The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:32 pm 
Its been nearly a year since i was started a project..the 1500fwd and i was starting to get irritable!! :|

Well on friday my Astra came home for the first time in a few years and with the Triumphs sleeping in there garage it was time to start sorting it out!!

Same thing as the Triumphs, more of a rolling resto than a full strip down nut and bolt resto as i just dont have the space!!

First job was the get the engine running 100% as it hadn't had a service for more than 5 years and it was starting to show with a massive misfire, new points-condenser-leads and plugs sorted that out and by friday night i had a nice running car !!

Saturday.... and i started stripping bits off and by saturday night..........

And today saw me having a right go at the bodywork, Valance, headlight panels came out and i cut 90% of the rot out the front end!!

So the car now looks like this waiting for a bit more prep and then new panels!!

Still got full sills to replace along with 1 if not both rear arches and rear corners, hoping to have it done for around April!!

I know its not a Triumph but thought you may like to see what im upto this winter!!

Nathan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:59 pm 
Excellent Nathan. Keep the pics coming

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:01 pm 
Cool. It'll be done way before April. I know what you are like.

Keep going 8) 8) 8)

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:28 pm 
you are mad, hope you have a heater in the gargae!

I kepp seeing one of those Astras in a local village being piloted by an old dear who looks to about 150 years old. I dont think the car has been out of second gear since shes had it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:31 am 
I'm looking forward to seeing this when it's finished, judging by the standard of your Triumph's Nathan it's going to be a cracker.

Keep the pictures coming.

Steve :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:44 pm 
Thanks guys, ill keep the photo comming, though as its christmas and the fact its dark when i get home its probably going to be weekends when most of the work is done!!

J, i have a heater but it was only turned on when the car was in the garage as it got frosty...if anything i was roasting...you dont need a heater if you work harf enough!! :lol:

The car looks sound in the first photo but when you start digging it gets worse!!

Its been ff the road for 5 years and unfortunatly stored in a damp garage for 3 of those and due to the damp requires all new panels along the bottom along with new brake lines and other mechanicals!!

Luckily i know of most of the rot spots as they were there when i was filling them with filler 14 years ago, like they say you live and learn and iv learnt alot in 14yrs!!

If i can get it anywhere near the standard of the 1300/1500 then i will be very happy, its going to be standard through and through with only period accessories added (if any)

The plan is April as its 30 years of the Astra next year and id love for it to be at the celerbrations and Billing!!

Wish me luck...this is the worst one so far!!

Nathan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 pm 
Ah, the things you can do if you have a garage at the end of the garden with lights, power and heat 8) 8) 8)

Envious.... Moi? Non! Errrrrr, oui!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:53 pm 
Great stuff. I would take my hat off to you Nathan if it weren't so bloody cold! :o

What is panel availability like on these btw?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:21 pm 
great project to keep you busy over the winter months :D im sure you will be at the 30th anniversary show in it :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:47 pm 
Quote:

What is panel availability like on these btw?
Panel availability is quite good, i bought a complete sill, front Valance and headlight panel which are genuine Vauxhall, rear corners (from rear arch to rear valance) and either side rear arch repair panels for just over £200 i think with the Genuine stuff being the most expensive which you expect!! The last time i bought a copy of the front wing they were £17 each, there now £80+

Im struggling to find the other side headlight panel (I may just make one)

Engine parts seem to be getting harder for it...it uses the early Opel OHV and not the later Vauxhall OHC engine, starter motors and alternators are a problem i faced a few years ago!!
The other annoying thing is Vauxhall used to different ignitions....its either a bosch or Delco...mine is Delco!

Unforunatly most Astras are being modified so it dont leave many standard ones around and to anyone who knows me will know i like my cars standard apart from period accessories, i havent got a problem with modifying aslong as there is a good percentage between the two!!

Nathan

Last edited by Nathan Mwk 627G on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:43 pm 
Go one, make one. Looks quite simple. You know you can do it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:12 pm 
Done any more on it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:52 am 
Unfortunatly not, the tool i use to drill out the spot welds has broke and im waiting on a replacement, can use a normal drill bit but it can turn messy!!

Gonna do some more today asill report back later!!

Nathan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:43 pm 
Ok took the plunge and drilled the spot welds out the old way, managed to split the valance/crossmember and cut the hole to accomadate the other towing eye
(German cars had two, english cars only had one) luckily i cut the hole in the right place and everying married up ok!! the valance in the pics is just sitting to place, not welded as yet!!

Still got to sererate the headlight panel and make a new one for the other side and replace part of the innerwing, just a case of cleaning up the innerwings and weld a small hole!!

When thats done the body is 25% done!!

showing how much metal i had to cut out!!

just under a year ago i was doing this one...

and the year before that..the 1300.....

will i ever learn?? :roll:

Nathan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:46 am 
Probably not, but you know you enjoy it :lol: :lol: :lol: