The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Bolt sizes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:59 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Quote:
Ouch, assuming priced each.
Canleys list them, £18 for a pack of 100, or 30p each. However, worth checking they are the larger spanner size.

saying all that, the curent 5/8 spanner size nuts are fine everywhere I have used them (yes, I bought a big bag of all teh usual sizes years ago, almost out of 5/16 now, plenty of the bigger sizes though)

At 30pence each they will be the smaller sized.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:02 pm 
TDC Member

Just as an update and FYI in respect of the 11/16 spanner sized nyloc's (YN2910)

Called Canley to confirm spanner size of this nut before ordering, which they duly confirmed it was the right one.. Excellent, so I ordered. They duly arrived and guess what they were wrong..

So I called to enquire as to why I had received the wrong size....... I simply got told "do I not have a 5/8's spanner that I can use with them", to which I replied "I do have a 5/8's spanner, but you don't have the correct 11/16's nuts that you said you had"... At that moment I was very unimpressed with their attitude, and needless to say they don't have them.... . Having calmed down I find it amusing now but it was not very customer focused. Needless to say I wont be using them again for anything..

Also tried Arun Fasteners and spoke to them about there offering.... They also confirmed that the Nyloc is not an 11/16 nut.

Just thought I would share...

So that leaves Chris Witor......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:51 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Just as an update and FYI in respect of the 11/16 spanner sized nyloc's (YN2910)

Called Canley to confirm spanner size of this nut before ordering, which they duly confirmed it was the right one.. Excellent, so I ordered. They duly arrived and guess what they were wrong..

So I called to enquire as to why I had received the wrong size....... I simply got told "do I not have a 5/8's spanner that I can use with them", to which I replied "I do have a 5/8's spanner, but you don't have the correct 11/16's nuts that you said you had"... At that moment I was very unimpressed with their attitude, and needless to say they don't have them.... . Having calmed down I find it amusing now but it was not very customer focused. Needless to say I wont be using them again for anything..

Also tried Arun Fasteners and spoke to them about there offering.... They also confirmed that the Nyloc is not an 11/16 nut.

Just thought I would share...

So that leaves Chris Witor......

Arun do several 7/16" nylocs. This one:

UNF.NIN.7/16.Z.AF 7/16 UNF Nylon Insert Nut x 0.687 A/F Zinc

says 11/16" A/F ??? Perhaps they did not understand the question?

Too many cars, too little time!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:30 pm 
TDC Member

[/quote]

I articulated my requirement very well I thought, and I did say that the UNF.NIN.7/16.Z.AF 7/16 UNF Nylon Insert Nut x 0.687 A/F Zinc, seemed to suggest that if it was .687 A/F metric, that it equated to 11/16ths in UNF money. He said it didn't. But in the name of perseverance I will try again tomorrow! You can on occassion's only take the horse to the water..............

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:30 pm 
TDC Member

Hi James, An interesting problem. My go-to place for nuts and bolts is Namrick. http://www.namrick.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh0000 ... 1?a3170263

They are updating their catalogue at present so perhaps give them a day or so.

They are always at the shows and have a great range of fasteners.
Good luck with it ,
Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:41 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:

I articulated my requirement very well I thought, and I did say that the UNF.NIN.7/16.Z.AF 7/16 UNF Nylon Insert Nut x 0.687 A/F Zinc, seemed to suggest that if it was .687 A/F metric, that it equated to 11/16ths in UNF money. He said it didn't. But in the name of perseverance I will try again tomorrow! You can on occassion's only take the horse to the water..............
[/quote]

James,

When I posted about Arun Fasteners I checked the A/F (Across Flats) measurement. It is stated as 0.687" A/F, or 687 thou. So 1" divided by 16 = 0.0625 (1/16"). 0.687 divided by 0.0625 (1/16") = 10.992. So as near as damn it 11/16".

Glen.

Post subject: Aye.....
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:53 pm 
TDC Member

James,
please bear in mind that the original nylocs were not only 11/16"AF but also
were taller than standard nylocs (more thread).
(Triumph also specified taller nylocs for some propshaft flange bolts.)

Ian.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:31 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks all... Appreciate all the information...

So just as a further update, Chris Witor seems to be the only place that has these nuts.. Namrick I tried before to no avail and they advised that due to it being an odd size, they wont be getting any more...

Also spoke with Arun Fasteners again yesterday in a bit more detail, and they confirmed that no longer have these available and wont be getting anymore either as they are not a standard size. So as I say Chris seems to be the only currently well known place for these, without trying ever hardware store in the country.

Up until a year or so ago we had a wonderful local hardware store called Drew's where I used to get all my bits and bobs from. They had to close and so that avenue was lost.. Such a shame.

Thanks again Gents!!