The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:51 am 
TDC Member

Hi all. My local upholsterer and I have been trying to find a suitable Beige colored original style, upholstery fabric here in Australia for my wife's 1850 (Carmine) and have had no luck thus far. I have also inquired with Aldridge Trimming, Martrim and Newton Commercial in the UK without success. It seems that black is available, but is anybody on this forum able to give me any leads as to where I might be able to purchase some in Beige please? Cheers. Ken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=37723

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:15 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

I believe that if it's a carmine red car then it should have a Chestnut interior (very dark brown which has faded). To check, pull down the armrest on the back seat to see the original colour.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:34 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
I believe that if it's a carmine red car then it should have a Chestnut interior (very dark brown which has faded). To check, pull down the armrest on the back seat to see the original colour.
That's correct for between '74 and '76, but post '76 many Carmine cars had a beige interior. Some very few '73 and '74 registered Carmine cars had a grey interior.

Ted Middleton's Carmine car, OUL 702R originally had seats that were a mix of beige (cloth bits) and chestnut (vinyl bits) but one of the subsequent owners took them out despite them being in good condition and aware how unique they were...and wouldn't let me have them! No idea what happened to them after that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:44 am 
TDC Member

Definitely beige and has the correct beige number code on the commission plate, but yes the original BriNylon cloth has faded somewhat to more of a yellow colour and has started to disintegrate from the effects of UV. The vinyl sections of the seats are a "mottled' beige" and definitely not Chestnut. The topside of the rear seat armrest shows the original beige colour. But the good news is that my upholsterer has located a close match in a beige ribbed velour automotive fabric from the US so I will give that a go. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:41 pm 
TDC Member

Hi all. :bluewave:
Thought I would follow up with how I went obtaining some suitable beige fabric for the Carmine 1850. Firstly, I found a company called "Palaz Tex Automotive Textiles" who are located in Istanbul (Google it!) and have a ribbed velour fabric in both a beige and in black at US$49.90 per metre. However, the beige colour wasn't suitable and the postage cost to Australia was prohibitive. I eventually found an auto upholsterer in Melbourne who had a friend in the trade who had collected rolls of early automotive fabrics from the 70's & 80's and had two beige fabrics in ribbed velour, (See attached photos) one of which suited and although at a cost considerably more per metre than PalazTex, the postage cost was a fraction of getting it via DHL from Istanbul. The fabric is not an exact match for the original as the ribs are a bit wider and I don't think the colour is an exact match, but it is close and my local upholsterer now has enough of it to re-cover the seats.

Cheers, Ken.