The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:12 am 
starting the resto on my sprint has been incredibly nostalgic. Prompted by 2F45T4U's thread "I have no friends" ( viewtopic.php?t=4812 ) I remembered taking the sprint up to noosa one year with the GF and a windsurfer strapped to the roof. Noosa is now a big resort in queensland, but back in '83 you could get a campsite by the sea. Bit different from an english paddock. I dug through my old pics, scanned them and took a trip down memory lane.

excuse the moth-eaten bits on the pic. Love that old 70's style tent ! Windsurfing with the old wooden boom original windsurfer was good fun.

As I recall, we didn't have any matresses to sleep on and the GF was a bit dark about sleeping on the ground. No sense of adventure.

Took the sprint north from Noosa towards Fraser island and Tin Can bay. Predictably my driving skills were not up to the speed I was travelling. As I recall, going sideways was fine, but oversteer got a bit much and panic set in, so I hit the brakes....

no damage done !

this was the damage back in sydney when a pest forgot to turn right, I had a hunch she was going straight on, in a lane clearly marked "right turn only" and I gently swept across in front of her, but she was determined to go straight ahead. Unfortunately she took off before the police arrived and they could do nothing as she later gave a false statement. Door was replaced by a second hand one.

I think these were taken in the rockingham carpark just after she was registered in WA. Police car in the background is just a coincidence. 'bout 1986.

Up in the NT, on the road to Wangi falls in Litchfield National park. I had just ripped the exhaust off in a dip in the road, bottomed her out and stopped to take a look and thought a pic would be nice. Later that day I got bogged in soft sand. 1987-88 iirc.

fast forward to 1997, just arrived in Lucindale, my eldest son was all of 18 months. Drove across from Sydney, car was unregistered but a few calculations suggested that driving, even with getting caught, was cheaper than the car removal, some 1500km. As luck would have it, a policeman nicked me about 10km from my departure point, driving down canterbury road, dunno how he spotted me amongst the traffic, but he saw the dog and luggage, took pity on me and let me go. The convoy to SA from Sydney consisted of my Brother in law driving the Pantec, father driving the SAAB900, wife driving the Subaru 1800 4WD and me in the triumph. Apart from some clutch problems when the car got hot, she made it safely.

Sad, but 26 years of owning her, and these are about the only pics I could dredge up. Moral of the story ? take more pics.

stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:34 am 
Nice pics ther, in hindsight i should have taken pics of some of the wrecks i had in the late 80s/ early 90s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:57 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Great pics Stu...some nice remote looking locations,makes a nice change from the normal car show stuff that i take..and you are absolutely right..you can never take enough pictures.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:04 am 
Excellent pictures. Get the feeling that I need to get back to down under as my last of several visits has been a couple of years ago where I enjoyed it for a two month vacation........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:34 am 
Nice pics, those tracks look like fun 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:17 am 
the pictures of the dolly on the sand road. thats not on frazer island is it?? even the 4wd struggle there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:49 pm 
nah, we got to the Fraser island Ferry and realised we couldn't actually drive anywhere if we went across, so we turned around and came back to Noosa. Revisited Noosa last year at Christmas and tried to find that old campsite, but now it is all built up and real estate is a tad expensive.

thanks for the comments.

stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:19 pm 
Hi Stu

Only one good camping ground left in Noosa thats the Munna Point Caravan Park , on the Noosa River about a 5 min drive to Hasting Street , My family and I are there every Easter . I see your having a decent HeatWave there in SA not good for anything , Hope all goes well with your Sprint Restore

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:28 am 
cheers steve, my parents are up in Kureelpa, and the next time we drive up it will be in the sprint :D

heat wave ? yeah, 7 days of 35C+, at least the cricket is on :thumbsup:

stu