The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:36 pm 
Well, had my first major set back last night - crack the front windscreen taking it out.. Boo !

Careful not to make the same mistake again, I got the rear glass out no worries. I so annoyed I crack the front one ! At least i'll learn from my mistake.

Also nailed getting door cards off.. check me :roll:

Doors however, are becoming the bain of my life. I still haven't managed to get the front doors off.. having problems drilling therough the rivit with the frost check stap type thing.. I assume I'm meant to be drilling through it ? I think I read that somewhere.. maybe..

Back doors, similar problem. The 2 bolts holding the check strap on there aren't exactly easy to get to. I think I'll hove to grid the rivit off (?) as when I did get the top one coming out it got blocked by the 'ridge' of the rivit.

Still loving working on it. 1850 gets a look in this weekend too- hazar !

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:15 pm 
TDC Member

You don't need to get rid of the rivets on the back door. I think I ended up using a socket wrench with an extension piece to get at the small bolts, looking at the picture I have of the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:48 pm 
My Haynes manual doesn't tell me too, but I cant get the bolt past it.

I tried getting a socket on there but that wasn't happening either ! I'll give it another go tomorrow night but I'm not feeling confident..

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:45 pm 
I had to grind them off the 1300 fwd with an electric file :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:10 pm 
Quote:
Back doors, similar problem. The 2 bolts holding the check strap on there aren't exactly easy to get to. I think I'll hove to grid the rivit off (?) as when I did get the top one coming out it got blocked by the 'ridge' of the rivit.
I took one of my back doors off the other day, just levered a screwdriver between the check strap bracket and the pin holding the check strap in, it came straight out. Don't know if it was supposed to though...

Post subject: Re: NOT INTERCHANGEABLE
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:22 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
An 1850 OD Box would fit ino, uh.. the 'space' of a non OD 1850 box ?

Phil
to fit an OD box to a non OD 1850 you'll also need to change the gearbox cross member and rubber mount, you'll need the bit of wiring loom that connects to the OD (the plug is already there as are the wires in the car, it goes in place of the existing reverse light switch wires)

You'll need to aquire/fabricate the bracket with the bolts on that the cross member attaches to. There are probably three holes in the floor each side of the tunnel, the front pair are for 1850 non OD, the back pair for sprint/1850OD all of them use the middle pair.

Oh, and you'll need a speedo cable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:01 pm 
WHen removing the gearbox, how important is it to have the trolly jack taking the weight of the engine ?

Only reason I ask is, if the jack takes theweight of it, it'll be stuck there until I get rid of the car then I have no jack.. will the engine mounts not hold it's weight ?

... or is it a case of the the weight then gently lower the jack so there isn't a sudden 'pulse' of weight ?

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:49 pm 
TDC Member

The engine sits on a subframe, so what you could do is loosen the subframe bolts which attach it to the body, which should give enough movement to put the tail of the gearbox on the ground. I'd suggest leaving the engine and gearbox till last though, and just lifting the body off of the subframe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:10 pm 

Quote:
WHen removing the gearbox, how important is it to have the trolly jack taking the weight of the engine ?Phil
Is this for the 1300? If so, the trolley jack is only needed to take the strain off the input shaft to the gearbox, thus enabling you to slide it away from the engine easily.

You'll need the jack back in place to help line things back up if you decide to refit it but I guess it's a one way street with that 1300 :woohoo:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:32 am 
Well after romoving all the bots, and arguing with the hunk of junk for ages, getting in a rigyht strop, pulling and shounting at the stupid gearbox.. it turned out I had one bot left in :roll:

Little bugger will be coming out tomorrow.. if I can get away that is..

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:06 pm 
Got it out yesterday :D

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:28 pm 
Ok, so I am thinking I'll get the shell taken away on Saturday. Just to check, what should I have got off ? I think I have got most of it..

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:35 pm 
Dash out? Clocks? Brake drums/pistons/disks? Wiring loom? Exhaust? I'm sure you've probably got most of it.

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:06 pm 
Quote:
Dash out? Clocks? Brake drums/pistons/disks? Wiring loom? Exhaust? I'm sure you've probably got most of it.

Ken
Dash - Yes
Clock - Yes
Brake stuff - No?
Wiring loom - Uhm.. what might that be :roll:
Exhaust - You wouldn't want it hah..

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:51 pm 

Wiring loom is ALL the electrical wiring in the car.

Runs front to back, in and out of the dashboard and all round the engine bay like veins in your body.

Luckily, unlike veins, most of it plugs together so you can get it out in stages.

Get your man to pick it up Thursday cos I need the wheels :P :P