are clearly marked up inner and outer so you’d think it wouldn’t be too difficult a job, but there you go mistakes happen. I’ll pop them back in the morning and see if they can sort them out ASAP.
:roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:29 pm 
TDC Member

Bish

The wheels have come up well

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:35 pm 

Quote:
Bish

The wheels have come up well

Dave
Thanks Dave.
It’s a big expense for me. I usually like to do these things myself, but just don’t have the time at the moment to refurb five wheels. They’ve turned out nicely though and will definitely be the best looking bit of the car!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:14 pm 
TDC Member

NICE!!! 8) 8)

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:44 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Gorgeous :mrgreen: :eyes4u: :eyes4u:

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:00 pm 

Thanks chaps.

I have dropped the three wheels back at spit and polish to have the tyres swapped round to the correct way. The other two have had a final polish with autosolve and a good coat of collinite and they look even better! The bill was a bit more than I expected though - isn’t it always? - I paid extra to have new valves, tyres re fitted and balanced, to all five wheels - plus the dreaded vat. Total £339.

Products used

Waxed

Polished

:thumbsup:

Last edited by Bish on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:53 pm 
TDC Member

They look amazing Bish.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:42 am 

Thanks Murdo.

I went into the garage yesterday to carry on with the wheels and smelt a strong whiff of petrol.
A bit of investigation found petrol dripping through the drain hole in the boot floor.

Just when I thought I would be getting the car back on it’s wheels soon, VYK fights back again! Petrol drained and tank removed the rusty bottom of the tank shows it’s ugly face!

I guess it could be repaired - I may be able to do it myself - but have never attempted fuel tank repair before! I know good tanks are getting harder to find so I have put a wanted ad on the forum. If anyone has a good tank please let me know.

It’s another one of those things that I’m not too chuffed about, but pleased enough that it has happened now rather than at a later date when I’m miles from home. Also it’s given me a chance to clean the boot area up properly. All in all it doesn’t look too bad in there... if a bit wet......

Cat litter is an excellent soak up tool and also removes nasty niffs...

:spliff: No smoking!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:53 pm 
TDC Member

The joy of classics Bish, they'll always be something needing doing, but a fuel leak - totally agree thats something you want to find now.

I'll need to update my post. I'm hoping to have the interior valeted next week and start fitting it. I'll MOT it but wont be used now until next summer, not going to TAX it over the winter months.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:50 pm 

My boot floor has holes and is very rusty. I dare not take out the tank just yet and see what lurks beneath!

Actually that is not entirely true. I'd like to take it out, but I made the mistake of filling the fuel tank when I bought the car. However I haven't used it since driving it back, so I need to find some way of emptying it and somewhere to put a couple gallons of fuel.

Have you tried any local radiator recoring places? I know they often have the ability and want to fix fuel tanks too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:10 pm 

Quote:
My boot floor has holes and is very rusty. I dare not take out the tank just yet and see what lurks beneath!

Actually that is not entirely true. I'd like to take it out, but I made the mistake of filling the fuel tank when I bought the car. However I haven't used it since driving it back, so I need to find some way of emptying it and somewhere to put a couple gallons of fuel.

Have you tried any local radiator recoring places? I know they often have the ability and want to fix fuel tanks too.
I have emailed my local radiator repair shop. My dad had his tr6 radiator re-cored there which they did a nice job of. Maybe they can help......

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 716 Next