The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Mike Barker's car...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:02 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGRgOj6Cbn8

Last V5c issued in September 2020 so it might still be for sale, but it features in neither their inventory or last sales section...

Post subject: Re: Mike Barker's car...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:01 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

OK, so this is my first "posting" on here so I'll quickly and briefly introduce myself before I comment on this thread. Happily retired and content. I discovered Petrol almost before I discovered Alcohol and motor cars before the ladies. Possibly something to do with dad reading me the story of Toad of Toad Hall (beep beep) and his fun with four wheels ? I've had and owned Mini's to Bentley's spending most of my driving career (approaching 50 years with a licence .... ) "penduluming" or swinging between Fords and Jaguars.

Its partially because of the ever increasing "Ford" tax on just about anything Ford from the last Century I decided to seek out a nice Dolomite Sprint ....

Along the way, I "discovered" this rather splendid example UTU 233M. I enquired about the car as part of the learning curve and particularly "values" opposed to "prices". Part of the cars appeal was that it was originally registered in the Chester area, "TU" and its not too far away from where I grew up.
I was kindly informed that as the car was regarded as one of the "best in the country" that at the time (roughly May 2022) the car had been withdrawn from the marketplace and would remain in stock as a "speculative item". However, I was invited to retain my interest and enquire again at some future date.

I had a little later on the opportunity to buy "back" one of my old Fords, a Cortina Uren / Raceproved based S****e, the asking price was approaching 35k (£££'s). Deciding I'd be bonkers to reach that far into my back pocket for something I'd already owned and sold just over a decade ago for a third of that amount, I wondered if Woldside Classics may be interested in such an offer for UTU. They'd already indicated 20k (£££'s) wouldn't touch the sides (!) I did re-contact Woldside and yes, for the amount mentioned, I could become the new custodian of the car. I considered it for about half an hour in which time I decided I'd cry each and every time a drop of rain fell on it or it suffered the indignity of getting dirty. I drive my cars for fun, I take them out simply for something to do. I tinker and improve, wipe with an oily rag. Something like UTU 233M deserves it's own residence with "staff" to maintain and pamper it. Its probably the best of its kind, like a lot of other "famous" machines that men and women have created.
Looking again at Woldside Classics https://www.woldsideclassics.co.uk/vehi ... 30cdc7a194 it appears that UTU is back in the marketplace.

For myself I now have a nice "starting off" example of a Sprint bought at the beginning of October, for a good bit less than the numbers above. It has its issues and niggles, I seem to remember, they had them when new ? Enjoying my "Sprinting" all the same.

Well, that's it from me for the moment. And yes, I was an Undertaker, for several years. The best job I ever had. I wish I'd started at this young ladies age ............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLGXgPUIehw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:09 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Welcome (I bet you don't often hear that as an undertaker!!)

Let us know what niggles you're suffering and we'll try our best to assist...and post some pictures of it as well, we may well know some of its history

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:10 pm 

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1534095

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:18 pm 

Thank you for the welcome xvivalve. I'll return to my car again, the niggles are all part of the fun (?). Its interesting to see Woldside have today advertised UTU on Car and Classic. They contacted me again via email only this last week end, saying that I could have the car for Christmas ! I've since replied to them, politely declining their offer ....