The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Strange lack of drive
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:25 pm 
Help guys this is really starting to worry me :snivel: .Quite a few times though usually from a standing start I have let the clutch out (recent new clutch) only to feel a vibration from the n/s and no drive letting off the throttle and then on again the vibration ceased with a slight grind and drive was restored I have also noted an oil leak feom the end of the n/s shaft though not in the drum.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:13 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Does this car have overdrive?

If so it sounds like a failing overdrive clutch.

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:19 am 

Yes it does...

You must make sure that your overdrive is disengaging when switched out. If in any doubt, do not reverse or you will damage the one way roller clutch.

You could start by doing an oil change and cleaning the filters if this is a one off occurence and be sure the solenoid is working properly. Otherwise I would say you need to budget for a replacement overdrive. The overdrive does come off the back of the box in place on an 1850, bit its a bit tedious and messy.

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:18 pm 
Blimey you are bang on :D the money the overdrive has been staying engaged and been slow to disengage please tell me this is not going to be tough to fix :snivel: or is it too late already??.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:45 am 

Just dont reverse it under any circumstances until you have dropped the plate off the bottom, cleaned out the filters and put it back with clean new oil.
It may then be all right...or it may not and you may need a recon overdrive.

If the overdrive is still engaged then drive it forwards until warm and try and disengage it. Do not acclearte hard with o/d engaged in 1st and second...keep it gentle. When its disengaged, then you can reverse safely. Do not enage o/d again until you have cleaned the filters. One is under a plug. Its supposed to need a tool to undo, but I manage with 2 centre punches as prongs and a screwdriver bertween them as a lever to undo anti clockwise....normal thread.

You may get away with it as long as you don't reverse any more...if it still slips in drive then you will need to recon or replace it. A replacement J type is about 250 quid.

Jonners

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:31 pm 
Cheers Jonners :D

The overdrive is defo disengaging as i am careful to check this its just a bit slow doing it.I will do as you mentioned and change the gear oil and filters.

Cheers

Si

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:36 pm 

Drop the oil out from the gearbox drain plug first. If its quite black ans sloppy looking like old engine oil and you still have slippage, your o/d cone clutch may be breaking up. Still, no point in worrying about that until you have got it sorted engagement speed wise....if it gets a bit livelier when you have done a good run and its warmed up then chances are it will all come good with a filter clean and fresh oil.

Jonners