The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:53 pm 
TDC Member

Hello all, just wanted to say Hi and having read many of the posts im a little daunted as everyone has so much knowledge, much of which i will take advantage of over the years!
I've got the opportunity to save my late grandfather (in laws) Dolomite, i think its a 1975 1850HL Auto in a rather tired burgundy/ox blood red. Think i remember him telling me it has overdrive?
Sadly he passed away earlier this year at the grand age of 101, he was in the RAF and flew bombers during WW2, he loved his Dolomite and i remember him tinkering on it many times along with sending my wife and i to random places to pick up spares, it was his pride and joy and his weekend ride (had a Focus daily driver)
It came as a bit of a shock when i saw the photos recently, it was garaged however i think in the last few years with failing health and eyesight he may have misjudged a few things, the front n/s wing is crumpled, rear o/s door skin bashed and nasty dent in rear where it looks like he has reversed into a post, damage to bumper, boot, boot lid and rear pane, might be underneath as well. I don't think realistically it has run for at least 5 + years, maybe more.
Im going down to see it towards the end on the month and having sold my 1982 VW T25 camper this year for a caravan i need something to tinker with, seems a shame to let such an iconic car die so i want to keep it in the family.
Am i thinking too romantically? As long as its not a rust bucket im pretty sure it could be saved, i know its difficult to comment without pics but thought i would share my plans and say Hi.
Im based in Hatfield, Hertfordshire and the car is down in Sussex but will update you once ive poked about. If anyone knows it let me know and i will be looking for a club in my area.
Cheers :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:33 pm 
TDC Member

Hi welcome,hopefully the car can be saved,dosent ound that bad,post some pictures when you can

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:17 pm 
TDC Member

Hi,

Hopefully followed the forum instructions and this has worked :lol:

No idea of the state of rust yet but dont think it will be too bad as its been garaged over the years, as i say engine last ran about 5 - 7 years ago from memory but could be wrong (wont be the first time!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:21 pm 
TDC Member

In fact now i look back at the pictures she looks better than i remember - viewing on Saturday and will have a look at the sills, floor pans etc along with the tips the forum has provided about boot floor and water trap behind the headlights?

Definitely worth keeping in the family and getting back on the road if we can!

Thanks

Ian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:35 am 
TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser

Hello Ian,

Nice to see the pictures of the car and from what we can see it looks solid and very original - well worth keeping and restoring - especially when it has been in your family for so long.

Shame about the creases in the wing and door, but I'm sure the wing could be repaired if it is still solid. The door may be easier to replace if you can find a good replacement.

1850 automatics are quite highly regarded also.

Keep us all posted and good luck with the project!

MC

TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser.
TDC/TSSC group meeting - 3rd Tuesday of the month
The Duke at Clifton - OX15 0PE

1980 1500HL - OPD
1976 Sprint - SWU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:41 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks Matt, i feel much more positive after your post.

Im going to arrange to pick up from Worthing in next few weeks and transport to her new home in Herts, im looking at hiring a car trailer from GT Towing, Herts unless anyone in the club knows of one i can borrow/hire, obviously will pay my way!

Thanks

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:43 pm 
TDC Member

By way of quick update, car successfully moved from Worthing to its new home in Hatfield, Herts one cold weekend in Dec. The kids have renamed it 'Max' in memory of their great grandfather who owned the car before us. Lots of paperwork detailing history including dealership receipt, looks like Max purchased in 79/80 after previous owner passed away.

Trailer only cost me £86 from GT towing for whole weekend which i thought was very reasonable. Now the work begins, first job see if she runs !!

Hope everyone enjoyed Christmas and have a great new year, fingers crossed 2021 is better :lol: :lol: