The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: dellorto v's webber
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:20 pm 
Opinions purlease, whats better Webber or Delorto 45's on a Sprint?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:33 pm 
TDC Member

Not a lot in it. Webers are more plentiful but I believe Delortos are the better carb for ease of tuning. Both will give similar results.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:50 pm 
^^^^^^^

what he said

the design of the carbs is very similar, there's soooo little between them, dellortos may come to u a tad cheaper. weber spares more readily available, not sure how spares prices compare, but after reconning my 45's i can tell you for webers they aint cheap.

in terms of response, performance etc, virtually nothing in it (although some anorak may tell u some microscopic detail that will make zip all difference in the real world).

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 am 
You'll be happy with either set up.

Steve :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:02 am 
just bought an engine; ligtened & balanced, lumpy cam with a pair of 45 Dellorto's . Been stood a while, but only done 2000 miles since rebuild. Owner claimed 170 bhp so it should be nice after a freshen up.

Post subject: 40s v 45s
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:56 am 
I will bow to those who have far greater knowledge than me but I found that with the right set up 40's gave better initial acceleration whereas if you want top speed then 45's are better. From memory (nearly 10yrs ago) I achieved 138 BHP at the wheels with 40's (fast road cam, 4:1 tubular manifold, vernier pully, sports exhaust, lightened flywheel, ported/polished head and K&N's). I used Delortos only because the right pair appeared at the right price.

I wanted accel and the set up worked very very well and was extremely usable in all conditions (town driving / heavy traffic). Be prepared for a drop in fuel economy of nearly 50%.

Post subject: Re: 40s v 45s
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:11 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
I will bow to those who have far greater knowledge than me but I found that with the right set up 40's gave better initial acceleration whereas if you want top speed then 45's are better. From memory (nearly 10yrs ago) I achieved 138 BHP at the wheels with 40's (fast road cam, 4:1 tubular manifold, vernier pully, sports exhaust, lightened flywheel, ported/polished head and K&N's). I used Delortos only because the right pair appeared at the right price.

I wanted accel and the set up worked very very well and was extremely usable in all conditions (town driving / heavy traffic). Be prepared for a drop in fuel economy of nearly 50%.
That should be about right. The smaller throttle bodies on a 40 will make for better low speed running, but they don't have enough flow for big power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:03 pm 
Lotus used dellortos as standard equipment on all their engines untill the early 90's when they couldn't pass emisions regs.
Also dellortos tend to have a cold start device which i dont think is the norm with webbers.
And Dellortos aren't cheap for spares either.