The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:44 pm 
Quote:
Lovely work, top stuff.

Do me a small favour though, put the luggage rack on round the correct way please. Ta.

(Sometimes I really wish the pedant in my head would just STFU and let me look at pictures of craftsmanship like this in peace. This is such a time)

Hi,

It only goes on that way. Logically as well it looks correct from the point of view that the loop is there to catch any luggage that may slide backward as the car accelerates. Also, it was on that way from the start!

Cheers

Phil

PS: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14025 - can anyone help me with transport?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:03 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

The raised part should be at the front to stop luggage hitting you on the back of the head in an accident. This is the greatest acceleration/deceleration a vehicle will experience by far. Look at flat bed lorries on the road, they always have a raised wall at the front of the trailer bed to protect the driver, sides and rear are optional.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:15 pm 
Quote:
The raised part should be at the front to stop luggage hitting you on the back of the head in an accident. This is the greatest acceleration/deceleration a vehicle will experience by far. Look at flat bed lorries on the road, they always have a raised wall at the front of the trailer bed to protect the driver, sides and rear are optional.

point conceded, I will see if the fitment can be altered at a later point :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:58 am 
That's looking good now :D

SHELLY :bluewave:

Just PM'D you

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:54 am 
latest pics

:eyes4u:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:00 pm 
update for you 'orrible lot....

the car now has

Fully functioning headlights
Horn
Indicators
reversing light

and the best bit is *DDDDDDDDDDDDRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR*

the clutch works too!

*Tish*

So it is with great happiness that I can announce that the car has made it's first journey under it's own motive power in eight years :D

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:18 pm 
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Nice feeling, isn't it?

About bloody time mind! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:28 pm 
not my work either!

Cant decide if that's good as I'm lazy or bad as I'm missing out :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:41 am 
I'm sure you will soon make up for lost time Phil and get plenty of miles under the cars tyres - they really are nice cars to drive (as you will soon find out :wink:).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:26 pm 
welldone looks good be nice to see it at a few of the shows over summer :bluewave:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:19 pm 
no guarantee but I am HOPING to attend the august tatton park show...

I really can't wait to drive it even though it's the first car i bought without ever driving it or one of it's type first!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:04 pm 
Well, it's been a while, but I got around to doing something on the TC today. Only rebuilding the rear brakes, but as I have never done anything like this before, I was rather chuffed with myself.

below is a copy of a post I've made on another forum detailing my work. PLease remember, I'm not a mechanic and may have used the wrong names in some places. TBH I'm not too fussed about that!

Today was spent working on the triumph's rear brakes. Sadly, I didn't manage to get quite as far as I wanted, which was to have the brakes bled up and working. THe reason for this was all the unions were siezed in the back of the old slave cylinders and as a result I had to cut the (admittedly flaky) rear lines.

However, the car now rolls a lot more freely and there is a discernable difference in the car's move-ability between the handbrake being on in the car and being off (unlike before!)

*SAFETY FACIST NOTE* THe following is intended as an indication of the work methods I employed today and is in no way designed to be taken as an instructional guide. In other words if you bu66er things up after following the sequence of work employed here, then that's entirely your look out

My overall experience was entirely an enjoyable one and found it immensely satisfying to have improved the vehicle's mobility. Had i been able to undo the brake line unions without resorting to cutting the lines, I would have been even happier, but such is life when working on old cars.

Pics;

Remove the two screws that secure the drum to the hub. In this case, both sides came undone with no bother at all.

Remove the drum by pulling towards you - this may require some jigging about. Both of mine came off fairly easily, and both drums were found to be in good condition with no detectable lip or wear to the surface of the drum.

The "gubbins"

As you can see, there is a good thickness of material on these shoes, which leads me to think that this was a well cared for car that they fully intended to carry on using had other problems not reared their heads. Sadly, the surface of the shoes is knackered with large chunks of material missing so they are consigned to the bin and the shoes sold to me by Nick C will be used. Cheers Nick, they're in great condition and they were well priced too!

First step after revealing the above is to remove the old shoes so I can clean the backing plate up a touch. This is done by gripping the little clips visible with a pair of pliers, depressing the spring and then rotating the pliers through 90 degrees which will free the washer off and permit the removal of the retaining post and spring etc.

As the spring is under tension, be careful to ensure no bits fly off into the wide blue yonder!

With the spring and whatnot removed.

Both sides done, with pins removed too.

It should now be possible to remove the shoes from the backing plate without too much hassle. If not using a digicamera (as I was) or not entirely familiar with the braking system, It is wise to make some diagrams noting the location of the springs and such as they are removed. To be quite honest, the Triumph's brakes are entirely a simple affair, but I did this anyway.

Post shoe removal... (where's it's socks gone?!)

This pic shows the internal self adjuster. This was stuck in one position and could have been the partial cause of my problems that i'd noted.

Both the line unions were well and truly stuck in the old cylinder, so I decided to scrap the lines and cut them to facilitate the removal of the cylinder from the backing plate. I did try undoing them properly, but as can be seen from the nearest nut, they just rounded off, so out came the snips.

As the Trimuph uses a sliding cylinder, they are retained with two clips that lock into place over the tail of the assembly behind the backing plate. THis photo shows one removed all together and one partially removed. I did this by carefully tapping on the open end of the clip (which is a 'U' shape) and working it out of the way.

Here is the other part of the clip system shown for clarity

Both parts of the clip removed. They lock together by means of the holes on the left hand one being pushed over the "pimples" visible on the right hand piece

Removing the slave cylinder.

old and new

Dousing everything in brake cleaner to get rid of all the congealed crud

Locating the new slave cylinder over the handbrake/adjuster pivot

Sliding it all home

other side, showing the location of the pivot

old and new shoes

relocating the clips

Springs located on new shoes

LIttle 'H' Shaped dufah - hooks into the squareish hole on the brake shoe

thus;

It does fit vertically on the left hand side of that cut out and was duly located after the pic was taken

Once the springs are hooked into place in the shoes, you can then start reassembly.
Reinsert the adjuster wheel in the end of the slave cylinder with the cut out vertically orientated, and then slide the springs over the half shaft's flange (f'nar f'nar - he said flange!!) Locate the upper two edges behind the big bit at the top of the backing plate, locate the lower two ends in the adjuster and against the slave cylinder end, whilst doing this, note that the handbrake lever is through the squareish hole and resting against the H-shaped dufah from before. Then reinstall the locating/retaining pins, springs and clips and it should look like this.

Once the brakes are reassembled, with this sort of adjuster, it is necessary to work the handbrake to wind the shoes out into their operating position.

Final note: When working on a car in this fashion, please ensure it is securely supported. I elected to use a level concrete base, using a trolley jack under the diff to lift the car, before I then used a pair of matching axle stands to hold the car solid.

Next week, I plan to get the front balljoints done, or the front brakes if the parts arrive in time. perhaps both!

I will cover the bleeding of the brakes at a later date. With all the lines cut, this was not possible today.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:25 pm 
So you did cut the pipes in the end then? Good stuff man. Remember to use steel for the new ones, or Kunifer, but not copper where the wheel cylinders move and the pipes flex, albeit slightly.
Those retaining clips appear to have become rusty, were the rubber gaiters split, allowing muck in behind the cylinder, or are the rubbers missing? Something to consider as those rubber jobbies are essential to keep the slides clean and to retain the grease.

One last point if I may Phil; is the new cylinder definitely the same bore size as the old one?
Some suppliers will give you later ones which do fit, and even look the same. They also work but, if only one cylinder is being changed, then it's best to be certain that its I/D is the same as that fitted to the car. Edited: D'oh! Pay attention, JPB, of course he changed both cylinders, so as long as they're the same size as each other, it'll all be fine..... :oops:

I meant to say to you in my text earlier, before fitting that new master cylinder, pour a few drops of fresh brake fluid in to the reservoir, shake the cylinder about a bit and gently move the piston to satisfy yourself that it's all nice and free to move, the one I had from that bloke is, I expect that your one is too, :) but it's better to check/do this before fitting to the car. At least the rubbers in these masters are clearly fresh, unlike the stuff that some suppliers send out which has been stored badly, is seized, needs resealing or just doesn't bleed properly as a result of a rusty spring in the recup valve.

Keep these updates coming please, it's all good, clear to see, easy to follow stuff that will inspire others I'm sure.

:thumbsup:

Man, that's one pretty car.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:50 pm 
Hi John,

The boots are all present and correct. bar a few cobwebs they're in good nick with nice supple rubber!
the slides have little more than a light smattering of surface rust. This is likely because there was no grease at all present when disassembled. I've given them a good rubbing over with a wire brush and I;m happy that they are ok for re-use.

WHat sort of grease would you use on that clip part?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:11 am 
I always use Castrol MS3 when I've had mine apart for cleaning, but that's more a result of my having a large tub of the stuff than for any other reason. :lol:
I often thought that chain grease, the sort that comes in an aerosol can, would be good for the slides but haven't bothered to try it since basically, any waterproof grease would be fine in there.

Glad the rubber efforts are OK, strikes me that car's going to be back on the road very soon at the present rate of work, assuming you don't get too bogged down with those annoying things like making a living between Triumph sessions! :wink: