The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sprint Seat adjustment
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:30 pm 
I'm curious if anyone has an answer to this:

The owner's handbook for my '75 build Australian delivered Sprint clearly shows drivers seat height adjustment, yet, mine has none nor is there any indication that such a thing was ever fitted. Does anyone know if this was an option only item not included in the Aus supplied Sprints? I've not seen one yet with this option, which is a shame as the seating position is absolutely diabolical with the seat being too low and the seat squab not supporting the back of the knee on the accelerator leg. On long distance trips this becomes painful, for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:43 pm 
TDC Member

I don't have an answer for Aus Sprints but usually there are three positions at the front & three at the rear. Driver's side only.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:45 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Which side of the seat is the recliner handle?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:41 pm 
TDC Member

I know Stag seats had height adjustment on them,shouldnt be to hard to modify to the Dolomite seat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:59 am 
Quote:
Door side on both seats. I can only presume it was a deleted item to cut costs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:49 am 
TDC Member

Perhaps someone has fitted non-HL seats in it. The ones from the later 1300 and square headlight 1500 look similar but don't have the height adjustment.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:49 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
Quote:
I wondered if someone had replaced a tired driver's seat with a good passenger seat, but the recline handle location suggests not (I don't THINK the handle can be moved to the other side). Passenger seats sit on a pair of runners with vertical studs which pass through the tubular rails of the seat itself and are secured with nuts, whereas the adjustable driver's seat sits on a square frame and is secured with horizontal bolts which also facilitate the adjustment. A driver's seat has no tubular elements beneath.

I don't think it was a delete item as I've never seen an HL with OE seats car without it...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:05 pm 
TDC Member

I seem to remember that an early sprint seat I had did have a 3 position height adjustment mechanism as well as the recline and slide adjustments? I don't think any of my later seats have this.

1973 Dolomite 1850 Automatic
1976 Dolomite 1300 (aka Lucky)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:05 pm 
Quote:
[/quote]

I wondered if someone had replaced a tired driver's seat with a good passenger seat, but the recline handle location suggests not (I don't THINK the handle can be moved to the other side). Passenger seats sit on a pair of runners with vertical studs which pass through the tubular rails of the seat itself and are secured with nuts, whereas the adjustable driver's seat sits on a square frame and is secured with horizontal bolts which also facilitate the adjustment. A driver's seat has no tubular elements beneath.

I don't think it was a delete item as I've never seen an HL with OE seats car without it...
[/quote]

It's a mystery. Not the end of the world but a mystery anyway. The seats are both bolted directly to the rails. It is I suppose possible, a previous owner deleted the mechanism as the car had been a hill climber in its past.

Thanks for the input guys :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:32 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
I'm curious if anyone has an answer to this:

The owner's handbook for my '75 build Australian delivered Sprint clearly shows drivers seat height adjustment, yet, mine has none nor is there any indication that such a thing was ever fitted. Does anyone know if this was an option only item not included in the Aus supplied Sprints? I've not seen one yet with this option, which is a shame as the seating position is absolutely diabolical with the seat being too low and the seat squab not supporting the back of the knee on the accelerator leg. On long distance trips this becomes painful, for sure.
My October '75 built, Australian delivered, Sprint has no height adjustment either. There is NO sign of it ever having had same, nor has it been modified. I dont find the seat to be too low though. Probably because I'm 6'2".
Cheers,
Rob