The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 10 Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:50 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Fair bit of work but all "doable". I would have a good look at the front and back edges of your " at least it opens" sunroof. I recently recovered/rebuild mine and the front and back plates were pretty badly rusted:

Ended up remaking the metalwork as well as recovering it.

Roger
I can almost guarentee mine aren't in much better shape! They give a very defined crunch when pushing those end plates. The vinyl has split on them and have been letting in water for a while. :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:32 pm 

Cracked on with a few minor jobs. Door removal first. Wish I could have done this when I worked on it last.

Six bolts came out easy enough

This had been "repaired" before. I knew it was there but foolishly thought it was welded. Not sure why, because welds don't look lumpy. Anyway I poked.

Next up was removing the steering column. This bolt is a right bugger to get at and remove.

Once that's out, undo the column height adjuster and remove the pin that holds the bolt in. Then lift the whole column out.

Then next up was the dash out.

First job was to remove the clocks. Easy enough. Then couple of bolts and screws to remove the whole dash section.

With that out, you can see where I was at last time when I had to pause. No better than it was but no worse. Big difference this time is ok going to cut out the windscreen. That way I can cut out the riveted plates and sort all this properly.

Bit more disassembly and then I can get on with putting fresh metal in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:48 pm 

Suffering from either being rundown/exhausted or a low lying cold, I didn't have much energy last week to do anything.

Yesterday evening I got a chance to cut off most of the windscreen rubber seal. Quite a satisfying job, especially as I know it leaked badly. There is just enough left on to keep it in until I can get my lovely assistant to give me a hand taking the screen out.

I also started drilling the rivets out of this superb previous repair.

Got half way through that and decided it probably should wait until I've got the screen off before I pulled those plates completely off!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:41 pm 

Filler sucks.

Found the repair panel join though. Hopefully I can cut this off so a new piece can be fabricated from this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:37 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Filler sucks.

Found the repair panel join though. Hopefully I can cut this off so a new piece can be fabricated from this.
Yep, I'm with you there, I hate filler!

That wheelarch repair looks pretty standard to me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:50 pm 

Quote:
Yep, I'm with you there, I hate filler!

That wheelarch repair looks pretty standard to me

At least whoever did that on yours ran a bead all the way along! However it does make mine easier to get off. No bad thing considering its the old metal underneath and I dread to think what thats like.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:47 pm 

A few more horror pictures.

Cleaned out the lumps of filler from the pillar to see exactly what was going on. The plan is to cut out minimal amounts to get underneath but not compromise the strength of the structure.

This isn't too bad. Plan is to square off the edge and weld a replacement section in.

The rest of the sill actually is alright. I'll probably run a bead along that edge to be sure.

This upper part of the A-Pillar is a patch welded on. I ripped this off with screwdriver, so the welds weren't up to the job.

Passenger rear door is a holed mess

Filler is all in the holes, so someone didn't fix this and just lobbed filler over the top before paint.

It's crusty on the inside too. Probably possible to fix this door, but wondering if I'd be better off trying to find a replacement.

It's not as if this car hasn't had a replacement door already elsewhere! This is also filled with wax and probably why it's in good condition.

Finally I got on with the windscreen/bonnet area. This bit is going to have a new section put in where I've cut out the worst.

Passenger side isn't as bad and I'm hoping I can fill this up by bridging the holes with the MIG torch.

I was hoping to start welding today but the filler made such a mess, I ended up spending a few hours hoovering. Will be a big moment when fresh metal starts going on this again. Nearly a year since the last lot went in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:02 am 
TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser

Passenger side isn't as bad and I'm hoping I can fill this up by bridging the holes with the MIG torch.

Great update SiC and pictures.

I managed to bridge quite a few smaller holes on SWU using a bit of copper plate behind the hole and just taking the time to fill around the hole with the MIG welder.. worked well.

Plenty to keep you busy. It will be interesting to see the condition of the metal behind the previous wheelarch repair section. I can't imagine it warranted the whole repair panel when it was repaired. It is amazing what filler can hide though.

Best wishes
MC

TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser.
TDC/TSSC group meeting - 3rd Tuesday of the month
The Duke at Clifton - OX15 0PE

1980 1500HL - OPD
1976 Sprint - SWU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:08 pm 

Right! This hole

Cut a template to match and transfer onto fresh steel

Line it up sorter in the right place

Pulled out my old friend Mrs GYS MultiPearl Something Something Synergic MIG welder

Lay my first set of welds in well over a year. Looks s##t naturally.

Got reasonable penetration. Always good when that happens 😁
Also realised I should have cut this off rather than trying to bend it after.

Weld the bottom. Looks even crapper. Forgot to take a picture of that, but have another of the backside. I probably should have welded it this side really. Easier to grind the welds and less messy the other side.

Put my mate Mr Angry Grinder into action. Messy and noisy but certainly neatened up a job.

Didn't quite finish that tonight as I hit my new (wife imposed) 10pm curfew. Gives me a chance to fire watch and write these updates at least.

Last edited by SiC on Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:38 pm 

Quote:
Great update SiC and pictures.

I managed to bridge quite a few smaller holes on SWU using a bit of copper plate behind the hole and just taking the time to fill around the hole with the MIG welder.. worked well.

Plenty to keep you busy. It will be interesting to see the condition of the metal behind the previous wheelarch repair section. I can't imagine it warranted the whole repair panel when it was repaired. It is amazing what filler can hide though.

Best wishes
MC
Thanks! I have to remember to take pictures as I go and sometimes do forget. I probably should also make a few youtube videos detailing the progress as that seems the all rage these days.

I'm really interested to see whats going on behind the back of that panel too! Looking in the boot, I can see the tack weld pentration marks but not the panel. So I suspect there might be a lot of good metal behind there! Hopefully not pitted terribly from dirt and moisture getting up there over time though. I'm resisting cutting it off just yet as I only want to tackle bits as I come to them. I am the type that ends up with hundreds of projects but none ever finished!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:13 am 

I've been debating whether this is the right thing to do. The hole section under the windscreen area has thick steel at the top but then thin at the bottom where water has pooled. I didn't want to cut out the bad bit as it was mostly good metal. As it was an area of flex, I wanted to double skin it.

Essentially I have welded a piece of metal to the back side.

Then welded on the other side too.

I don't want to call it a patch repair but it kinda is. Biggest difference is that I'm welding on both sides, unlike a normal patch. I have debated whether to just cut the area out and have a single piece of metal all the way along. But in my mind, a piece along the back and welded on the front should be stronger.

Also made up a few pieces to box in this area once I'm done. I'll need to make a few holes in these so I can get the wax injector pipe in.

Also did the old trick of welding up a few of the holes on the A-Pillar. Usually takes a couple of goes of welding it up, grinding back down and welding up any holes that appear or thinness.

Ends up looking alright

This one was a tiny 2mm-ish sized hole, so nice and easy to fill up. The bigger hole to the right is going to need a bit more than that though!

So I slowly plod on with this. Main priority is to get all the metal work done first, then go from there. Depending how long that takes, I may put it back in storage after doing that - basically if I'm fed up of working on it and need a break. Also the cost of paint is pretty prohibitively expensive. But then still have a whole lot of mechanical work still to do too.

I've also recently bought this and I am really champing at the bit to start work on this too. Quite interested to seeing how they compare back to back as well! Similar BHP but the E28 weights another 200kg more.

It should be less metalwork and more mechanical type of project hopefully. So very much a welcome break from that and one project that should be satisfyingly quick to get on the road again.

Last edited by SiC on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:18 pm 
TDC Member

Just caught up with this. You're doing a great job dealing with all the same grot spots my car has.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:34 am 

I took a few days off work to try getting on with this. Exhaustion and burn-out has meant a lot of that time has been spent resting. Anyhow any progress is better than none, so I got on with at least boxing in the windscreen area.

That's the only picture I have of the boxing in so far. I've cut other pieces ready and hopefully I'll get a chance soon to put them in too.

In the meantime I couldn't resist peaking to see what was going on behind that rear wheel arch panel. Been wanting to do it for ages but held off as I didn't want it to be too bad and be demoralising. But I need to start thinking on what parts needed to be ordered, so I need to remove it and asses the situation. My outlook is nervously optimistic I think is the correct phrase.

I mean it looks really bad from the outside.

However looking through the boot area looked more promising that there was a lot of good metal there.

So there was nothing more to do apart from removing it. I carefully went along with a thin cutting disc grinding off the tack welds. Then further abusing my wood chisel to pop the last bits off.

I was left with this.

Well that looks not too bad! Almost looks like the same with the panel on. Given how good it is under here, it seems a waste of a rare repair panel to have had welded one over the top of this.

But the question is how much of that is filler/paint and how much metal. So out with the wire wheel to leave this...

Plenty there left to work with!

I then used the finger sander to carefully remove the remains of the tack welds. Unfortunately there are indents from the cutting disc but this is one of those few times that I'm happy to use filler to resolve these imperfections!

The wheelarch area inside didn't look too bad initially

But after attacking with a grinder, I found a plate welded on badly. The welds were weak enough with little penetration to pull off by hand

That bit is a mess and will require a bit of work to fix up. At least it's simple flat shapes and not something that is readily visible.

For the repairing the main arch I would like a repair panel. However they appear to be hens teeth. I did manage to snag a nearside panel (thanks Captain70s for the heads up!) but the offside had already sold before I got a chance to buy that too.

However the damage doesn't look much more than what can be fixed up with the club repair panels. With this arch lip repair piece

And this rear wing repair panel. The rear wing might have enough left to be simple enough to fix with just some bent flat steel.

So all in, I'm quite happy with that rear arch. Could have be so much worse. Inner arch is pretty much all there too, with a few thin areas on the edge and another repair patch at the base of the arch. That repair patch seems done a longer while back and still seems very solid.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:35 pm 
TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser

Good result that on the arch SiC! Amazing what a good dollop of filler can hide. I guess at the time it was fitted it was quicker and cheaper to tack the repair panel on rather than repair the original.

All the best for the repairs. It will be a nice solid car.

MC

TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser.
TDC/TSSC group meeting - 3rd Tuesday of the month
The Duke at Clifton - OX15 0PE

1980 1500HL - OPD
1976 Sprint - SWU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:28 pm 

Nearly done the windscreen area

Just this little bit left

This is just yesterday evenings worth of grinding dust

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 10 Next