The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:03 pm 
TDC Member

Hi All

The Subject are not connected "except" that I am after some views on them both pls.... :D :D

Firstly I am trying to establish if the connectors for the lights, see pic, are available to buy anywhere... Anyone know please? I need to clean mine up but wanted to understand if they are available should I need any..??

Second, anyone have any experiences or suggestions of where to get a carpet set for the Sprint.. Considering a new set but want something decent and not cheap and poor quality.. So any experiences or recommendations please..??

Thanks in advance

James

Attachments:
20210107_105956 Resize.jpg
20210107_105956 Resize.jpg [ 33.03 KiB | Viewed 617 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:33 pm 
TDC Member

The connectors are available from Autosparks Ltd. www.autosparks.co.uk Part C823 3Way 3mm Pin and Socket Connector @£11.08 each

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:00 pm 
TDC Member

Hi - Richard beat me to it; but the Autosparks option is pretty expensive.

I can pass on some advice I got from Jeroen (he did a great job of building me a headlight loom recently) around removing wires and cleaning them up, its pretty easy and a lot less expensive than dropping £11 on each one.

Basically, if you use a metal terminal to push onto the contacts you can pull the wires out easily and intact from behind, and then it is just a simple case of cleaning up the plastic of the terminals and plugging them wires back in, again from behind

You can also buy terminal removal tools online, but actually I found using a terminal itself to be much easier.

Ian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:41 pm 
TDC Member

i bought the 4 way version to use on my headlights,but had trouble with them,the female end didnt lock the pins in position,after getting them replaced twice, went over to the modern water proof type

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:59 pm 
TDC Member

I had trouble getting one of the 3-way body mating halves new, and got some used ones from Steve at S&S preparations 01706 874874 - there're everywhere on the TR7s and he has a few spares.

If you're rewiring with new pins, there's no issues I know of in using used bodies, and if you want a few, it could be cost effective if you can bargain.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)
B&Y 73 Dolomite Sprint UVB 274M (kids!)
1970 Maroon 13/60 Herald Convertable (wife's fun car).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:29 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I had trouble getting one of the 3-way body mating halves new, and got some used ones from Steve at S&S preparations 01706 874874 - there're everywhere on the TR7s and he has a few spares.

If you're rewiring with new pins, there's no issues I know of in using used bodies, and if you want a few, it could be cost effective if you can bargain.

Graham
Mine were new,i wonder if theyve had a bad batch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:05 pm 
TDC Member

I used some new ones as pairs, and had no problems. But I don't think I used any 4-way ones though.

Is is possible the holes in the bodies are too big. That could be a manufacturing problem.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:14 pm 
TDC Member

I did not have a problem when I fitted relays in the headlight circuits of my four dolomites as detailed in Dolly Mixture but that might have been a different batch.

I must have a go using a terminal to extract the pin may thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:00 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

When physically undamaged you can easily re use the old plastic housings as I mainly do. Some insist new and they can have new and at some cars there is no alternative than to re use. New wires with new terminals crimped on pushed in the old plastic housings.

The one in the picture is a different type than the more popular rounded versions like the ones on the autosparks website. These in the picture use also different terminal thans the autosparks ones. These will fit but the locking tab is on a different location making the terminal too deep into the housing barely touching eachother.

To remove the female terminal the DIY can use a std round female 4,5mm terminal that goes tight around bending the tabs back. For removing the male terminals you can use an old female you just took out.

Jeroen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:07 pm 

My attitude, when they go wrong, is to bin them and replace them with more modern ones. Once the corrosion gets into the electrics too deep, it difficult to clean the terminals enough to get them working reliably.

OK I get it if you want originality but my view on this is, who cares what style of electrical connectors are fitted. As long as they work.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:59 am 
TDC Member

Hi James
I have almost finished the restoration of a Sprint. Before refitting the wiring loom I bead blasted all the terminals, and spliced in fresh wire where it had hardened. However the plastic bodies of the connectors under the bonnet were to brittle and needed replacing. No supplier seemed to have stock of the original Rist's type. I found suitable alternatives at a reasonable price from:- https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/category/1 or simply search AES.

Your enquiry with respect to carpet. A search on this forum lead me to order a set from Coverdale. Their middle quality is a very good quality carpet with a flexible backing that forms well into the contours of the floor. However I was very disappointed with the fit. It seams they had a variety of patterns for the Dolomite and FWD range, all supplied by various customers. I sent photographs showing the issues and comparing their carpet with the originals. The response was excellent. They would arrange collection of both their carpet and the original and use the original to develop a pattern. In the event I decided a few days in the Pennines would be a welcome change and delivered the carpeting to them. I discussed the issues with their cutter and collected a newly made set a few days latter. All at no extra cost.

Their rear section was originally a single piece and as a flat carpet it did not follow the contours and remained baggy in places. A better fit is achieved with a separate tunnel section and 2 sides. The gearbox section, front footwells and cill sections were also modified to achieve a much better fit. Without lockdown I may have asked for 2 small adjustments but none the less I am now very pleased with the final fit and finish. The service was excellent.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:46 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:

....... I sent photographs showing the issues and comparing their carpet with the originals. The response was excellent. They would arrange collection of both their carpet and the original and use the original to develop a pattern. In the event I decided a few days in the Pennines would be a welcome change and delivered the carpeting to them. I discussed the issues with their cutter and collected a newly made set a few days latter. All at no extra cost.

Their rear section was originally a single piece and as a flat carpet it did not follow the contours and remained baggy in places. A better fit is achieved with a separate tunnel section and 2 sides. The gearbox section, front footwells and cill sections were also modified to achieve a much better fit. Without lockdown I may have asked for 2 small adjustments but none the less I am now very pleased with the final fit and finish. The service was excellent.

Bob
Well done Bob for working with the supplier in order to improve their product. Lets hope your actions have done a hugh favour to anyone here that buys from them in the future. Once more, well done!

Keith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:57 pm 
TDC Member

Connector looks similar to Lucas rists and molex but not the same as either.
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ ... category/7

Hmmm, sounds like Mr. Jeroen is the man in the know about these though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:23 am 
TDC Member

Why do you say those pictured aren't the Lucas RISTS 3mm pin connectors? I got to find the box with the spare ones in to be sure, but they look like what I remember.

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:21 pm 

Quote:
Connector looks similar to Lucas rists and molex but not the same as either.
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ ... category/7
These are both Lucas connectors, the one in the pic of the original post and the more common rounded ones found in most of the Dolomites. These connectors have both different type pin terminals that only fit in their own type housing aldough both are 3mm.The two types found on the dolomites also don't mate with eachother. The housings have a different shape.

There are more types of Rists connectors having their own terminals. The '80s ones look very similar but the housings have a second lock and so very different terminals.

The Molex ones are totally different.

Jeroen