The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 145 46 47 48 4955 Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:46 pm 
TDC Member

Well, I sourced some celly from the same place I got the rattle cans, and it's a much better match... although more expensive, I guess you get what you pay for!

Also, very happy to announce that Binny has just completed her second CT "Border Raiders" - a run from Lancashire to Carlisle, into Scotland and back to York over 2 days - not a massive distance, but some very challenging climbs! (I guess about 350 miles?)
With 4 adults and luggage she did a fantastic job and never missed a beat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:02 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Good stuff Sam, i heard you had made it to the finish :D :D My spy's were out. :lol:

Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:08 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Good stuff Sam, i heard you had made it to the finish :D :D My spy's were out. :lol:

Tony.
It's not race. But i think there were 2 cars back ahead of us. The "peloton" arrived about 15 to 20 minutes after us.
Day 2 was a lot easier than day 1, a couple of challenging climbs, but the second part of day 1 felt a bit relentless (Cumbrian coast/lakes)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:43 pm 

I realise it's not a race Sam, but still an achievement with four people in an auto dolly as like you say the climbs were a bit steep :wink: I just wish i was fit enough to join in with these long runs :(

Tony.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:19 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
I realise it's not a race Sam, but still an achievement with four people in an auto dolly as like you say the climbs were a bit steep :wink: I just wish i was fit enough to join in with these long runs :(

Tony.
Sorry Tony, I wasn't implying that you'd suggested it was a race... I just tend to prefix anything I say with "It's not a race" ... important to cover the club and the organisers!

It's a real shame you are not physically up to it... it's a great event. I was talking to a guy called Malcolm on the run... it's the furthest he's driven his GT6 since the late 1980s!

Obviously there are faster cars on the run, but even 4-up the 1850 does a great job of keeping the pace up. Especially once you've learnt to use the throttle to get the autobox doing what you want.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:51 pm 

I was out in my auto on Saturday and they do go really well as you say. It's great when you surprise people when you pass them :wink:

Tony.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:11 pm 
TDC Member

Fscking car!
It lost no oil on the Border Raiders (well a tiny bit, but not worth commenting on) and then today wen I park up in the drive when I get home from work... 2 small puddles of fresh oil under the car when I move it!
50dding thing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:41 pm 
TDC Member

Here we are (with a couple of other Triumphs) at the start of the "Border Raiders"

The oil leak turned out to be the transfer/cover plate next to the oil pump. The replacement o-ring I'd been supplied and fitted a while ago isn't really much thicker than the recess in the plate is deep. Thicker o-ring sorted it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:21 pm 

A sigh of relief then Sam, glad it was nice and easy 8)

Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:32 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
A sigh of relief then Sam, glad it was nice and easy 8)

Tony.
Absolutely Tony, just annoyed that the new replacement o-ring that I previously fitted wasn't really suitable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:12 pm 
TDC Member

A lot of my recent time has been spent on Spitfire related stuff. Binny continues to do great service as my daily driver.
As the weather has changed I've noticed she takes ages to warm up and will dip below normal on the temp gauge if you are going down hill or taking it steady at a decent road speed (say 40 to 50 mph)
My temporary bodge fix or work has been to shove a sheet of cardboard in front of the rad covering about half the rad surface. That seems to have helped a lot. But it does make me think that the stat must be starting to open way too low. So I'm on the hunt for a higher temp stat of the same dimensions as the original.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:53 am 
TDC Member

I used the exact same method for my 1850 back in 82/83, travelling around Lossiemouth in the winter. Had to stop on longer runs and remove it though!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:55 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I used the exact same method for my 1850 back in 82/83, travelling around Lossiemouth in the winter. Had to stop on longer runs and remove it though!
I went over the tops to Colne the other night, absolutely thrashed it on the wide open up hill and the temp barely went above normal.
Nice problem to have I guess with an old Triumph!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:13 pm 
TDC Member

Last night I fitted a Stant NOS stat rated at 90deg C (spec'd for a Saab I think) and removed the cardboard from in front of the rad.
Today on the run to work the temp came up to normal faster than previously and was nice and stable at the mid point on the gauge regardless of load/speed/etc.
I just need to wait and see now what it behaves like once the ambient temp starts to rise.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:42 pm 
TDC Member

Binny has been hibernating since a couple of weeks before lockdown when I started WFH/isolating.
Over that time I've touched up the paint work on the rear panels and fitted the tow-bar. Everything seems to have taken 10 or 20 times longer than I thought (mind you I've fitted a new engine to the Spitfire over the same period as well)

Out in the sunshine today and running (just needed a quick battery charge)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 145 46 47 48 4955 Next