The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:43 am 
Made good progress on my little list of weekend jobs - with the subframe bolts, the replacement ones I bought were too short so stuck with the long ones and used two of the metal inserts out of a set of bushes as a spacer for the mean time, that and a couple of washers. Not sure if it will pass certification but will do till I can get someone with a decent threadcutter to lengthen the thread on those two bolts.
I also hooked up the new brake fluid pipe to the booster which was easy enough. And connected the plunger to the brake pedal which needed a bit of attention to the hole in the pedal for the pin with a drill to make everything fit (due it to being a 1300 car without the brake booster prior to me adding a booster)
Ive also got the car off the stands and back on its wheels again in preparation for putting the engine back in. Im thinking it will be easier to put the manifolds back on before putting the engine in however I think I will leave the newly painted valve cover off till I have the engine back in so a chain or whatever dosent damage the paint.
Im pretty sure the slave cylinder is dead. I tried to bleed the clutch it when it was in the donor car with out much luck. so we will see what progress I can make with the brakes both front and back - I notice the backs are disconnected. I havent given the back end much attention so hopefully the backs will be useable for now.
cheers
Alastair

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:49 am 
Update on work on my Toledo

I had planned to have the car up and running by the end of the year but it doesn’t look like that is going to happen!

The aim of my current efforts is to get the car mobile so that I can move it around the garage and on to the drive way– to that end I have had all the engine electricals sorted out (one electrician did the work and then another had to redo it!) and have got the hand brake working so sometime soon it will go off to a local hot rod / custom workshop who are going to make an exhaust system for it and also get the motor running, bleed the brakes etc so that I can at least move it out of the garage so that when the time comes I can paint it. Also I will then be able to access the other side of the car and will be able to put the interior in and get all that side of things sorted out.

I’ve taken the rear boot floor out as it was pretty rusty – they must have run out of rust protection when the car was new as the rest of the car has been rust proofed. So once the replacement boot floor arrives I will weld that in. There are a few small patches to be made around the edges and in the wheel arches but shouldn’t take too long to get that sorted. Ive rather bravely bought a welder to do the work myself – and unless I come across someone who can do the work incredibly cheaply I will do it.

I haven’t tackled the back end yet – it may happen after I have I got it running and before I paint it. I have all the bits for it – bushes and the like but I’m not sure what I will do about the shock absorbers. When I did the front I should have bought height adjustable shock absorbers rather than standard ones I bought – may be I’ll swap them to the back and put new height adjustable ones on the front. I guess it should have the same shock absorbers all round. I wonder if anyone has a set of second hand height adjustable shock for sale?

A few things I need that hopefully someone will be able to supply for me

• The curved chrome finishers that go on the back corners of the car – both sides
• Front central interior mirror (actually I’ve got the mirror but the mounting is missing)
• The round central interior light cover for the inside of the car
• Front chin spoiler from a sprint
• Right back passenger interior door cover (in black)
• Smiths Oil pressure and Oil temp gauges
• Also a rev counter in a pod would be handy if anyone has one that is surplus – (to satisfy the inner boy racer in me!)
• 5.5 Minilite wheels suitable for the Toledo (I’m looking at putting 185/70/13 tyres on – I’m going for the slightly lowered widened rally car look), given their unique PCD they hardly ever come up for sale in NZ or for that matter dolly sprint alloys would be good)

Further down the track I’m going to need a black carpet set (there’s a company in NZ who make new ones so will prob buy new if nothing turns up)

Post subject: Okay........
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:22 am 
TDC Member

Quote:

• 5.5 Minilite wheels suitable for the Toledo (I’m looking at putting 185/70/13 tyres on – I’m going for the slightly lowered widened rally car look), given their unique PCD they hardly ever come up for sale in NZ or for that matter dolly sprint alloys would be good)

If it is the same as an early Dolomite, the interior light lens is also the same as a Triumph 2000/2.5 saloon.

I think 175/70 x 13 tyres should be a better option Alastair. these keep the gearing the same.
Also, the Minilight replicas usually have more offset than Sprint wheels, which is the reason I would go Minilight.

Ian.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:09 am 
https://palmside.co.nz/collections/whee ... e-4-x95-25

Do these wheels look right for the Toledo? I notice they are only 5" rather than 5.5" does that matter?

Also just noticed a picture of a Toledo with the bumper under riders - I think they look quite good especially if a spoiler is also attached. Can they be added to cars that didn't already have them? I suspect NZ toledos came with out them when new.

cheers

Alastair

Post subject: Yes ...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:51 am 
TDC Member

The seems a reasonable solution.....
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?w ... offset2=20

Ian.

Post subject: Re: Okay........
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:34 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Quote:

If it is the same as an early Dolomite, the interior light lens is also the same as a Triumph 2000/2.5 saloon.

I think 175/70 x 13 tyres should be a better option Alastair. these keep the gearing the same.
Also, the Minilight replicas usually have more offset than Sprint wheels, which is the reason I would go Minilight.

Ian.
According to my calculations, the 185/70 R13 tyres are of slightly larger external circumference than the 155 R13 tyres (i.e. 155/83 R13 or 155/82 R13 or 155/80 R13; dependent upon which information sources you believe!?!) and the 175/70 R13 tyres are slightly smaller.

I have run both 175 R13 (i.e. 175/83 R13 or 175/82 R13 or 175/80 R13; dependent upon which information sources you believe!?!) and 185/70 R13 tyres on 5½ x 13 inch alloy wheels; the former of which gave about 10% better fuel economy with about 5% larger external circumference.
Quote:
The seems a reasonable solution.....
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?w ... offset2=20

Ian.
Clearance within the wheel arches is not the only issue. In my experience, altering the steering-offset (aka tyre scrub-radius) can result in unpredictable & undesirable steering characteristics. :shock:

I originally had Cosmic 5½ x 13 inch alloy wheels, with 21 mm offset. These were okay with 175 R13 tyres but the 185/70 R13 tyres experienced rubbing when carrying loads in the rear; together with undesirable steering characteristics when negotiating bends under power. Changing over to Dolomite Sprint 5½ x 13 inch alloy wheels, with 35 mm offset, eliminated both problems.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=308177758

Upgraded 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (Toledo / Dolomite HL / Sprint hybrid)

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club

Last edited by naskeet on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:52 pm 
Hi All

The toledo now has an exhaust pipe! Its a locally made 2" system - looks to be pretty bore so it should sound good. Turns out the cost of getting one made was about the same as getting one form the UK so I got one made

And I have functioning front brakes! I asked the exhaust guy to bleed the brakes whilst he had it on the hoist - was able to get the front brakes sorted but the flexible hoses in the rear brake line has a blockage (which Im told they tend to do) so I will have to get another one. Im told that I will have to get one made but Im fairly sure that rimmers sell them in a set of three (one for each wheel and one for the line?

So the tow company left the car on the sloping driveway with questionable brakes - so I rushed home and thanks to wife and brother managed to push it up the hill into the garage..

So it looks like the next job is to overhaul the backbrakes/suspension etc and put the new bushes that I have had for a while in the suspension

But Im very tempted to see if i can just get it going before doing anything else.....my rather heath robinson throttle cable mounting arrangement is a bit of a concern - not sure if I have throttle cable movement but i'll give it a whirl and see what happens!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:08 pm 

Quote:
Hi All

The toledo now has an exhaust pipe! Its a locally made 2" system - looks to be pretty bore so it should sound good. Turns out the cost of getting one made was about the same as getting one form the UK so I got one made.
I can't help wondering whether a 2 inch (i.e. 50·8 mm) exhaust system might be too large for a 1500 engine!?!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:43 am 
Thought i would put a bit of an update on here

Have been doing a few minor bits and pieces on the Toledo all whilst waiting for the boot floor to arrive from Horopito. Once that turns up it will be off to the Panel beaters to have it welded in. The certification required means that I cant weld it in myself. Ive been having a few half hearted attempts at getting the car running, so far with out much luck however last night established that the choke wasn't working so made a few adjustments there so hopefully I now have a functioning choke!
Ive been getting fuel right through to the carb bowl and I know I have a spark so hopefully it might playball when I give it a crank this evening.
Other jobs that need to be done include bleeding the back brakes now that I have replaced the central flexible hose. Once I get it running it will be interior time
Im debating changing the wheel to minilites so that - probably cheaper that the getting the wheels blasted and painted.
Then once the boot floor is done it will be time to tackle the back end including the leaking back end pinion at the front ofthe diff and painting under the floor and new bushes etc and maybe height adjustable shocks all round.
SO plenty to do!
cheers
Alastair

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:03 am 
A quick update on my Toledo. It has had a boot floor put in at considerable expense and today the whole car is being primed. I managed to find a reasonably priced panel beater via group on face book. So I have minilites and tyres to add to the car when it come from back the paint shop.
other than the wheels and tyres I will leave the car pretty much standard untoill pastI get what promises to be the madness of the certification/ registration process.
I have to research the certification process a bit - but for now I'll get it up to warrant of fitness level and take things from there.

One thing I'm looking to do longer term is to put a weber double barrel carb on it - this will require a new manifold (if anyone has a spare manifold suitable for 32/36 weber carb - i would be interested). And while I'm at it I would like to put in a an uprated exhaust manifold - am I right in thinking that the club produce these exhaust manifolds? If so at what cost?

Im hoping to use this car a for a bit of lite motorsport and so it will need to be suitably equipped - more suspension/ handling wise than speed wise. I have uprated adjustable shock absorbers / springs on the way and I think the other area which will need attention is the brakes - particularly the front ones. Am I right in thinking that the combination of Austin Princess brakes and Toyota corolla AE86 disc will work? Both should be available locally (NZ).

whilst at the paint shop a lucky mechanic is going to bleed the clutch properly (at the moment it is a pump up clutch- 10 pushes on the clutch and it work)

So hopefully it will be back from painting in a few weeks. Then the fun begins!

Cheers

Alastair Cox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:28 am 
long time since I have been on here.

Update on the Toledo. It has just been repainted over the last week and once the paint has been flattened and polished it will be heading back home. It s been repainted in the same colour - Emerald green or close to it.

Looking forward to putting it all back together - although it is mostly there already mostly just windows/doors needs to be reassembling. And the chrome trim, lights grills etc. What is used to re-attache the trim to the paint work? If I can get away with not using those wee clips on the new paint work I would be happy.

I have managed to get a set of black leather seats from and Alfa 156v6 but will leave the standard seats in while i do the registration certification process but it will get the minilites and new tyres put on that are sitting waiting in the garage.

BTW this is the inspiration for my car - Im yet to see one of these BMW's in NZ so will make do with a triumph instead!
https://petrolicious.com/films/this-bmw ... grey-ghost

Currently the car has a 1500 engine in standard form which I ma looking to upgrade once everything has been done. Im not sure if I should persevere with this engine or try and find a tr7/1850 engine and overdrive gearbox - I imagine this will require changing of springs etc but am quite keen to go down this path.

I haven't worked out the details of which carb etc I am going to use but hopefully I could switch from a 1500 to 1850 with out changing the carb if i got say a 32/36 weber or something similar. If any one has a suitable manifold for a Weber I would be keen to get hold of a second hand one

Any way if anyone in NZ has a dolomite engine and overdrive gearbox sitting in a shed somewhere I would be keen to hear about them.

Will attach some pictures once I've got it all back together again.

cheers

Alastair

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:00 am 
Hi All

My Toledo is just about ready to go through the certification process and get back on the road.

For now it is just about standard spec (minilites, 2 inch exhaust, front anti roll bar) but once it is back on the road I will probably look to up the performance a bit

My plan is to initially add twin SU's from a 1500 spitfire as well as an a suitable exhaust manifold to connect up to the 2 inch exhaust which it already has. I understand that the club can supply an uprated exhaust manifold for a 1500? are they still available and how much are they?

Depending on how it goes uprating the front brakes might be fairly high up on the list!

I'm not looking to get too carried away with the 'upspeccing' but am keen to get it running as well as is practical.

Is replacing the distributor with a more modern ignition system something that is worth doing in terms of reliability and performance?

would be keen to hear what people think is the best spec for a 1500 in terms of performance and reliability

cheers

Alastair

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:56 pm 

Hello Alistair.

How are you progressing with your New Zealand specification, slightly-modified (i.e. front anti-roll bar, 2-inch exhaust & Minilite style wheels with unspecified tyres), Triumph Toledo 1500? Did you manage to get the car registered, licenced, WOFed and insured? Have you driven it yet?

Noting your earlier reference to the following Minilite style 5 x 13 inch wheels of 4 x 95•25 mm PCD & 21 mm offset, please keep in mind my observations about strange, disconcerting steering characteristics when negotiating bends, that I observed with my Cosmic 5½ x 13 inch wheels of 4 x 95•25 mm PCD & 21 mm offset, fitted with 185/70 R13 tyres, because I strongly suspect that this will also occur with 175/70 R13 tyres.

https://palmside.co.nz/products/13-x-5-8-spoke-4-x95-25

I didn’t experience this problem with 175 R13 (i.e. 175/80 R13) tyres whose external diameter is about 5% larger, but this size of tyre is no longer readily available, in common with the 185 R13 (i.e. 185/80 R13) tyres that were the original factory-fitted size to the Triumph 2000 & 2500.

Given the quoted price for the Minilite style 5 x 13 inch wheels (i.e. NZ$181•73 each excluding GST | NZ$908•65 for five excluding GST), I cannot help thinking that you would probably have been better off both technically and financially, importing a set of second-hand Triumph Dolomite Sprint 5½ x 13 inch wheels; even considering the likely shipping costs from Great Britain.

Anti-Roll Bars

Noting that you have retro-fitted a front anti-roll bar, I was surprised to learn that you have not yet retro-fitted a rear anti-roll bar; two examples of which were recently listed on British Ebay as follows:

Triumph Dolomite 1300/1500 Toledo Anti Roll Bar Restoration Classic Car Part, Condition: Used, Price: £13.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383393729879 ... SwpI5eL2yO

Dolomite Sprint 1850 Rear Anti-Roll Bar Dolomite Toledo Upgrade, Condition: Used, Price: £15.00

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265179838474 ... SwzmxgtK91

Having both the front & rear anti-roll bars from a Triumph Dolomite 1850 or Sprint, is probably one of the most useful, cost-effective upgrades that can be made to the 1970~76 Triumph Toledo suspension. The beauty of the rear anti-roll bar, is that it can literally be fitted in just a few minutes using just four bolts, nuts & washers, and there are no rubber bushes involved, so no future expense in ever replacing such items.

Overdrive, Final-Drive Ratios & Tyre Sizes

On Monday, 18th March 2019 @ 2:06 am Alistair Cox wrote:

« Although the engine mounts look ok I’ll replace as them have probably gone hard and the overdrive onto the gearbox will have to wait for now as I have to get a gearbox mount as well (as far as the overdrive is concerned the great thing about it in hilly NZ is the high and low on 3rd - very useful on the hills). It worked very well on a manual stag - however that had a bit more power than the Toledo. »

In the following earlier post, when I proposed an alternative final drive ratio for use with an overdrive manual gearbox instead of the 3•89 of the Triumph Toledo 1500, I wrongly quoted the final-drive ratio of a suggested alternative final-drive unit from a 10 cwt Morris Marina Van, as being 4•11 (which is the same as that of the Triumph Toledo 1300). I should have written 4•55, which I have recently since corrected.

https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... 02#p321802

Further research on the Internet, indicates that 4•55 final-drive ratio from the 10 cwt Morris Marina Van is becoming rare, but is still relatively commonly available from the Morris Minor from which the Morris Marina was largely derived.

https://www.lainefamily.com/MorrisMinor ... Ratios.pdf

Morris Minor Owners > Mechanical, Technical & Restoration > Axle, Gearbox & Diff > Marina rear axle conversion???

https://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk/vie ... php?t=5194

Marlin Owners’ Club > Marina rear axle

https://www.marlinownersclub.com/forum/ ... =208&pp=10

Since my father bought our 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 in April/May 1975, it has never been fitted with factory-standard 155 SR13 (i.e. 155 R13 & S speed index in modern designation) radial-ply tyres, so I do not have measurements of the external circumference of such tyres when new or worn with a known tread-depth.

Standard-profile radial-ply tyres, such as the 155 R13 or 175 R13, are commonly thought of as being of 155/80 R13 or 175/80 R13 sizes (i.e. 80% aspect ratio), but a published university / tyre-industry engineering conference proceedings dating from circa 1983/84 that I read then, indicated that standard-profile radial-ply tyres typically had an aspect ratio of circa 82% or 83%.

Some participants in this forum, assert that 175/70 R13 tyres (as factory-fitted to the Triumph Dolomite Sprint) are closer in size to the 155 R13 tyres (as factory-fitted to the other Triumph Dolomites and Triumph Toledo 1300 & 1500) than the 185/70 R13 tyres that I later substituted for the “original” 175 R13 tyres which were already fitted to the Cosmic alloy wheels when my father bought the car in 1975.

This depends on whether the standard-profile 155 R13 tyres, have an aspect-ratio of 80%, 82%, 83% or some other value. If the aspect ratio is actually 80% then they are correct, but if it is actually 82% or 83% as stated in the 1983/84 conference proceedings, then I am correct! Does anyone have any actual physical measurements of the various tyre sizes?

As well as influencing the handling characteristics, tyre-size choice also has a significant effect on overall effective gearing ratio, which is typically quoted in MPH per 1000 engine-RPM.

Whilst on an Employment Service funded training course in 1994, I undertook a training exercise in the use of desktop computer spread-sheets with embedded formulae, which I used to tabulate the overall effective gearing ratios, for various combinations of Triumph Toledo/Dolomite gear-box (including overdrive) ratios, final-drive ratios and tyres of different section-widths & aspect-ratios, for 13 inch, 14 inch & 15 inch wheels.

Hence, if one can define what overall effective gearing ratios in MPH per 1000 engine-RPM are most appropriate to one’s vehicle, then it is relatively straightforward to choose final-drive ratio & tyre-size combinations to achieve this, with a given set of gear-box ratios; keeping in mind that the rolling external circumference of tyres, decreases by about 2% as the tread depth decreases, from circa 7~8 mm when new, to 1•6 mm when still barely legal.

185/65 R15 – 1952•4 mm circumference

185/60 R15 – 1894•3 mm circumference

185/55 R15 – 1836•2 mm circumference

The MGF or MGTF cars, appear to be equipped with a 14 inch space-saver steel wheel and 175/65 R14 tyre. I have vague memories of the economy-versions of 1980s vintage Austin-Rover Montegos, being equipped with 14 inch steel wheels and 185/65 R14 tyres.

185/65 R14 – 1872•7 mm circumference

175/65 R14 – 1831•8 mm circumference

185/60 R14 – 1814•5 mm circumference

175 R13 => 175/83 R13 – 1949•9 mm circumference (5•65% larger than 155/83 R13)
175 R13 => 175/82 R13 – 1939•0 mm circumference (5•62% larger than 155/82 R13)
175 R13 => 175/80 R13 – 1917•0 mm circumference (5•54% larger than 155/80 R13)

165 R13 => 165/83 R13 – 1897•8 mm circumference
165 R13 => 165/82 R13 – 1887•4 mm circumference
165 R13 => 165/80 R13 – 1866•7 mm circumference

185/70 R13 – 1851•0 mm circumference

155 R13 => 155/83 R13 – 1845•6 mm circumference
155 R13 => 155/82 R13 – 1835•9 mm circumference

155 R13 => 155/80 R13 – 1816•4 mm circumference

175/70 R13 – 1807•0 mm circumference

To within just a few millimetres, the 155/82 R13, 175/65 R14 and 185/55 R15 tyres, have the same external rolling circumferences of circa 1832 mm to 1836 mm.

To within just a few millimetres, the 175/70 R13 and 185/60 R14 tyres, have the same external rolling circumferences of circa 1807 mm to 1815 mm.

On the basis of these calculations, it appears that the external circumference of a 175/70 SR13 tyre, is slightly smaller than that of a 155/80 SR13 tyre (i.e. 155 SR13), whilst the external circumference of a 185/70 SR13 tyre, is slightly larger than that of a 155/83 SR13 tyre (i.e. 155 SR13). A 155/80 SR13 tyre is about 1•6% smaller than a 155/83 SR13 tyre, whilst a 175/70 SR13 tyre is about 2•4% smaller than a 185/70 SR13 tyre.

With hindsight, it might have been more practical to have visited the local tyre factors and simply measured the tyre external circumferences of various sizes of new tyres, using an extra-long tailor's tape measure!

At the moment, the principle choices for my 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300, are whether to use 4•11 or 3•89 final-drive ratios in combination with 185/65 R15, 185/60 R15 or 185/55 R13 tyres on 5½ x 15 inch MG 2000 Maestro cross-lattice style alloy wheels of 400 kg load rating, 4 x 95•25 mm PCD & 31 mm offset.

Nigel A. Skeet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:37 pm 

MiniLite Wheels

I recently found a British website listing the available Minilite wheel sizes & offsets, but although the Triumph Dolomite (and by implication the Toledo also) is mentioned, it does not state which wheel sizes are available in the 3¾ inch = 95•25 mm PCD.

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/classic-cars/

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/minilite/

Of the sizes listed, the following would be the most appropriate to a Triumph Dolomite or Toledo, assuming they are available with the 3¾ inch = 95•25 mm PCD.

Size (inches) | Offset (mm) | Backspace (mm) | *Price in GBP for 4 wheels

5 x 13″ | ET00 to ET30 | 76 to 102 mm | £550

5½ x 13″ | ET06 to ET30 | 89 to 113 mm | £570

5½ x 14″ | ET08 to ET33 | 91 to 116 mm | £620

6 x 14″ | ET08 to ET33 | 97 to 122 mm | £660

5½ x 15″ | ET00 to ET20 | 83 to 103 mm | £710

6 x 15″ | ET07 to ET26 | 96 to 117 mm | £730

The *Prices (includes centre caps & badges, but wheel-nuts or wheel-bolts are extra) updated in January 2021, includes shipping costs within the UK mainland.

Either the 5½ x 13 inch wheel with 30 mm offset or the 5½ x 14 inch wheel with 33 mm offset would be the most appropriate options in my opinion; giving one the preferred corresponding nominal tyre section-width choices of either 175 mm or 185 mm; both of which I have used on my Triumph Toledo.

Whether these wheel-sizes & offsets are available with the 3¾ inch = 95•25 mm PCD from Palmside in New Zealand, I have yet to determine.

https://palmside.co.nz/products/

If I didn’t already have the MG 2000 Maestro 5½ x 15 inch wheels with 31 mm offset, I would choose the MiniLite 5½ x 14 inch wheels with 33 mm offset. A 175/65 R14 or 185/60 R14 tyre will give a rolling circumference intermediate between those of the 175/70 R13 and 185/70 R13 tyres.

One can reasonably use a 185 mm section-width tyre on a 5 inch wide wheel rim or a 175 mm section-width tyre on a 6 inch wide wheel rim, but neither option is ideal, and using 6 inch wide wheels is likely to incur interference problems, especially with a 185 mm or larger section-width tyre.

155 R13 => 155/83 R13 – 1845•6 mm circumference
155 R13 => 155/82 R13 – 1835•9 mm circumference
155 R13 => 155/80 R13 – 1816•4 mm circumference

175/70 R13 – 1807•0 mm circumference

185/60 R14 – 1814•5 mm circumference

175/65 R14 – 1831•8 mm circumference

185/70 R13 – 1851•0 mm circumference

185/65 R14 – 1872•7 mm circumference

Although MiniLite produce 5½ x 15 inch & 6 x 15 inch wheels, with maximum offsets of 20 mm & 26 mm respectively, I strongly suspect that one might experience interference problems and/or unpredictable steering characteristics with either of these.

Some MGF and/or MGTF cars are factory-fitted with 6 x 15 inch MiniLite style 8-spoke wheels of what is believed to be 28 mm offset, but when fitted with the usual 185/55 R15 tyres (as used on these cars’ front wheels) this wheel & tyre combination have been said to experience interference problems inside some Triumph Dolomite rear-wheel arches.

Range of Tyre Sizes on Given Wheel Sizes

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre- ... calculator

NOTE: Although this website might not list tyres of certain section-widths and/or aspect ratios, this does not mean that they are unavailable in all territories, including Great Britain.

Wheel: 13 x 4½ > Tyres: min – ? mm | ideal – ? mm or ? mm | max – ? mm

There is nothing listed on this website for 13 x 4½ inch wheel

Wheel: 13 x 5 > Tyres: min – 165 mm | ideal – 165 mm or 175 mm | max – 185 mm

Wheel: 13 x 5 > 50 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal – 175/50 R13 | max – none listed
Wheel: 13 x 5 > 55 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 165/55 R13 or 175/55 R13 | max 185/55 R13
Wheel: 13 x 5 > 60 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 165/60 R13 or 175/60 R13 | max 185/60 R13
Wheel: 13 x 5 > 65 Tyres: min 165/65 R13 | ideal 165/65 R13 or 175/65 R13 | max 185/65 R13
Wheel: 13 x 5 > 70 Tyres: min 165/70 R13 | ideal 165/70 R13 or 175/70 R13 | max 185/70 R13
Wheel: 13 x 5 > 75 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 165/75 R13 | max – none listed
Wheel: 13 x 5 > 80 Tyres: min 165/80 R13 | ideal 165/80 R13 or 175/80 R13 | max 185/80 R13

Wheel: 13 x 5½ > Tyres: min – 165 mm | ideal – 175 mm or 185 mm | max – 195 mm

Wheel: 13 x 5½ > 45 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal – none listed | max 195/45 R13
Wheel: 13 x 5½ > 50 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 175/50 R13 | max – none listed
Wheel: 13 x 5½ > 55 Tyres: min 165/55 R13 | ideal 175/55 R13 or 185/55 R13 | max 195/55 R13
Wheel: 13 x 5½ > 60 Tyres: min 165/60 R13 | ideal 175/60 R13 or 185/60 R13 | max 195/60 R13
Wheel: 13 x 5½ > 65 Tyres: min 165/65 R13 | ideal 175/65 R13 or 185/65 R13 | max – none listed
Wheel: 13 x 5½ > 70 Tyres: min 165/70 R13 | ideal 175/70 R13 or 185/70 R13 | max 195/70 R13
Wheel: 13 x 5½ > 75 Tyres: min 165/75 R13 | ideal – none listed | max – none listed
Wheel: 13 x 5½ > 80 Tyres: min 165/80 R13 | ideal 175/80 R13 or 185/80 R13 | max – none listed

The 175/70 R13 or 185/70 R13 are two tyre size options that may reasonably be used on both front & rear 5½ x 13 inch Triumph Dolomite Sprint wheels (35 mm offset I have confirmed) when used on a Triumph Toledo or other Triumph Dolomite models.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Wheel: 14 x 5½ > Tyres: 165 mm min | 175 mm or 185 mm ideal | 195 mm max

Wheel: 14 x 5½ > 40 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal – none listed | max 195/40 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5½ > 45 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal – none listed | max 195/45 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5½ > 50 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 175/50 R14 or 185/50 R14 | max – none listed
Wheel: 14 x 5½ > 55 Tyres: min 165/55 R14 | ideal 185/55 R14 | max 195/55 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5½ > 60 Tyres: min 165/60 R14 | ideal 175/60 R14 or 185/60 R14 | max 195/60 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5½ > 65 Tyres: min 165/65 R14 | ideal 175/65 R14 or 185/65 R14 | max 195/65 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5½ > 70 Tyres: min 165/70 R14 | ideal 175/70 R14 or 185/70 R14 | max 195/70 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5½ > 75 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 175/75 R14 or 185/75 R14 | max 195/75 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5½ > 80 Tyres: min 165/80 R14 | ideal 175/80 R14 or 185/80 R13 | max – none listed

Wheel: 14 x 6 > Tyres: min – 175 mm | ideal – 185 mm or 195 mm | max – 205 mm

Wheel: 14 x 5 > 40 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 195/40 R14 | max – 205/40 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5 > 45 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 195/45 R14 | max – 205/45 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5 > 50 Tyres: min 175/50 R14 | ideal 185/50 R14 | max 205/50 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5 > 55 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 185/55 R14 or 195/55 R14 | max 205/55 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5 > 60 Tyres: min 175/60 R14 | ideal 185/60 R14 or 195/60 R14 | max 205/60 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5 > 65 Tyres: min 175/65 R14 | ideal 185/65 R14 or 195/65 R14 | max 205/65 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5 > 70 Tyres: min 175/70 R14 | ideal 185/70 R14 or 195/70 R14 | max 205/70 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5 > 75 Tyres: min 175/75 R14 | ideal 185/75 R14 or 195/75R14 | max 205/75 R14
Wheel: 14 x 5 > 80 Tyres: min 175/80 R14 | ideal 185/80 R14 | max – none listed

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Wheel: 15 x 5½ > Tyres: min – 165 mm | ideal – 175 mm or 185 mm | max – 195 mm

This wheel size is used on the MG 2000 Maestro

Wheel: 15 x 5½ > 45 Tyres: min 165/45 R15 | ideal 185/45 R15 | max 195/45 R15
Wheel: 15 x 5½ > 50 Tyres: min 165/50 R15 | ideal 175/50 R15 | max 195/50 R15
Wheel: 15 x 5½ > 55 Tyres: min 165/55 R15 | ideal 175/55 or 185/55 R15 | max 195/55 R15
Wheel: 15 x 5½ > 60 Tyres: min 165/60 R15 | ideal 175/60 R15 or 185/60 R15 | max 195/60 R15
Wheel: 15 x 5½ > 65 Tyres: min 165/65 R15 | ideal 175/65 R15 or 185/65 R15 | max 195/65 R15
Wheel: 15 x 5½ > 70 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 175/70 R15 or 185/70 R15 | max 195/70 R15
Wheel: 15 x 5½ > 75 Tyres: min – none listed | ideal 175/75 R15 | max – not listed
Wheel: 15 x 5½ > 80 Tyres: min 165/80 R15 | ideal 185/80 R15 | max 195/80 R15

The 185/55 R15 is the tyre size used on both the front & rear 5½ x 15 inch wheels (31 mm offset I have confirmed) of the MG Maestro 2000 EFI cars.

Wheel: 15 x 6 > Tyres: min – 175 mm | ideal – 185 mm or 195 mm | max – 205 mm

This wheel size is used on the MG Montego, MG Montego Turbo & MG Maestro Turbo and the MGF & MGTF.

Wheel: 15 x 6 > 45 Tyres: min 175/45 R15 | ideal 185/45 R15 or 195/45 R15 | max 205/45 R15
Wheel: 15 x 6 > 50 Tyres: min 175/50 R15 | ideal 195/50 R15 | max 205/50 R15
Wheel: 15 x 6 > 55 Tyres: min 175/55 R15 | ideal 185/55 R15 or 195/55 R15 | max 205/55 R15
Wheel: 15 x 6 > 60 Tyres: min 175/60 R15 | ideal 185/60 R15 or 195/60 R15 | max 205/60 R15
Wheel: 15 x 6 > 65 Tyres: min 175/65 R15 | ideal 185/65 R15 or 195/65 R15 | max 205/65 R15
Wheel: 15 x 6 > 70 Tyres: min 175/70 R15 | ideal 185/70 R15 or 195/70 R15 | max 205/70 R15
Wheel: 15 x 6 > 75 Tyres: min 175/75 R15 | ideal 185/75 R15 or 195/75 R15 | max 205/75 R15

The 185/55 R15 & 205/50 R15 are the tyre sizes used on the front & rear 6 x 15 inch wheels (28 mm offset I believe!?!) respectively, of the MGF and MGTF cars.

The 195/50 R15 is the tyre size used on both the front & rear MGF 6 x 15 inch wheels (28 mm offset I believe!?!), that are fitted to Steve Boitoult’s two-door, Triumph Toledo racing car [named “Carledo”], with transplanted Vauxhall-Carlton engine. However, this required modification of the rear wheel arches to avoid tyre to wheel-arch interference problems.

The 195/65 R15 is the tyre size used on both the front & rear 6 x 15 inch wheels (28 mm offset I have confirmed) of the MG Montego, MG Montego Turbo and MG Maestro Turbo cars.

Nigel A. Skeet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:20 pm 

I did a search of Palmside’s on-line wheel catalogue, for wheels of any style with a 95•25 mm = 3¾ inches PCD. The results indicated that there are no wheels available in the 14 inch diameter, and there were extremely few available options in either13 inches or 15 inches diameter, most of which were completely unsuitable owing to width and/or offset.

https://palmside.co.nz/products/

https://palmside.co.nz/collections/whee ... rn_4x95-25

https://palmside.co.nz/collections/whee ... ke-4x95-25

Size: 13 x 5 PCD 4 Rim depth 21 Offset ET20 with caps and nuts in Silver for Triumph.

https://palmside.co.nz/collections/whee ... ke-4x95-25

Revolution 8 spoke Classic 13x6 - 4x95.25 Triumph et16 - cb67 with Caps (67 mm centre-bore? If so, then not appropriate to Triumph Toledo & Dolomite)

https://palmside.co.nz/collections/whee ... 95-25-et22

8 spoke classic 15x6 to suit 4x95.25 et22 fitment for some Lotus Elise & Elan, Triumph, TR2, 3, 3A, 4, 5, TR250, 6, 7 & 8, Dolomite, GT6, MGF, Montego, Caterham Seven.

The 6 x 15 inch wheel with 22 mm offset, is even less well suited to the Triumph Toledo & Dolomite, than any of the MG Montego, MGF or MGTF factory-fitted 6 x 15 inch wheels with 28 mm offset!

The 6 x 13 inch wheel with 16 mm offset would be even worse!

The 5 x 13 inch, 8-spoke MiniLite style wheels with 95.25 mm PCD & 20 mm offset that you sourced from Palmside are their least unsuitable wheel option for your Triumph Toledo, so I hope the prove to be okay.

Nigel A. Skeet

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next